Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 09:59:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: What do you use to render and why?  (Read 3300 times)
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 03:25:38 AM »

So what's all this extra power buying you, Sigillum Militum? Can we see some actual results, or is this mostly about vague feel-good vibes you get from your software in private? wink

There are quite a few of us here programming our own stuff, don't be shy  afro

Sigillum Militum
Alien

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 05:27:38 AM »

So, if i got you right you don't like other fractal software but you like the ideas and formulas behind, take what you get to paste it into another syntax just to say "it's mine". Hmm ... i'm off now.

Well it's a bit more complicated than just "paste it into another syntax".

both programs uf and cp are free to use, and the only limitation is a trademark in the outputtet final renders

That's lame.

So what's all this extra power buying you, Sigillum Militum? Can we see some actual results, or is this mostly about vague feel-good vibes you get from your software in private? wink

There are quite a few of us here programming our own stuff, don't be shy  afro

I have a DeviantArt:

http://al-khwarizmi.deviantart.com/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 05:30:00 AM by Sigillum Militum » Logged
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 08:01:08 PM »

dudes, programming something by oneself helps to get deep understanding of thing - e.g. i remember how often i switched the julia/mandelbrot seeds to see that by just switching input/seed params a whole new fractal was done, and i couldnt even believe it after examining each line of code, and what was going on - and in fact back in the times when ultrafractal with its decent fractal formula compile came out i was deeply depressed because it was(is) a perfect program for coding and designing fractals, this programs formula database hase accompanied my fractal programmings ever since....

when it comes to implementing a formula it is easy stuff doing it on your own code, when it comes to editing/undo/redo/saving/animation a decent program is more worth than gold ... writing own formulas helps understanding them, and hence the "magic of unknown" is taken out of using other programs, because you understand what is possible and why ... keeping that in mind a beautiful collection of formulas, nicely colored is surely "ones own" art ... with the severe fact that you understood what you did ... wink

But the *only* part of the code provided by UF or ChaosPro is the UI *if that's how you want it to be* i.e. don't use or link to other formulas, write a ufm and put the whole render in the global section to a screen buffer - still far easier than writing *everything* yourself and the important bits are all yours wink

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Sigillum Militum
Alien

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 02:03:00 AM »

But the *only* part of the code provided by UF or ChaosPro is the UI *if that's how you want it to be* i.e. don't use or link to other formulas, write a ufm and put the whole render in the global section to a screen buffer - still far easier than writing *everything* yourself and the important bits are all yours wink

I find using a full-featured language like OCaml and writing (almost) everything from scratch far easier than struggling with the limitations of a DSL.

But, to clarify, to each their own or, since we seem to have a fair number of Germans here, jedem das Seine. I'm not claiming this makes me better. In some sense, being able to work with DSLs makes you more flexible. I just don't like doing it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 05:19:02 AM by Sigillum Militum » Logged
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 08:49:18 AM »

I kinda agree on that point; UF's rendered image quality is quite mediocre, and since UF is technically little more than a wrapper around two for-loops with a DSL (the real practical value is in its user interface!), I agree it's not that far out to code the rest yourself, too.

It all depends how far you wanna go, and how long you're gonna play the game smiley It surely pays off over time to develop your own codebase for fractal experimentation...

Sigillum Militum
Alien

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 11:39:05 PM »

I am working on extended fractal animation now. I have one video up on vimeo now but am kind of shy to share it because it was my first effort and not as good as I wanted. Currently rendering a second, which will look quite a bit better (IMO).

Since I don't have the wherewithal hardware-wise to be rendering deep zooms or anything, what I did instead is start looking for interesting Duck-Julia sets. Then I rendered a single large "tapestry" from a good area and cut frames out of it with ImageMagick one by one. This made the rendering effort take about a square root as long as it would have otherwise! Then I used ffmpeg to animate those frames and add an audio track.

More on this later, will be showing my work in a new thread.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: