Logo by HPDZ - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 12:38:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Kaleidoscopic (escape time) IFS  (Read 116145 times)
Description: An interresing class of fractals
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 01:16:09 AM »

Nice rendering! (as usual  tongue stuck out) Is it a mix of juliabulb and tetra-sierpinski?

Not a julia (that gives even more possibilties), that was a power 8 bulb and the tetra-sierpinski.

A combination with TGlads box is one more option that gives another endless variety...
(only a quick test, no more time yet)

Hamilton
Alien

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 10:48:55 AM »

Great shapes indeed!
Can't wait to play with these algorithms too... wink
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 09:17:27 PM »

Great shapes indeed!
Can't wait to play with these algorithms too... wink
If you like I'll make my script available. But it is not easy to use (at first).

Good stuff here...

If you remember some of my escape-time Sierpinskis, what you can do in general is define a set of vertices (e.g., those for an octahedron). Then for a given "z", find the nearest vertex. Reflect off the vertex, etc. using 2*(vertex)-point or something like that.

http://www.fractalforums.com/3d-fractal-generation/sierpinski-like-fractals-using-an-iterative-function/

-mike
Yes I remember wink. It's actually the starting point of these algorithms. The main difference is an explicit folding instead of choosing the nearest scaling center. I did so in order to make it GPU friendly.

What you do is perhaps (i'm not sure) more general but I was worrying about the continuity of the distance field. In fact I'm using a very simple DE based raymarcher that don't work well with discontinuous distance field.

Knighty, do you have some background information on how you constructed the generator code?
I mean, how does does
if(x-y<0){x1=y;y=x;x=x1;}
    if(x+y<0){x1=-y;y=-x;x=x1;}
    if(x-z<0){x1=z;z=x;x=x1;}  etc etc

generate the Sierpinsky ? ..and the code for the Menger sponge is also a bit of magic in my eyes..

I was trying to generate an octahedral Sierpinsky, but so far all my efforts have failed..

It is maybe easyer to visalize things in 2D. Let's take a 2D variant of msltoe's algorithm but for the sierpinski triangle. the coordinates of the centers of scaling are (1,0),(-0.5,sqrt(3)/2) and (-0.5,-sqrt(3)/2) (up to a rotation and scaling). In msltoe's algorithm at each iteration you take the scaling center that is closest to the current position then do the scaling (stretch) wrt the closest scaling center. But in our case the three centers are symmetric. There are 6 axis of symmetry. The idea is that choosing the nearest center of scaling is equivalent to reflect the current position about (some of) the symmetry axis in order to make it nearer to one of the centers. in the case of sierpinski triangle, two symmetries are enough. for example : the one that goes through (0,0) and (-0.5,-sqrt(3)/2) and the one that goes through (0,0) and (-0.5,sqrt(3)/2). They will "transport" any point of the plan in the area where they will be closer to (1,0) than the opposit centers.

In the case of octahedral sierpinski, there are 9 (need confirmation grin) planes of symmetry. if the vertices are: (1,0,0),(-1,0,0),(0,1,0),(0,-1,0),(0,0,1) and (0,0,-1) the planes of symmetry will be: x=0,y=0,z=0,x+y=0,x-y=0,x+z=0,x-z=0,y+z=0 and y-z=0. this full set is not necessary to get the octahedral sierpinski. Only 4 are needed. those that corresponds to (1,0,0) are x+y=0,x-y=0,x+z=0 and x-z=0.

With rotation, choosing the "minimal" set or the "full" set of planes of symmetry gives different results. The "full" set gives the most symmetric fractals.

That said, I realize that rotations before folding are equivalent to rotating the folding planes in the inverse direction. That means rotations are not necessary (but convenient) and can lead to some optimizations.(EDIT: this is not true.  hurt)

I'm just beginning to explore the math behind this fractals. They must have someting to do with Coxeter groups, among which the symmetries of the platonic solids, and paper folding maths (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coxeter_group,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics_of_paper_folding).

Next step: "origami fractals". guess why!  alien

Nice rendering! (as usual  tongue stuck out) Is it a mix of juliabulb and tetra-sierpinski?

Not a julia (that gives even more possibilties), that was a power 8 bulb and the tetra-sierpinski.

A combination with TGlads box is one more option that gives another endless variety...
(only a quick test, no more time yet)

<http://www.fractalforums.com/gallery/2/1127_06_05_10_1_11_18.jpeg>
Thanks. Combining fractals is the coolest idea of all. Is it Tglad box then Mandelbulb or the reverse?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:04:13 PM by knighty, Reason: I have to shut my mouth sometimes! » Logged
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 10:01:58 PM »

Thanks. Combining fractals is the coolest idea of all. Is it Tglad box then Mandelbulb or the reverse?
(edit:)
The first one was 1 iteration pow8 bulb and 4 iterations sierpinski tetrahedron, the second was imho sierpinsky terahedron and mandbox in that row. Both with negative scalings.

Btw, many thanks for the code. Just have to reprogram many things to get 9 parameters changed!
I think that will give enough combinations, for now i have to play around with combis.

Another one like the second image, but with default parameters, means scaling 2 for both:

http://www.fractalforums.com/gallery/2/1127_07_05_10_3_40_21.jpeg
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:41:11 PM by Jesse » Logged
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 11:09:53 PM »

Just have to reprogram many things to get 9 parameters changed!
I think that will give enough combinations, for now i have to play around with combis.
The number of combinations is becoming very big. I'm thinking about using metaprogramming. I'm working on the idea of generating GPU shaders on this basis. For CPU native code, a just in time script compiler would be useful.
JosLeys
Strange Attractor

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2010, 08:21:22 AM »

Thanks for the explanation.
Code for the octahedral Sierp :
Code:
scale=2
       if x+y<0, x1=-y,y=-x,x=x1,endif
       if x+z<0, x1=-z,z=-x,x=x1,endif
       if x-y<0, x1=y,y=x,x=x1,endif
       if x-z<0, x1=z,z=x,x=x1,endif

x=x*scale-1*(scale-1)
      y=y*scale-0*(scale-1)
      z=z*scale-0*(scale-1)

Here it is :

* KaleidoIFS_018.jpg (124.01 KB, 960x960 - viewed 668 times.)
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2010, 08:34:18 PM »

Nice one Azn
I'm working on dodeca and icosahedra-sierpinski. The folding set a little bit more difficult to find.
msltoe
Iterator

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2010, 08:55:55 PM »

It would be interesting to see if the folding plane solution produces the same results as the Julia vertex reflection for the icosahedron:

* ico.jpg (163.23 KB, 600x600 - viewed 725 times.)
subblue
Conqueror

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2010, 01:52:01 AM »

Thanks Jos for the octahedral folding. It gives some very interesting structures.
I've had a busy evening building my own mechanical tree - only managed the stump so far though smiley

www.subblue.com - a blog exploring mathematical and generative graphics
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2010, 11:39:47 AM »

Thanks Jos for the octahedral folding. It gives some very interesting structures.
I've had a busy evening building my own mechanical tree - only managed the stump so far though smiley

<Quoted Image Removed>

<Quoted Image Removed>
This is absolutely awesome subblue.

It would be interesting to see if the folding plane solution produces the same results as the Julia vertex reflection for the icosahedron:
Well, it should. I'll post the results later in case I succeed.
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2010, 12:00:13 PM »

whoa, GREAT subblue!
That's not too far away from a recursive Eifel-Tower cheesy
I guess, as that often is the case, that construction would be surprisingly stable, due to its fractal natue smiley
visual.bermarte
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2010, 01:46:08 PM »

Quick test (I have no time :-() Thanx to Mikael Hvidtfeldt (Syntopia) and Knighty!
<a href="http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/129/d/5/Distorted_Menger_by_bermarte.swf" target="_blank">http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/129/d/5/Distorted_Menger_by_bermarte.swf</a>
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2010, 02:30:21 PM »

Thanks for the animation visual. Cool! smiley
Finally I've obtained a good folding planes set for the dodecahedra-siepinski. Their normal vectors are:
(phi^2,1,-phi) , (-phi,phi^2,1) , (1,-phi,phi^2) , (-phi*(1+phi),phi^2-1,1+phi) , (1+phi,-phi*(1+phi),phi^2-1)
and the x=0, y=0 and z=0 planes.

The center of scaling should be (1,0,phi) for the dodeca sirpinski.
Phi is the golden ratio (phi=(1+sqrt(5))/2).

Here is the code I used (note that the vectors are normalized):
Code:
#define _IVNORM_ (0.5/_PHI_)
#define _PHI1_ (_PHI_*_IVNORM_)
#define _1PHI_ (_IVNORM_)
#define _PHI2_ (_PHI_*_PHI_*_IVNORM_)

#define _IKVNORM_ 1/sqrt((_PHI_*(1+_PHI_))^2+(_PHI_^2-1)^2+(1+_PHI_)^2)
#define _C1_ (_PHI_*(1+_PHI_)*_IKVNORM_)
#define _C2_ ((_PHI_*_PHI_-1)*_IKVNORM_)
#define _1C_ ((1+_PHI_)*_IKVNORM_)
dodecasierpinski3(x,y,z,scale,rot[3][3]){
   r=x*x+y*y+z*z;
   i=0;
   for(i=0;i<MaxIteration && r<Bailout; i++){
#ifdef PRE_ROTATE
      x1=rot[0][0]*x+rot[1][0]*y+rot[2][0]*z;
      y1=rot[0][1]*x+rot[1][1]*y+rot[2][1]*z;
      z1=rot[0][2]*x+rot[1][2]*y+rot[2][2]*z;
      x=x1;y=y1;z=z1;
#endif      
      x=abs(x);
      y=abs(y);
      z=abs(z);
      t=_PHI2_*x+_1PHI_*y-_PHI1_*z;
      if(t<0){x=x-2*t*_PHI2_;y=y-2*t*_1PHI_;z=z+2*t*_PHI1_;}

t=-_PHI1_*x+_PHI2_*y+_1PHI_*z;
      if(t<0){x=x+2*t*_PHI1_;y=y-2*t*_PHI2_;z=z-2*t*_1PHI_;}

t=_1PHI_*x-_PHI1_*y+_PHI2_*z;
      if(t<0){x=x-2*t*_1PHI_;y=y+2*t*_PHI1_;z=z-2*t*_PHI2_;}

t=-_C1_*x+_C2_*y+_1C_*z;
      if(t<0){x=x+2*t*_C1_;y=y-2*t*_C2_;z=z-2*t*_1C_;}

t=_1C_*x-_C1_*y+_C2_*z;
      if(t<0){x=x-2*t*_1C_;y=y+2*t*_C1_;z=z-2*t*_C2_;}

#ifdef POST_ROTATE
      x1=rot[0][0]*x+rot[1][0]*y+rot[2][0]*z;
      y1=rot[0][1]*x+rot[1][1]*y+rot[2][1]*z;
      z1=rot[0][2]*x+rot[1][2]*y+rot[2][2]*z;
      x=x1;y=y1;z=z1;
#endif      
      x=scale*x-(scale-1)*stc[0];//stc is the center of scaling
      y=scale*y-(scale-1)*stc[1];
      z=scale*z-(scale-1)*stc[2];
      r=x*x+y*y+z*z;
   }
   return (sqrt(r)-2)*scale^(-i);
}

Now some results:
dodeca01. center of scaling (1,1,1); scale=phi^2

dodeca02. center of scaling (1,1,1); scale=2*phi

Icosa01. center of scaling (1,0,phi); scale=2

Icosa02. center of scaling (1,0,phi); scale=phi^2

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:19:11 PM by knighty, Reason: Confusion between dodeca and icosa (thaks Jos Leys) » Logged
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2010, 02:40:19 PM »

Wanted to say two things:
1- In order to get interresting fractals, it's not necessary for the planes to go through (0,0,0). Any set of planes may give good fractal shapes. That's what I've called "origami fractals" grin
2- The distance estimate is very good and doesn't need (in general) to be scaled down. In some cases (when bailout is low) you need to scale it down a little (say descale=0.9 or 0.95).
JosLeys
Strange Attractor

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2010, 03:33:25 PM »

Do you have the code for icosa also?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: