Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 02:31:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Remake of MB3D  (Read 46447 times)
Description: A reboot of the MB3D project
valera_rozuvan
Safarist

a test in time

valera.rozuvan valerarozuvan
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2016, 09:28:46 PM »

Isn't there an assembly module in your C compiler somewhere?

Maybe I got your question wrong. But here goes my answer to the question that I think you asked  smiley

Yes, any C/C++ compiler out there has support for inline assembly. This means that you write most of your program in C/C++, and have some code blocks in assembly language. Here is the GCC documentation on this matter.

However! We are trying to move away from using assembly for formulas. Why? Portability issues. For each processor type different assembly code must be written. This complicates matters somewhat...

0Encrypted0
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2016, 09:56:30 PM »

Formulas will be defined in pure C language. Along with them there will be several files:

1. Image - preview of rendered formula.
2. Readme file - human readable (text) description of the formula.
3. Config file - all of the formula function's constants, parameter names, ranges, and other information needed at run time to make use of the formula. Format of this file probably will be JSON (very easy to write).
Four files per folder for each formula? Ability to see preview image when browsing for formulas?
It will be possible to create, and modify a formula from within the program. JIT compiling will probably be done via LLVM.
Custom formulas saved within parameter files?
All of the formulas will be stored in a separate GitHub repository. From within the program, you will be able to fetch all the latest formulas with a single click of a button.
This will be very helpful.
One of my main concerns is version control so when someone goes to rerender an older parameter it is not broken because of a code change in one or more formulas.
valera_rozuvan
Safarist

a test in time

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 10:06:54 PM »

Four files per folder for each formula? Ability to see preview image when browsing for formulas? Custom formulas saved within parameter files?

Yes to all questions  smiley

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2016, 10:39:34 AM »

I would love to see a way to sync the resulting video to audio.
instead of doing timing based on frames I would suggest an option to do this in seconds. should be eassy, by just automatically calculating the seconds based on frames per second.

even better would be a timeline with drag and drop of the animation frames and maybe some sort of automation curves for certain parameters.
with the option to keep the timing of the following animation frames at their timing position, so you don't ruin the timing of the ones later.
using the current preview gif used as realtime preview, updating just the parts thjat you changed. 
and maybe even add audio in there, to play around with the setting.

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
valera_rozuvan
Safarist

a test in time

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2016, 04:39:41 PM »

I am think of using imgui library for the UI. Some of it's features:

- active development & community
- cross-platform support
- small and fast
- integrates with OpenGL out of the box
- has been used before to develop a node-editor solution

Some screenshots:

m2001
Conqueror

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2016, 05:01:30 PM »

cheesy

1Bryan1
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2016, 07:36:18 AM »

Terrifying examples.
I have used node based interfaces.
I found them too geeky and time consuming.

However, movie makers will probably go ga-ga over it.

Find 340+ more of my fractal art at http://1bryan1.deviantart.com/gallery/
valera_rozuvan
Safarist

a test in time

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2016, 08:06:12 AM »

However, movie makers will probably go ga-ga over it.

Yep. Node editors are used heavily in the 3D world. Take a look at Maya and Blender. They allow for a very flexible system. From the point of view of the end-user, you can have just a few nodes with minimal settings configuration. Or you can configure an *almost* infinite setup. It all depends on how much creative juice is flowing through you.

0Encrypted0
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2016, 09:00:30 AM »

I am guessing the node set-up will be saved in the parameter file.
If so, a node grid could be created that closely resembles the functionality of the current program.
People could create custom node grids to share via parameter files.

I am also thinking that this could open up new ways to sequence Alternate and/or DEcombinate formulas with conditional iteration/weight loops.
Look at CondItcountSwitch.m3f.

This might also be a good way to automate/mutate settings.

How about a new category of addons that can modify the functionality of the connections between formula chains?
Maybe sync audio?

Infinite, brain is melting! fiery
1Bryan1
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2016, 12:52:07 PM »

Gasp!
I had forgotten the intent to have readable parameter files.
That opens up some serious automation possibilities.

Find 340+ more of my fractal art at http://1bryan1.deviantart.com/gallery/
valera_rozuvan
Safarist

a test in time

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2016, 03:51:39 PM »

If so, a node grid could be created that closely resembles the functionality of the current program.

A goal for the very far future is to be able to reuse original parameter files from MB3D to achieve **the same** rendered result. Obviously it will not be "the same" as in pixel for pixel. Actual drawing/coloring/compositing/mixing/combining algorithms will be slightly different than in the original program. But it would be cool to be able to get something similar to the original generated fractal! Not to let all of the effort go to waste - the thousands, if not millions, of hours that were spent by various individuals to come up with unique works of art that we have now.

This functionality will not exist just for the sake of recreating the original image. The new program will allow to place multiple different entities in the 3D space. So you will be able to combine the hybrid fractals from original MB3D with new things created in the new program.

But I want to reiterate - this is on the long term TODO list.

Brocoli
Forums Freshman

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2016, 05:28:38 PM »

Hello, i just finished a rough ui design. I take tips that i found on the thread and some other programs. My first goal is to make a clean / minimal interface with all parameters in the right place. I will do all the icons / logo if you are ok. c&c are welcome.

The node based formula and texture are a good choice.

For the texture it will be good to have some parameters like other 3d programs (bump / displace / reflection / refraction / fresnel ior / mix multiple image / ...)

For output render (tiff / png / jpg / exr) in 8 / 16 / 32 bits
Some pass like reflection / refraction / gi / ....

For lighting a sun + sky like 3d programs (vray)

I know i request to much feature.  embarrass

Ask me if you don't understand my ui sketch (english is not my first langage)

* Mandelbulb 3d_UI_Design.jpg (249.7 KB, 1920x1080 - viewed 332 times.)
valera_rozuvan
Safarist

a test in time

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2016, 05:42:21 PM »

Hello, i just finished a rough ui design. I take tips that i found on the thread and some other programs. My first goal is to make a clean / minimal interface with all parameters in the right place.

Wow! Looks very neat and functional. I like your minimalist style very much. Do you think nodes (when creating custom hybrid function systems in the node editor) should go on top of your main window design (overlays with transparency), or should they be in a separate window?

PS: For future reference, just in case the attachment with the design from Brocoli disappears: here is a backup copy https://goo.gl/jn76ng.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 11:14:20 PM by valera_rozuvan » Logged

Brocoli
Forums Freshman

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2016, 06:13:29 PM »

Thanks !

I think it should be a separate windows and be moved to another place and / or another screen like photoshop.

I have got two screen and i like move / rearrange the menu.
chunkygravy
Alien

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2016, 08:11:56 PM »

Thargor has continued updates on mb3d. He has added many feature such as direct 3d export, height map frames for animation, formula editor and I'm sure much more.  Have to contacted them? I am sure you they would be able to help you as Thargor has a good understanding of the source.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: