Logo by wmauzey - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 10:21:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Finding Fractal Related Software  (Read 64299 times)
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« on: September 30, 2006, 08:25:13 PM »

For those that wish to find a few resources on fractals, mainly software, the following may be of interest:

http://www.Nahee.com/PNL/Fractal_Software.html

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:58:39 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

The_Fractalist
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 04:41:45 PM »

I know you've had this web page available for people to reference for a long time, and it's been quite a while since I last visited it, until I saw your post here.  I'm glad I just went there because I saw a few items I didn't know about.

Thanks for keeping us all informed with everything !!!!!

erthbndangl
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 11:40:09 PM »

Wow...there are ALOT of programs out there! To be expected of course wink but still amazing!  Thanks for the link, that website looks like a great place to reference cheesy
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 01:24:53 AM »

Wow...there are ALOT of programs out there!  To be expected of course wink  but still amazing!  
    Thanks for the link, that website looks like a great place to reference  cheesy

I am glad you found this list amazing.   smiley

From my last count on fractal related applications, it comes to a little over 600.  I would say 95 percent of those render images.

And I do have a lot of things that may be referenced from my site, so have a look around and follow the links found there.    smiley

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:59:58 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

erthbndangl
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 01:31:56 AM »

Wow...there are ALOT of programs out there!  To be expected of course wink  but still amazing!  
    Thanks for the link, that website looks like a great place to reference  cheesy

I am glad you found this list amazing.   smiley

From my last count on fractal related applications, it comes to a little over 600.  I would say 95 percent of those render images.

And I do have a lot of things that may be referenced from my site, so have a look around and follow the links found there.    smiley

I'll be sure to give it a look! Thanks. smiley
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:00:58 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 04:48:16 PM »

Have made many updates to links, and added in several new programs.  Will be making quite a few more changes over the next few weeks, as time permits.

FractGurl
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 12:48:19 PM »

I know it's been a few months since this thread was posted in; however, I have a question regarding that list of sites (impressive and extensive list to be sure).

I only see that the first several of them I skimmed thru only go up thru Windows XP.  Are they pretty much compatible with Windows Vista 64 bit? 

Thanks for any assistance.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 01:15:45 PM »

I have no experience with 64 bit stuffs.

Does a 64 bit system run software made for 32 bit systems?  I know the reverse is not possible, but not sure about the question you are asking.

I know some of the older ones wont even run smoothly on Vista 32 bit!  Micro$oft is not as good at backward compatibility as they used to be...

I'd say just give it a try and find out cheesy

Can't hurt too much...

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
FractGurl
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 11:59:04 AM »

Yes, my 64 bit Vista dos run software made for 32 bit systems (well I should say it runs most so far that I've tried).  I found one that was not even geared for Windows (however seemed to be that a friend said it would run on their Windows 2000 but was missing some files - guess it was mainly geared for a DOS environment - I didn't even know anyone still has DOS as their OS).

Thanks for your assistance.  I'm trying a 2nd one that's on the list and will be exploring more as time goes on.
klixon
Navigator

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 12:58:50 PM »

One can usually run those old dos programs in Dosbox... So if you still want to experiment with those programs, you could give it a try.

Visit me on vimeo
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 02:42:52 PM »

Unfortunately MS decided to do away with full-screen DOS mode after XP so as has been stated the older full-screen DOS software will only run on Vista or W7 using Dosbox. The downside to this is that this incurs a severe speed hit of around 3* i.e. running them in Dosbox is at least 3* slower than running them in native full-screen DOS.
If you wish to run them I suggest setting up a dual-boot with XP so you can run them in full-screen DOS.

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 11:18:01 AM »

For some old programs I'm using VirtualBox with installed Windows XP, Windows NT4.0 and DOS. Everything works very well. Some very old 16-bit applications work slower because of CPU emulation.  32-bit programs works with normal speed because VisrualBox is not an emulator but virtualisation environment.

FractGurl
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 03:19:26 PM »

Thanks everyone for the assistance.  I haven't used anything DOS related in about 15 years so I'm totally lost as to how to go about running anything in Dosbox (guess I need to do some research to get me up to speed - I've been so immersed into Windows environments during these past 15 years).  Again, I thank everyone for their replies/suggestions. 
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 01:42:16 AM »

I know it's been a few months since this thread was posted in; however,
    I have a question regarding that list of sites (impressive and extensive list to be sure).
    I only see that the first several of them I skimmed thru only go up thru Windows XP.
    Are they pretty much compatible with Windows Vista 64 bit?  
    Thanks for any assistance.

That list of sites is in the order of what the "Fractal Census" shows as software most often tried/used by people.  And I really do need to update that page some more to indicate which ones will run without problems under both Windows Vista and 7 (32-bit and 64-bit).  Let me just say that most of the ones which show as Win-XP will run fine under Vista-64.  (I know for I have run and tested a few hundred of them already.)    cheesy

..... - I didn't even know anyone still has DOS as their OS).
    I'm trying a 2nd one that's on the list and will be exploring more as time goes on.

It is not that a few of us have DOS as our main OS, it is more that we keep a machine (or more) available that is capable of running some of the older software programs.  I have on an old P-III that has Win-98SE for just this reason (and it gets used almost everyday to render Jim Muth's FOTD).

I haven't used anything DOS related in about 15 years so I'm totally lost as to
    how to go about running anything in DosBox (guess I need to do some research
    to get me up to speed - I've been so immersed into Windows environments during
    these past 15 years).  Again, I thank everyone for their replies/suggestions.

Several weeks ago, an individual posted an email to another discussion list about getting FractInt working in Vista under DOSBox by using the open source application called "D-Fend Reloaded".  And I gave it a try as well to see how it performed.  It ran quite fast on my machine, much faster than I had expected.

If you are serious about using some of the much older applications, then I can create a topic within the Forums for how to go about setting everything up.    smiley

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 07:04:30 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

shalom
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 01:47:12 AM »

Can anyone recommend a fractal generation app that works for that Mac, and that enables the creation of 3D fractals that can be exported as .obj's for use in other 3D apps?

I'm also looking for fractal plugins that work well with Cinema 4D and/or After Effects, which enable the creation of animatable fractals.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
Shalom

PS - I'm new to this forum, so if this question has already been answered, I apologize.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: