Logo by AGUS - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 06:53:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Web Hosting?  (Read 6947 times)
HPDZ
Iterator

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 12:50:37 AM »

To Don Whitaker: Thanks for these great suggestions!! Maybe I can open-source some of the low-def content, and maybe Vimeo is worth a look.

I'll also check out the hosting service you mentioned. $20/month is not too painful and 100 GB is plenty of headroom.

I will, I think, also switch over to just MP4 format for high-def files from now on, which will cut 1-2GB out of each future project.

Zoom deeply.
www.hpdz.net
Oppenheimer_
Forums Freshman

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 12:54:30 AM »

another option might be to switch to vimeo for 'preview' quality and then upload the 'insane quality' stuff to one click hosts.
if someone likes your work and really wants to experience it in the best available quality, he had to dl it anyway. and it wont cost you nothing but time.

maybe you should look for another host, too, if they f*** with you like that. there are many out there who don't cry that fast. wink
Don Whitaker
Conqueror

KitchenDon
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 04:53:38 AM »

A few more good suggestions on web host from this Lifehacker article.  I'm sure that you could find a more lenient plan than your current host for around $10 a month.

http://lifehacker.com/5545568/five-best-personal-web-hosts

My digital creations: let me show you them
zenzero-2001
Explorer

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 03:11:20 PM »

Godaddy www.godaddy.com have a 50Gb plan, £9.49 per month in the UK (not sure what the price is in USA). Maybe worth a look.

Good job I have saved your technical pages to maff format on my hard drive  grin They are very interesting, and will hopefully be useful in my own fractal program.
HPDZ
Iterator

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 07:34:51 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the great recommendations. My previous host (StartLogic -- boo! hiss!) suspended my account with no warning, even after I removed about 9 GB of video files, so I made a switch to HostGator. I had to delete most of the video files in order to get unsuspended, so I just deleted the whole site.

I am slowly uploading all the video files now. The DNS registration is not yet propagated so the site is completely down at the moment but I expect it to come back in a few days.

I am going to wait a while before uploading the really big video files and talk with them about my file size needs. Currently, I have a $10/month "unlimited" (yeah, right!) account. When I approached them initially, they said the size "might be a problem" and suggested a different plan. We'll see how it goes. I am sure I can upgrade if needed.

I will consider all the suggestions about where to hold the big videos. Thanks!

Zoom deeply.
www.hpdz.net
HPDZ
Iterator

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 06:36:12 AM »

OK. I am back online, somewhat crippled, but not incapacitated. I removed nearly all WMV files, which resulted in about a 50% reduction in file size.

The new hosting service, HostGator, seems great so far. But I haven't uploaded the same volume of videos as I had before. We'll see how it goes.

Zoom deeply.
www.hpdz.net
ker2x
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 11:29:35 PM »

i'm using Amazon S3 for my storage.
It happen to be very very cheap (0.1$/month) for my kind of traffic (fractalforums & blogs) and i can host whatever i want. (it can also be used as static website without paying for an http server).
There is absolutly no limit, you pay exactly what you use (feel free to host hundreds of TB, but it will become insanely expensive :p )

often times... there are other approaches which are kinda crappy until you put them in the context of parallel machines
(en) http://www.blog-gpgpu.com/ , (fr) http://www.keru.org/ ,
Sysadmin & DBA @ http://www.over-blog.com/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: