Logo by kr0mat1k - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. May 06, 2024, 08:04:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: where is the hour long movie ?  (Read 6809 times)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« on: May 05, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »

hi there, just to keep you busy ...  angel ... where is the hour long youtube video ?
for the last party i made at my small (27 square meters, more than 45 guests cheesy ) i made a loooong ( over 100 ) playlist of youtube videos showed on a small screen, i wondered that the longest video wasnt longer than 10 minutes, what you think ? do you think an extraordinary long video would make sense ? in entertainment or relaxation way?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
eiffie
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 05:28:19 PM »

I like the idea of a fractal movie but to hold your interest it probably needs a plot. A fractal plot with unfolding self similar sub-plots wink
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 08:02:17 PM »

We have a candidate here http://www.fractalforums.com/meet-and-greet/new-poster-long-time-stalker/

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:17:12 PM »

Maybe as background for a party it might work. But as a rule of thumb I'm losing interest in a youtube fractal movie if it takes longer then 2 minutes. Of course this may also be due to my very short attention span...

The other reason for the maximum length of 10 minutes is that u-tube doens't allow you to post longer movies unless you have some kind of premium account.  undecided   smiley

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
Don Whitaker
Conqueror

KitchenDon
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 11:06:27 PM »

I would love to see some very long fractal animations - though more from an artsy point of view rather than entertainment. I've even pondered how I might create a 24 hour animation.  embarrass

Something that was meant to be actively viewed and engaged with would certainly need some kind of interesting hook or presentation. I make a lot of non-narrative,  'eyecandy' videos.  I find that the majority of people lose interest after just a few minutes when there is no plot, voice-over, or other info to go along - no matter how interesting the images are.

Madman: I don't think that there any sort of Premium account is required at YouTube for longer uploads - I think it is more like you need to get lucky with whatever algorithm they have in place. I can upload longer videos but don't have any special account.   http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2010/12/up-up-and-away-long-videos-for-more.html 

ya might try this trick... "In case those having trouble uploading longer than 15 minutes have not done this already, the first step is to go to your Channel view, under Settings button and choose "Director" as Channel Type from the drop down box. This enabled longer video uploads for me."

My digital creations: let me show you them
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 12:52:58 AM »

where is the hour long movie

Remember this competition?:

http://www.fractalforums.com/fractalforums-entries-biocursion-dvd-%28completed%29/

I remember it well because it was right when I got good with fractals, and Beginner's Luck got me the Winning Entry!

I won a 2 Hour long DVD called Biocursion - all Fractal Animation by bradorpoints.

Get it here:  www.biocursion.com

VERY nicely done, and a Wonderful thing to watch.

And now that I think of it...

I'm an awesome dude!

We were seeking a sponsor for prizes for the contest, and I never thought of him!!

Of course, his site looks like he hasn't updated it ever...  it still claims you can win a copy of Biocursion here - with a link to the old contest pages   rolling on floor laughing

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 05:13:08 AM »

In 2007 I sorted out some animation sections that could be pasted together in various orders e.g. 4 versions of frame A to B, 4 versions of B to C, 4 versions of C to D etc. and of course you could reverse them all using VirtualDub or whatever - however I only rendered them at 640*480 just to set them up and save the parameters.
They were for a guy doing a "self-help" DVD who just wanted some nice animated eye-Candy to go with the self-help spiel and he did all the hi-res rendering of my animations himself and then also did the reversing/pasting together himself too.
Anyway the DVD has two sections, one of 15 mins and one of 30 mins.
Being a self-help DVD, you really need to be at least "New Age" tolerant wink
http://subliminals.diviningmind.com/fractaldvd.html
The animations are of course just shallow z^2+c Julias with changing seed and minor zoom/frame adjustments and I did a short taster myself for YouTube (apologies I added the sound before there was a decent selection available):
http://www.youtube.com/user/makinmagicfractals#p/u/60/YlbfYK5YC4o

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 03:29:43 AM »

Ok guys to bring this further on. Be prepared for a huge time minimum for the next years video compo section . I think 15 minutes could be a good restriction. . .

---

Xenodimensional
Navigator

Nothing cannot be

beau.deeley
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 05:11:48 AM »

I'm making two movies with lots of fractal zooms. One is a public art project, the other I will be releasing independently in the next month or two. Stay tuned for more info :-)

causality ignores the persecutory illusions of free will
Xazo-Tak
Navigator

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 06:47:58 AM »

I like the idea of a fractal movie but to hold your interest it probably needs a plot. A fractal plot with unfolding self similar sub-plots wink
I put that in my signature, best post ever.

Anyway, I think that a 3D fractal movie would be best, but pretty difficult to do in screen size resolution unless someone has a semi-supercomputer.

I lost the game!
eiffie
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 05:23:13 PM »

There are quite a few GPU based fractal generators now so 1 hour isn't difficult to render but I really am stumped on how to hold someones interest that long. I'm semi serious about needing a plot.
lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 10:37:16 PM »

To my mind, that is the hardest thing about animations--how to tell a story.  Beyond a few seconds of technical wizardry, you need a story.  Think about cartoons like The Simpons or South Park--the animation is not very good, but the story/dialog is good enough to carry it.  With fractals, it's even tougher because you don't have dialog to propel a story.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 10:42:42 PM »

in recent rendering extensions ( 3d objects, water planes, reflections ) it is possible to incorporate a leading trail,
concerning fractals i am more interested in extra smooth 3d fly bys, the story is how the fractal evolves ...
though it is true to keep 1 hour attention... sad

---

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 11:26:18 PM »

Dialogue is never necessary.  It helps, but is just a tool for aiding visual storytelling.  Look at Disney's Fantasia.  No words, but compelling stories.

I mentioned Biocursion a few posts up.  It maintained continuity and watchability by having the music work with the imagery, and it used a "Framing Sequence" of a humanoid 3D model hanging out inside a menger sponge.  It was holding a glowing doo-dad which the camera would zoom in and out of to transition from the framing scenes to the fractal animation.

All in all, a very watchable 2 hours!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: