Logo by mclarekin - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 04:58:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractus 1.0  (Read 12631 times)
Description: Fractus is a free, powerful fractal exploration filter for Adobe Photoshop®.
richardrosenman
Conqueror

« on: May 10, 2010, 07:06:37 AM »

Fractus is a free, powerful fractal exploration filter for Adobe Photoshop®. It is capable of plotting various Mandelbrot and Julia set fractals along with their inverse counterparts and exponential powers. Fractus' coloring algorithms generate beautiful fractal images with advanced smooth-shading techniques and full anti-aliasing support. The filter is 100% multi-threaded for multi-core workstations and offers 48 bit color capabilities. Fractus supports numerous unique features including fractal-space image mapping (orbit traps), image color palette generation, variable bailout function types and advanced procedural coloring algorithms. Finally, Fractus is capable of generating extremely high resolution fractals, in excess of 900 megapixels. Please check out the images to see what Fractus is capable of achieving.

Please click here to get Fractus!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 08:56:33 PM by richardrosenman » Logged

KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:18:51 PM »

Looks very nice judging from the sample images... Peezzee only...  sad

Saquedon
Conqueror

saquedon Saquedon saquedon
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 05:19:14 AM »

Great, will try, let's see if this beats the old Kai's Power Tools version smiley

The fractint colourmap upscaling is nice, will it also be able import fractint files some time?
Because that would really make it the bomb, i noticed most programs don't import old fractint parameters very well.

After a first look i must say i find there is quite an error in the program in that it always rerenders the preview even when nothing is altered, but just functions (like saving presets or switching from auto to manual iterations) accessed. It doesn't matter on easy renders but it get to be a real killer at more complex and interesting stuff.

And once should be able to switch to manual iterations just by changing the auto parameter smiley

I like the colourmap functions, that should be extended, it's ok to start at simple 3 base colours but i'd like more. I did immediatly found it a problem, too little control, it resulted in harsh edges in the palette which results in badly aliased images.

Some sort of temp autosaved history would be nice.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 10:30:30 PM by Saquedon » Logged

richardrosenman
Conqueror

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:18:36 PM »

Hi KRAFTWERK;

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah, unfortunately the compiler is limited to the Windows platform only. This is a problem with all my plugins and something I wish I could correct but I'm at the hands of the compiler developers.

Another limitation is that it's not 64bit native, and although that will come eventually, I'm not sure when.

Hi Saquedon;

Thanks for your feedback as well - it's definitely appreciated and the reason I put it here. It's not tough to remove the preview update with certain controls. For instance, I agree that if you click on the help button, the filter shouldn't need to update. There's a few other controls in which this case falls upon. I will add that to the list of fixes for the next release.

With regards to the aliasing, I wonder what you mean? Can you post an example? Naturally, anti-aliasing is off by default but increasing it should remove any kind of aliasing. With the .MAP files, sometimes there is banding depending on the intensity of the gradient between colors. .MAP files aren't as accurate as using the color swatches to create the gradient. So do you mean anti-aliasing or banding?

-Richard
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:21:50 PM by richardrosenman » Logged

richardrosenman
Conqueror

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:19:57 PM »

I have added images to the gallery section. Please check them out to see what Fractus can do. smiley

-Richard

Saquedon
Conqueror

saquedon Saquedon saquedon
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 01:10:55 PM »

Heavy aliasing occurs because of the harsh edges in the gradient map, i used a equation on the gradient map,  but i could not fine tune it, so the third colour had a hard edge, which results in heavy aliasing effect even with full 8x antialiasing.

Checkout the blue lines in highres, in made this in 7800x5200 8x antialias ! (Downscaled with PS CS4)

Emperor Dragon Mantle 1

richardrosenman
Conqueror

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:36:23 PM »

Hi Saquedon;

Sorry for my late reply. I got carried away with a new Buddhabrot plugin for Photoshop that I have just released in this section today. Please feel free to check it out.

Hopefully, I will now have a bit of time to revisit Fractus and take a look at your post although having learned about varying iterations per color channel for the Buddhabrot has peaked my curiosity as to what that would look like when applied to the 2D Mandelbrot. Could result in some beautiful images.

-Richard

Ta2man
Forums Newbie

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 03:31:36 PM »

which file in Photoshop cc is this installed? Im a noob! embarrass
richardrosenman
Conqueror

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 06:44:20 PM »

which file in Photoshop cc is this installed? Im a noob! embarrass

Simply place fractus.8bf in Photoshop's plug-ins folder. Make sure you are running Photoshop for Windows and that it is 64 bit. Also, there are clear and easy installation instructions under the installation tab of the Fractus page: http://richardrosenman.com/shop/fractus/

Hope you enjoy it and check out the other fractal plugins like Fractal Flanes!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: