Logo by jwm-art - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 03:52:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: What's your beginners tip?  (Read 8677 times)
fractales75
Alien

« on: October 05, 2013, 12:13:01 PM »

hello,
on the Sketchup 3D forum , there is a topic that has a lot of success:
" What's your beginners tip? "
the trick that changed my life
it is a valuable source of tips for all,  beginners and more ...
It would be very useful here.
It would allow those who have some experience to help those who are getting into the wonderful world of 3Dfractal images.
this topic could collect small essential tips.
so I have a very very little experience of Mandelbulb, nevertheless to start over this topic I have a little trick that can save a lot of time:

I not keep away 'notepad'.
and every time I make a change adventurous  change, I go to the tab: 'save'
button "TXT"
and Notepad :ctrl V
like that, I keep a history of all that I do, a security for  little cost

cheesy

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 12:24:11 PM »

that would be nice, yes, regarding your current trick:
check the "history" folder in your mandelbulb3d installation cheesy
it keeps a track of all parameters when clicked on "render" wink

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 12:32:38 PM »

one tip from me:

the most important thing that influences render quality are in the "calculate" tab of the main window,
and this can be quite annoying when not knowing exactly what mb3d does with them, because mb3d
changes the "DE Stop" value by its own when changing resolution and when zooming in, this needs to
be kept in mind when browsing, with those you can influence the rendering speed, but when rendering
a final version these params need to be adjusted carefully!

---

toxic-dwarf
Navigator

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 10:10:17 AM »

My tip (or rather tips) would be
1) Read the 'Readme' file - this gives valuable insights into how the program works.
2) Remember that the navi and rendered outcome will look different (the navi window appears at a higher DE Stop value (unless I am mistaken!)). Take this into account and you won't get frustrated that you're not getting the results you expected. Set the view in navi how you want it, send to main window and tweak the DE stop before rendering, you'll quickly work out the amount it needs to be changed by through experimenting..... which leads onto
3) use the 'render selected area' function at the top of the postprocessing tab to quickly fine tune your render settings
and lastly
4) Don't ever give up, stick at it and if you find yourself getting confused or frustrated then a) Read these forums, there is a wealth of information here and it's highly likely that if the answer you need isn't in the readme then it will be here. b) If all else fails then try asking people here, they are friendly and knowledgeable, just be sure to write your query clearly and politely. Be patient and you'll probably end up learning a lot more than you thought you would.
fractales75
Alien

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 03:38:26 PM »

Another tip to keep a history of our work:
click the button above the navi button  ( 1|2|3  window "animation maker")
then click the arrow ↑ with white square in the middle of the window
 it saves the image and the parameters calculated in the main window
---
if you want to recall an image, return to this window 'animation maker '
move with the arrows ← or  → , and click one of the arrows  ↑ at the top of the screen capture
it returns the parameters and the image stored,  in the navi   cheesy

(It seems  it is better to close the navi window before making these recordings)

try

DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 06:08:34 PM »

The best tip I can give;

Try one formula at once! Don't just mess up randomly, but keep trying with patience. When you learned, combine more things... Azn

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
fractales75
Alien

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 11:37:26 AM »

in the formulas tAB:

in the formulas name field, you can just enter a part of the name, like: sph or box or fold

it displays only the names with this part
it filters the list ... wink

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 01:12:25 PM »

Another tip to keep a history of our work:
it returns the parameters and the image stored,  in the navi   cheesy

No. It returns the params to the main window, not the navi. Then to transfer them from the main window into the navi you have to click the "Parameter" button in the navi.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:19:48 PM by bib » Logged

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 01:18:53 PM »

My tip of the week: Dynamic Fog

In the navi, in the "Divers" section, there is a slider below the "Dyn Fog on its" button.
When it is at 0, the standard d.fog is applied.
When it different from 0, then it goes into iteration fog mode, and the slider position gives the particular iteration number on which the fog is applied.

In both cases, the fog intensity, color and other params are controlled via the d.Fog tab in the Lighting window.

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Spain2points
Navigator

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 08:00:09 PM »

I'm not the best at this program, of course, but my first tip would be: Be patient. It takes time to get something when you are not familiar with the program (sometimes even when you are familiar with it). Mess with it, make mistakes, click every button, have fun. And try something different, it's so easy to repeat the same stuff over and over.
1Bryan1
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 08:37:13 AM »

Use the navi window - expand the bottom panel ... the camera --> pano option helps to look all around you without having to mouse move madly.

F6 toggles the fixed zoom - if you find yourself partially embedded in an interior and you have a cavity to explore - enable fixed zoom - centre the screen on the cavity (toggle show coords can help) and click the spinners beside Zoom to bring yourself into the cavity. Switch off fixed zoom then use a wiggle (A then D keys) to take the camera in.

Suddenly find yourself at a high zoom level (e.g. 1E9+) unexpectedly - again use F6 and zoom out using fixed zoom.
Choice: use spinner to zoom out and/or  use W key to move back from object

Use the automation frame storer (f key while in Navi window) to store parameters - you can scroll through these in the Automation maker window and send them to the main window (then bring them into Navi using the Navi parameter button).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:47:54 AM by 1Bryan1 » Logged

Find 340+ more of my fractal art at http://1bryan1.deviantart.com/gallery/
JohnVV
Conqueror

having fun

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 01:16:28 AM »

if you are using MS Windows
stop using "notepad.exe"

it was bad in Win98,me,2000,xp,....
and still is the same win95 junk

use a real text editor

SciTE
or the Scite based "Notepad++"
or install Emacs or Vim
there are windows ports

as to new people

just HAVE FUN !!!

Running OpenSUSE 42.1-64bit & ScientificLinux-6.7-64bit
I don't pitch Linux to my friends,I let Microsoft do it for me!"
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 12:26:27 PM »

if you are using MS Windows
stop using "notepad.exe"

it was bad in Win98,me,2000,xp,....
and still is the same win95 junk

use a real text editor

SciTE
or the Scite based "Notepad++"
or install Emacs or Vim
there are windows ports

as to new people

just HAVE FUN !!!

There's nothing wrong with Notepad!

It's more than adequate for this purpose.

Things like notepad++ and scite are only superior for programming - just saving text parameters for MB3D is done with zero difference in any pure text software.  The only software that sucks for this purpose is a rich text editor like Word or Wordpad - so long as it does not format text, the programs are all equal for this job!

You use whatever software you are comfortable using so long as it is suited to the task and ignore people who tell you your software is "outdated" or that your choice "sucks" - that's my beginner's tip!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 04:30:59 PM »

There's nothing wrong with Notepad!

It's more than adequate for this purpose.

Things like notepad++ and scite are only superior for programming - just saving text parameters for MB3D is done with zero difference in any pure text software.  The only software that sucks for this purpose is a rich text editor like Word or Wordpad - so long as it does not format text, the programs are all equal for this job!

You use whatever software you are comfortable using so long as it is suited to the task and ignore people who tell you your software is "outdated" or that your choice "sucks" - that's my beginner's tip!

sure, notepad is adequate for that, but the lack of tabs inside notepad make it not the ideal tool for the task, having tabbed views inside a single text window is really helpful for comparing params or storing more than one set ... my five cents cheesy

---

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: