Logo by AGUS - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 04:15:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulb ray tracing plugin for Photoshop, AfterEffects and QuartzComposer  (Read 33749 times)
subblue
Conqueror

« on: December 15, 2009, 08:29:13 AM »

I've finally finished the PixelBender implementation of the 3D Mandelbulb. The PixelBender scripts run on the GPU when used in Photoshop CS4 or the Adobe PixelBender Toolkit (which you can download for free from here: ). It runs fast enough for interactive exploration and parameter tweaking at low resolutions and then for final output at 2k dimensions with 9x super sampling takes about 5-10 seconds to render on my iMac NVIDIA 8800GS graphics card.
The PixelBender .pbk files can also be used directly in After Effects where every parameter can be keyframed and animated. AfterEffects can't use the GPU so everything is rendered via the CPU, which is significantly slower.

Finally, I've also ported the script to a GLSL shader which is implemented as a patch in QuartzComposer, where everything can be animated in realtime. This will run at about 15fps @640x480 resolution. The animations on my site were rendered with this.

Read more and download the scripts.

www.subblue.com - a blog exploring mathematical and generative graphics
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 10:53:09 AM »

great, thank you for publishing that !

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 11:01:17 AM »

just had a quick test ... the )(()=$(=)$ pixelbender tells me that my geforce gts 250 is not able to execute the prgram ... sad

perhaps i have to reboot after installation of pixelbender ?!

---

cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 11:32:50 AM »

just had a quick test ... the )(()=$(=)$ pixelbender tells me that my geforce gts 250 is not able to execute the prgram ... sad

Having an up to date nVidia driver installed? possibly a DirectX update, too? (not sure if Adobe would use OpenGL over DirectX - for cross platform compatibility OpenGL sure is the better choice)
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 01:46:52 PM »

FANTASTIC Mr Subblue, just tried it on my old MacBook Pro, got it down on it´s knees, but I got my first mandelbulb rendering!! cheesy

Amazed by the skills of you people here!!!!

Been lurking this forum since I saw an article about the skytopia site ( I know, mr twinbee... special thanks to you too for making me find all these new places) I made my first mandelbrot with the help of my computerfriends in the eighties, and now I'm back! ;-) Thanks to you lot!

Regards

Johan

THE IMAGE... Not a beauty, but I am happy just to been able to do it (after just 20 minutes tinkering), thanks!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:10:38 PM by KRAFTWERK » Logged

subblue
Conqueror

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 03:27:04 PM »

Thanks guys smiley

I actually fixed a little bug with some graphics cards. I've updated the scripts so try downloading them again.

Trifox: I'm not sure why PixelBender is doing that. Does it do it with the example filters or just mine in particular?

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 03:30:16 PM »

i get an division by zero error, when hitting "run" in the toolkit  sad

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 03:50:53 PM »

@sub it is a driver problem ...

i fixed the default value for phong shading, it caused a division by zero error for me ... ;(

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 09:54:58 PM »

ok, the problem was that i had the boinc ( seti@home..., rosetta@home... ) running, which was blocking the gpu,
now it is rendering in less than a second !

great, i have a base to play with ... muahar, thanxs for publishing it, if i make any senseful changes, i will send you a copy!

---

cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 10:00:56 PM »

now it is rendering in less than a second !

And it is such a great environment for prototyping things quickly. And much more hardware and platform independent than solutions like CUDA. Pixelbender even rendered this on older Geforce 6800 class hardware (albeit slowly).

This code has the potential to become the "reference" implementation for experiments with distance-estimated 3D fractals.

I am delighted that also the negative powers render nicely (Mandeliers, etc). However when one iterates a negative power in a voxel based system, one will get a hole in an otherwise solid block. So what one sees with DE methods might actually be the inverted fractal or some other artefact of raymarching from the *interior* of the set towards the outside (for which the distance estimation formula based on Hubbard-Duady would be incorrect).

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:50:22 AM by cbuchner1 » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 11:09:19 PM »

hi there,

how wonderful this little skript is ...

i have managed to include an alternation mechanism, i am now about to implement different formulas,
before i go sleep, i will send you my "hacked"skrip to pm , so many thanks !

* mandelbulb_alter1.png (287.42 KB, 483x629 - viewed 1791 times.)

* mandelbulb_alternate.png (1038.58 KB, 843x629 - viewed 1775 times.)

---

subblue
Conqueror

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 11:17:55 PM »

Trifox, the ring structure variation is particularly interesting.

I found this little gem when exploring the juliabulb varation at -6.5 power with low bailout:

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 12:25:35 AM »

i have send you the alternate formula, check your private messages here on the forum  afro

---

cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 01:52:01 AM »

i have managed to include an alternation mechanism

What kind of alternations are we talking about here. Switching formulas during the iteration? Changing the rotations, etc?
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 03:02:32 AM »

alternating seed values ( for julia ) and/or powervalues for both ...

formula alternating is my next experiment, the problem is to keep the distance estimator working ...  alien

---

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: