Logo by Transdimensional - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 06:30:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Version 2.10, Clients Crashing  (Read 2974 times)
Description: including a workaround
paigan0
Fractal Lover

stephen.sink.9
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 05:47:32 PM »

Closing the connection lost Message Box (for the earlier event) caused both Client apps to crash.
Mandelbulber has always given me a "lost connection" box every time I've ever started up any flavor of version 2. I had to stop clicking "ok" and closing that, though, because it now crashes the client if I do so. So, I just leave the message box open and everything works fine.

I have noticed that clients can now come online when I start them in the middle of a render job, and they will sit there as "ready" until the current frame is over, and then start working at the start of the next frame. I no longer have to stop the render and restart with the added client to get it to start working. That's awesome, as I can start with a few clients and then roll them in one by one and watch the render farm get bigger, the render times get smaller, and never have to start and re-stop the whole job.   

Stephen (Steve) Sink, Paigan Productions
(SoundCloud) http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
(3D Fractal Music Videos) http://vimeo.com/channels/fractals
CCV
Navigator

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 01:41:05 AM »

Mandelbulber has always given me a "lost connection" box every time I've ever started up any flavor of version 2. I had to stop clicking "ok" and closing that, though, because it now crashes the client if I do so. So, I just leave the message box open and everything works fine.
Same here, except I'm now using a modified version of 2.10 intended to fix a different networking bug. A side benefit of which is the lost connection problem - ERROR flashing for a fraction of a second before connection is established - also being fixed, so I don't get the message box unless connection is lost by some other means.
I tended to ignore it and just leave it there too. I don't remember the Client crashing, as a rule, when I did get around to clicking it off tho. It definitely does now, if rendering is underway at the time. I want to see what happens when I close it without rendering in progress and I will test it once a current task is complete. (was estimated at about 8 hours, but is going take at least four times that) I have a vague notion it doesn't crash unless rendering, but we'll see...

I have noticed that clients can now come online when I start them in the middle of a render job, and they will sit there as "ready" until the current frame is over, and then start working at the start of the next frame. I no longer have to stop the render and restart with the added client to get it to start working. That's awesome, as I can start with a few clients and then roll them in one by one and watch the render farm get bigger, the render times get smaller, and never have to start and re-stop the whole job.
That is interesting. I didn't know, but will bear it in mind. Thank you.  smiley
CCV
Navigator

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 04:46:38 AM »

It has generally been my habit to ignore any lost connection message boxes until I'm ready to close the program anyway. That is, after rendering has stopped. In that case, and I tested it again, closing the message box doesn't crash the client. Neither does closing it before starting render, as far as I've checked. It certainly does crash the client when rendering is in progress.

I'm now using mandelbulber2-win64-2.10 - NetRender bug fix version, because the 2.10 release version was producing errors (marked in red in the attachment) which crashed the client(s) as soon as render started. The NetRender bug fix, as an additional benefit, stopped the "Error: Connection" lost problem. So, hopefully, we can look forward to it being gone in the next release. 

* Clients.jpg (240.04 KB, 981x514 - viewed 224 times.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: