Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 10:37:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fragmentarium 1.0.31  (Read 15862 times)
Description: OpenEXR + Scripting + Anisotropic HW filter + Interactive Feedback Arrays !!!
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 10:14:39 PM »

Fixed EXR texture load bug and added RGB+A so...
EXR image output can contain 1.0/depth in alpha channel
EXR texture input reads RGBA (was only rgb) into sampler texture
will have to put together a nice tutorial once the dust settles a bit on this latest bunch of mods wink

All fixes are in the currently posted sourcecode and executable packages

For those compiling from source:

Linux - no change, just grab the source, cd to the base folder, run the mklinux.sh script
Windows - just grab the source, cd to the base folder, run the mkmingw.bat script
                 the change is that when finished you will have a new folder with a complete standalone package
                 with all required DLLs, the new Fragmentarium folder can be moved out of the base folder or archived for distribution
OSX - soon I hope

For those relying on precompiled binaries:

Linux - none
Windows - grab the exe-only package and merge with or copy to your current Fragmentarium folder
OSX - soon I hope

PS the website is the globe under my avatar <<<

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 04:20:54 AM »

patch level 18 brings a couple of things, @knighty thank you for your input, I really do need the feedback smiley

A complete deploy package with QTranslator files for the GUI
Streamlined initialization a bit for shader and textures ( hopefully fixes switching to software emulation mode)
Full screen mode has menu with "Toggle fullscreen" and "Screen snapshot" entries (Shift+RMB in GL area)
Reports screen XY + depth buffer value on single press and release of LMB on fractal to the status bar
Highlight "Build" button when fragment source is changed
Set include search path preferences option
Save easing curve settings in presets preferences option

Hopefully this patch smooths a few things out, let me know if you have any problems smiley

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 01:38:09 AM »

http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=22769.msg90054#msg90054  afro

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 02:00:56 AM »

Now compiled with Qt 5.4.2 and MinGW 4.9.1

These changes and bug fixes have come about after collaborating with Matt Benesi http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=22769.msg90054#msg90054

+ Added special "feedback array" uniform so frag code can get mouse click locations
+ enabled screenTo3D function, read out object XYZ @ mouse pos in status bar
+ enabled MiddleButton (Wheel) click = center screen at this location
+ Shift+Tilde key resets camera to look through origin 0,0,0
+ LMB+Shift+Alt rotates around target
+ CTRL+LMB record mouse pos to feedback array positive strength (push)
+ CTRL+Alt+LMB record mouse pos to feedback array negative strength (pull)
+ CTRL+SHIFT+LMB erase last mouse pos from feedback array and decrement counter
+ CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+LMB clear all recorded mouse positions in feedback array

+ fixed Texture Persistence bug
+ fixed crash when blockmarked text is not a preset and F8 is pressed
+ Qt5.4 loads EXR format (on linux) but doesn't save this format so still need OpenEXR static libs for that

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

ForestCat
Alien

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 04:20:10 AM »

3dickulus,

Man, thanks for sharing all your hard work here.  You're scratching an awful lot of itches with the features you're adding, particularly the spline paths, which I loved from boxplorer2.

In your release notes, I see "Setting and saving In/Out easing curves for any/all "Float 1-2-3-4" parameters."

Is there a fundamental reason that int parms, i.e. 'ColorIteration' couldn't also be automated this way?

I apologize in advance if that's a clueless noob question.  Trying hard to get my head around these tools...

Thanks again
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 04:58:29 AM »

Hi, glad you're having fun with it cheesy

int parameters are not good candidates for animation as transitions from 0-1-2 are jumpy or too sudden, there is no smoothness to it until the values get big

you can change an int uniform slider to a float with the same range then highlight/select the slider and hit F7 key,
you will have to add some "polite" type casting or you will get warnings but it should work just the same...

change from...
Code:
// Number of iterations.
uniform int Iterations;  slider[0,10,20]
...to...
Code:
// Number of iterations.
uniform float IterationsF;  slider[0,10,20]
...then in the fragment code where required...
Code:
int Iterations = int(IterationsF);

I haven't tried this but it works in theory  wink

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

ForestCat
Alien

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 05:27:57 AM »

Excellent, thanks!  Probably closer to addiction than fun, but it's all good :-)

Had actually tried just changing the uniform to a float, but that threw implicit cast errors.
I was just getting ready to see if I could find an int() function in glsl, lol. Total noob, but really anxious to get enough of a working knowledge of these environments to begin to be able to convert parm/config files and shader code between Fragmentarium, boxplorer2, shadertoy, touchdesigner, etc.  There are some insanely deep boxplorer 'worlds' I'm trying to convert to Fragmentarium, because, well, it has a ui & and an IDE of sorts, but some of the compiler errors are just too ambiguous for my chops. My ambition is way bigger than my brain at this point :-)

Thanks again for this awesome tool, and thanks to all the other giants w/ your footprints on their shoulders. :-)  The collective talent level on this forum is staggering...
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 06:10:51 AM »

indeed, lots of muddy footprints, I couldn't do anything without the foundation built by Syntopia (tnx again btw) and all of the contributors here at FF  A Beer Cup

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

ForestCat
Alien

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 06:28:47 PM »

Couple of observations.  Can't say if they are specific to 1.0.20, but either way you might want to investigate:

The Step Size modifier keys do not seem to effect the Q/E roll keys, the Y/H (which _seem_ to be yaw, but are not documented), or the T/G pitch keys.

The Step Size does work with A/D, W/S, and R/F.

In control.html, R/F is documented as yaw, but moves the viewpoint vertically on my install.  Y/H seems to be yaw. 
T/H  is documented as 'move up/down', and T/G as 'pitch'.  Think that might be a typo.

Is there another way to set the step size for Q/E, Y/H, and T/G?

One other note:  I've been playing w/ the Benesi frags a bit, and I've noticed that decreasing the step size w/ SHIFT-Mousewheel will at some small value lock up Fragmentarium. 

Thanks again, hope the info above is of some value.

ForestCat
Alien

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 11:16:13 PM »

If the following has been addressed elsewhere & I missed it, apologies...

Once keyframes have been added using F8, etc., progressive rendering no longer renders subframes.
I suspect that may be intentional on your part, due to performance issues while "scrubbing" the timeline, etc.

Is there any way to momentarily turn subframe rendering back on while exploring for the next worthy keyframe, etc, short of rendering out a png to disk?

I've been finding that there are many situations where it's nearly impossible to judge the content/detail of a frame w/o a good number of "passes"...

EDIT:  Interesting.  If I render out a Keyframe, close the .frag, then load back the .frag just created along w/ the .png, I can now choose among the presets (keyframes) and it renders subframes for each, but only if I DO NOT LOAD THE HIGHEST NUMBERED(last created) KEYFRAME.  That one will NOT render subframes, and from that point forward (until a reload of the .frag), no more subframes on any presets.

So maybe something's up...

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:33:37 PM by ForestCat » Logged
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 03:23:01 AM »

Once keyframes have been added using F8, etc., progressive rendering no longer renders subframes.

Progressive render is inhibited when the time line is on the very last frame because the "Play" function is flipped to "Stop", it does still render progressively though, click on the timeline button and hit the left arrow key once, this decrements the frame position by 1 so = END-1 and progressive rendering is available (hit the Play button). This can be remedied with a test to check if Animation or Progressive mode, when Progressive no flip, when Animation flip play to stop if looping is not set in preferences so it just plays to the end and stops.

you may also note that in animation mode frame 0 actually displays the very last frame, anim starts at frame 1, but not when rendering image files?

The Step Size modifier keys do not seem to effect the Q/E roll keys, the Y/H (which _seem_ to be yaw, but are not documented), or the T/G pitch keys.
One other note:  I've been playing w/ the Benesi frags a bit, and I've noticed that decreasing the step size w/ SHIFT-Mousewheel will at some small value lock up Fragmentarium. 

testing previous versions, this particular flavor of this bug is since to 1.0.10, prior to that it would go to 0 and just stay there, would not increase from 0, not sure why the behavior changed to lockup below 1.0E-38 but I will look at it and fix it with a lower limit of 1.0E-36 and possibly add a "reset stepping to default" option in the help menu.

will also look at the stepping for Q/E, Y/H, and T/G keys, I rarely navigate with the keyboard and haven't done much with the code in this area

Thanks again, hope the info above is of some value.

YES! this info is of great value, I can't test everything against everything else whenever I change/fix/add something, just not enough hours in the day and your usage style may be very different from mine so you will find something that I might miss (or neglect  embarrass )

I'm really quite surprised that nobody else has mentioned these things sad ( or they have and I neglected to address them ) and a little disappointed that I let such trivial but annoying bugs live.

so until I can patch it up,

1. don't decrease stepping to less than 1.0E-36 (or just above whatever you found was your lower limit)
2. when adding keyframes in Progressive mode you can clickity click the "Play" button a few times and it will accumulate a few frames with each click, this should at least let you see what's going on so you can make your next move wink

Thank you very much for the input  A Beer Cup  will fix asap

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

ForestCat
Alien

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 05:03:09 AM »

No dealbreakers, relatively minor stuff, except the key increments.  If there is a way to 'scale' mouse input, the keys would be mostly moot.  If I'm correct, SHIFT mousewheel only effects W/S keys & mousewheel 'travel'? Problem for me is when I'm deep in, and need to make tiny pitch/yaw/position adjustments, the mouse feels like using an F-16 to go bar-hopping.

Did notice the 'Frame 0' is really 'Frame 1' thing, but it's not much of a problem.  Neither is the crash on small step value, I just avoid those low values.

On thing you may want to take a quick peek at is the code that parses/inserts keyframe preset blocks, in particular the autonumbering.   I know you probably didn't plan for it to be used this way, but for the time being, if I need to delete(as opposed to edit/replace) a keyframe (and I don't want to man-up & start from scratch, lol), I just delete that code block.  If I'm correct, you're "counting" the keyframe blocks, rather than parsing for the highest numbered(or incrementing the last added) keyframe when determining the next # for F8 Add Keyframe function?  If I have 20 keyframes, go back & delete #5, the next F8 wants to add #20 rather than #21.  Again, no big deal. 
As a note for anyone stumbling on this post, I found I can 'insert' a keyframe between, i.e. #002 & #003 by pasting it in and renaming .0025.  Nice!

I know there are ticks on the timeline at keyframes, but is there any way to display the current (or closest)  keyframe# while either playing or scrubbing the timeline?  Now THAT would be a Godsend :-)

I'll give you as much feedback as you can handle.  I'm overjoyed that this is still on your radar.  Generally, by the time I discover something epic, the developer has moved on to something else, or just doesn't have the time/interest to finish/fix it.  And I do get that, but it's sad just the same.

Thanks again for taking Fragmentarium & running with it.

P.S., if you haven't spent any time with the last version of Boxplorer2, you may want to have a look at the way the splines are done, w/ mouse movable nodes at keyframes.  If you could get that implemented, and allow the selected keyframes to be edited, yabadabbadoo!

I've seen mention in your older posts/docs of an animation editor/dialog, or similar.  Does that still exist?
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 06:17:56 AM »

"fixing" stepping, I think, should be applying it to all movement controls so that when maneuvering in a tight spot all motion actions are scaled, keys and mouse.

the keyframe "editor" needs to be developed, the basics of creating adding replacing are there, the next step would be to move the entire process out of the text editor and into a GUI that allows better intuitive control like auto renumber/recompile when a frame is deleted or inserted, and save as an #include-able list of presets in the same sort of format you see now in the text editor

my main goal is to ensure that everything works at the current stage of development, ie:the stuff I've added so far and a few bugs that have turned up. my hope is that this can be moved to QOpenGLSurface (Qt5.5) and/or Qt3D with geometry shaders and better keyframe control and representation, need help like someone dedicated to maintaining the Examples folder as a separate package testing and ensuring they all work as expected or maybe just the tutorials part of it, the include folder needs to be simplified (I think) to contain only the latest and best DE raytracer and support files with bells and whistles optional via #defines, the other tracers and buffershaders can be part of the HOW-TO or Examples segment

I would also like to see some investigation into using fragment code in stages, the way it is now it renders images with one shader and does post processing with another, this could be taken to the next step and render geometry(DE), color, light, shadows, with different shader progs using a few textures to pass data from one stage to the next thereby removing or at least mitigating the shader program size barrier. Although I could be gravely mistaken about how complex this might be or if it's even possible.

DOCS DOCS DOCS NEEDS GOOD DOCS AND MORE HOW-TO TUTORIALS better tool tipping?

With GL4+ there are a lot of very cool options like no fixed pipeline, but this may all have to wait for a rewrite of the engine, maybe in v2.0 wink the only way this will progress is if people put in time and effort, I can only do so much with the time I have available and my terribly limited math skills. Another option is to start from scratch with the latest versions of Qt, GL and GLSL and rebuild "in the spirit of Fragmentarium" that maintains the same functionality it has now for both coders and artists (a very blurred line)

one thing at a time, unless you have a good GPU then it's 1152 things at a time, which is 1152 times as complicated wink

we'll see how it goes, at the moment I'm very happy and excited to see the creations people come up with using Syntopia's program and the things I've added to it.
I hope I haven't made too much of a mess smiley

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

ForestCat
Alien

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 05:19:05 PM »

I'm very happy and excited to see the creations people come up with using Syntopia's program and the things I've added to it.
I hope I haven't made too much of a mess smiley

Then perhaps it's time I made an offering...
Based on the default frag that loads in 1.0.20. "YAMM" (yes, another mandelbulb movie...), but I thought the water adds a nice dimension, 3Dickulus' splining results in really convincing motion.  52 keyframes.  Yeah the video has a couple of issues, but I still thought it was worth posting.
Music shamelessly ripped off from myself  grin
It was rendered/uploaded at 1440x1080-60i. Video quality kinda blows here for some reason...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/65ZPiDNklVk&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/65ZPiDNklVk&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 07:55:41 PM by ForestCat » Logged
ForestCat
Alien

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 12:42:21 AM »

I don't know if this is the best thread to ask questions about Frag/3Dickulus, couldn't find a dedicated subforum/thread.

RE: Parameter Easing anim, something I'm not totally clear on. 

When I create a param anim via ui, I can see it working, but there's no added code/presets to the frag code, you do mention it's stored "internally".  I assume then that the :

[Variable Name]:[Ease Name]:[Ease Type]:[start frame]:[end frame]:[begin parameter value]:[end parameter value]:[period]:[amplitude]:[overshoot]:[loops]:[pong]

needs to be hand-coded by me? That raises a question about how it's parsed, if the same [Variable Name] occurs more than once within a preset, but w/ different frame range in each instance, would that allow me to animate the same parameter at multiple points on the timelime?  i.e., sweep a spotlight from frame 200-300, then back again at frame 900-1000, etc?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: