Logo by mclarekin - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 16, 2024, 04:24:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Just WHY are fractals beautiful?  (Read 15620 times)
Description: I might be onto something, what do you guys think?
Apophyster
Conqueror

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 03:33:19 PM »

This article may be of interest:
http://www.livescience.com/26596-bird-plumage-fractal-fitness.html

" For birds, fractals are a turn on.
A new study found that the complexity of fractal patterns on a bird's chest communicates the animal's fitness to potential mates."

I suppose that's function rather than aesthetics.  OTOH, maybe the attraction hints at perception of beauty in creatures other than humans.

Rice, wheat and corn make the world go round.
Love and money are just passengers.
Friendliness is the destination.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 03:48:30 PM »

fractals are beautifull because they resemble natural patterns, classic geometric euclidean shapes are not "beautiful" because of their straightness, fractals are reminding us of things we encounter in nature ....

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
John Smith
Iterator

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 05:46:44 PM »

Humans are the great pattern finders of the universe.  We love finding order, because order is something we can understand.  But mixed in with this is a love of new things.  I wouldn't say we take pleasure in imperfection so much as in newness or surprises.  Indeed, I don't think "imperfection" in the strictest sense can be applied to any fractal image, because it is so precisely calculated.  Imperfections in calculations usually manifest themselves as noise or artifacts and are almost always ugly.  But this love of the familiar mixed with love of the new is in many ways the impetus for art as we know it.  And fractals are ideally suited to this odd mix loves and fears because they are infinitely more familiar, and yet infinitely new.

Formerly LAR2. Sorry for confusion
eiffie
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 06:49:52 PM »

I thought that was well said John. I agree we find beauty in patterns that evolve. The basic function of the brain is pattern matching and it can determine our emotions. Humor is often in finding an unexpected new pattern emerge from an older well-known one. The new pattern confuses us at first then we quickly see our mistake. For instance, take my wife... please, which isn't funny at all if you already know the new pattern:) Beauty is often the same process but teased out over time, like tension and release in drama. Fear, confusion, anxiety come from not being able to find a pattern.
makc
Strange Attractor

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 07:15:09 PM »

imho, it's details. details imply cost, if you ever tried to draw things by hand, you'll know. so you appreciate detailed picture. it does not have to be fractal, but fractals just happen to be like that.
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 07:37:29 AM »

Fractals are the most symmetric objects you can get really, since they have scale symmetry plus rotational, translational and usually reflective symmetry. That is all of the shape preserving symmetries that are possible.

Moreover symmetric objects are really simple, because all the apparent detail is just symmetries, so fractals are about the simplest and purest objects with detail that you can get.

Your brain probably sees the simplicity as how the object should be (e.g. a healthy tree) and sees breaks in that simplicity as less beautiful e.g. a broken branch, or a bird with one eye missing (in the case of reflective symmetry), or a honeycomb with some cells different (in the case of translation symmetry).

A cloud is a fractal, and often beautiful, but if a small patch is inexplicably smooth then it is seen as a break in the symmetry and suggests something more complicated has happened to the cloud (maybe a plane flew through it), it seems less beautiful since it seems more broken.

So that's my theory anyway... things seem more beautiful if you interpret them as healthy and not broken.
Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 09:45:31 PM »

It's probably many of the things already mentioned, combined. Plus, I'd like to add: contrast. Many fractals show a high contrast, which accentuates details and makes an impression of "bling-bling". In general I find that gradients with black and white in them work better than gradients without any black or white.

Rathinagiri
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 03:49:07 AM »

Because they are.
makc
Strange Attractor

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »

thread bomb:

fractal boobs )
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 05:24:37 AM »

@makc-  hahhahahaaha... nice thread bomb.

@Christian- Sometimes it's what someone conveys that is important:

eiffie
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 05:57:36 PM »

This is an article about music but I think it relates to all art.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/349594/description/Mental_puzzles_underlie_musics_delight
Tabasco Raremaster
Iterator

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 03:18:43 AM »

In architecture it shows that steel rectangular I and H shapes are much easier to build with and , especially when forming triangles with them, can make much larger and stronger buildings in less time and at lower costs.
 In architecture arches are used for a very long time because they are known as strong enough to carry  a huge weight.

Welcome to the 20th century steel inforced concrete urban jungle.

NB: Do not throw away your into gigantic home-made LEGO buildingblocks meltable plastics wink
If you want to build your dreamhouse at low costs of course.
If not, I'll  be happy to buy it per 1000 Kg.

http://tabasco-raremaster.deviantart.com/

If you dislike it press; Alt+F4
Tabasco Raremaster
Iterator

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 03:34:23 AM »

Why are most fractals móre beautiful than me or mine I question more  horsie riding

http://tabasco-raremaster.deviantart.com/

If you dislike it press; Alt+F4
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 07:54:39 AM »

Absolute order which skirts the line of chaos. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: