Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 02:22:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: British mathematician divides by zero - solves 1200yr old problem  (Read 6048 times)
heneganj
« on: December 07, 2006, 10:43:05 AM »

Dr James Anderson, from the University of Reading's computer science department, says his new theorem solves an extremely important problem - the problem of nothing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/content/articles/2006/12/06/divide_zero_feature.shtml
and
http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/12/07/0416223

To understand the derivation of 'nullity' you need to view the video (in the first link) which is in Real Video (RAM) format.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 10:56:21 AM by heneganj » Logged
heneganj
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 11:01:06 AM »

Question is, if 'i' (sqrt(-1)) spawned a new field of mathematics - ie complex numbers, is there any way that nullity could be used to solve new problems?

More specifically, now with the 'new found' ability to raise 0 to the power 0 (or divide 0 by 0) is there any way classic attractors or fractal equations that escape to infinity (or zero) be tamed in some way to use nullity?
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 11:24:47 AM »

infinity is often taken to be part of the complex numbers, which completes the riemann sphere mapping of the complex plane.

as for diving by zero, he's basically discovered what a NaN is! he makes ridiculous analogies with planes crashing and hearts stopping, yet his scheme doesn't allow anything to be computed that couldn't be computed before...

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 11:42:04 AM »

Not being able to divide by zero never sat well with me.

Nor did the concept of infinity!

But I always felt they went together and you could not have one without the other, I just never had enough credentials to get anyone to listen!

Thanks for the link.

I'll check out the article when time permits...

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 07:05:57 AM »

Jason Henegan wrote:
>
>    Dr James Anderson, from the University of Reading's computer
>    science department, says his new theorem solves an extremely
>    important problem - the problem of nothing.

wink  Maybe he can get with the people at Microsoft, since they have always had a problem with just defining "nothing":
      Null
      Null Character
      Nothing
      Zero Length
      Empty
      Void
      ""

wink   cheesy   grin   smiley

eNZedBlue
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 01:09:05 AM »

More specifically, now with the 'new found' ability to raise 0 to the power 0 (or divide 0 by 0) is there any way classic attractors or fractal equations that escape to infinity (or zero) be tamed in some way to use nullity?

Perhaps the Circle Inversion Transformation could be useful in some way? Solutions to certain classic problems (e.g. the Apollonius 3-circle problem) can be found by inverting the geometry about a circle. This avoids some nasty divide by zeros and preserves various geometrical properties. For example, lines and circles that intersect before the transformation will intersect afterwards and vice versa. Basically you transform the problem into another spatial mapping, solve it there, and then transform it back.

This is relevant to the divide-by-zero problem because NaN/nullity etc is geometrically related to the inversion of the origin point using an inversion circle centred on the origin. To generalise, X/Y can be obtained by plotting Y and then inverting it using an inversion circle centred on the origin with radius X.

Division by zero of a real number r intuitively results in inifinty (becase you can take zero away from any number an infinite number of times). However it also results in negative infinity (since you can take zero away from -r as well). Inverting the origin about a unit circle to compute 1/0 yields a circle of infinite radius centred about the origin. Therefore the geometric meaning of NaN in the complex plane is not a single point but rather "infinity in all directions" (I think).

I wonder if circle inversion in the complex plane could be used to "tame" some fractal equations? I have generated some fractals using circle inversion a while ago but the results are basically simple 2-D distortions of the original fractal.
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 01:11:46 AM »

if you add something to nullity you still get nullity, so effectively you've got a weird symbol for a nan - it doesn't really assist any computation, just tells you when your answer is bogus wink

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 02:47:24 AM »

I agree that he's not bringing in anything new - he's simply teaching the idea of "NAN" at a lower education level than normal.

My own theory is that:

zero*infinity = 1
  -zero*infinity = -1
   zero*-infinity = -1
  -zero*-infinity = 1

(just kidding) cheesy
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 04:23:55 PM by David Makin » Logged

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 03:01:56 AM »

the interaction of infinite and infinitesimal variables has been rigorously worked out by conway (as documented by knuth) quite some time ago through the system of "surreal" numbers.

there's a good introduction at http://www.tondering.dk/claus/sur15.pdf but i can highly recommend knuth's book (info at http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/sn.html) since it's much more like a story than a normal mathematical exposition! you follow the development of the subject by two "desert island mathematician" protagonists, which is interesting because it sheds light on how the theorems are discovered - number systems are typically taught in the same way as religion, as canon!

it's not a terribly useful system for normal computation (although charles might find them a good substitute for fixed point numbers, who knows tongue stuck out), but it's an excellent read and taught me the basics of axiomatic set theory - a much nicer intro before doing it at university with its usual rigor.

heneganj
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 11:09:45 PM »

Charles is kicking the bare ass of the Mandel and Julia sets recently!  I have high hopes Charles is going to hit upon something huge!

And let's face it, we are getting lots more value for money out of Charles than Michael 'pump and dump' Barnsley...

Come on Charles!!   cheesy
hoogamaphone
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2008, 07:08:45 AM »

I remember when I was in elementary school, I learned about i=sqrt(-1) and how it was this new number that was invented, which helped mathematicians solve some equations that they couldn't solve before.

It was at that point that I had the great idea of revolutionizing mathematics. I was going to invent a new number to solve the problem of how to divide by zero. I sat down and started to try to work out how I would carry out calculations with this number, and then realized that it was useless. This is not a new idea at all. I'm sure thousands of people have thought of it before.
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 02:52:29 AM »

The discussion of nullity  I am sure will be of suprise to many ordinary people but of course those who have to deal with the impracticality of some of our rules may benefit from following what  Anderson suggests. I too once laboured under the false assumption that mathematics was a natural element of my world instead of part of a constructed model of infinite possibility space as i refer to it. The constructed arithmetic model of the transreals for computational arithmetic has much to recommend it. However the concept of nothingness emptiness etc is not to be confused with the requirements of a pragmatic computational arithmetic for dealing with distinct valuations. The inclusion of nullity and infinity as fixed entities on or off, in or out of the set of reals is a welcome clarification of the constructed nature of these fractal metrics.

With reference to the imaginary valuation i : it was always an operator which we were taught was a valuation at a primary level. For anything to be a valuation it must be a reference to a perceived value or quantity. The reals are so far our culturally neutral quantifiers as are binary representations of the reals. What we do is to try to devise operators and so methods to map our value exeriences onto the reals. Thus millions of colours are now specifiable by a real quantifier which our machine methodology is able to map onto a screen as a colour value. Like i the nullity is an operator and because of machine methodology we can realise both of these to practical advantage.

How does it affect my notion of reality? It further identifies the constructed nature of that concept and the cultural forces that determine or maintain it.

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: