Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 07:05:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Series approximation for M set  (Read 9566 times)
Description: Definition of A, B, C
Kalles Fraktaler
Fractal Senior

kallesfraktaler
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 10:16:26 AM »

Okay, I've updated all my software to enable zooming up to the machine memory limit. But I'm now amazed to find I can zoom past 10e640 and still get away with using machine hardware doubles after the SA calculations. How is this possible when the initial delta is far too small to have an effect on the outcome?  huh?
That is very cool! I assume you are using a high precision datatype for the SA calculations and the delta pixel position?

The answer is that SA is skipping the iterations that requires higher precision smiley
But I don't think you can zoom past hardware limit on arbitrary locations, and definitely not close to a minibrot?

Mandel machine is exploiting this alot, because it also benefits the parallel calculation capabiltites of SIMD that requires hardware datatypes, and is even using the 32-bit float datatype for massive parallel computing. However it failes on some locations.

Want to create DEEP Mandelbrot fractals 100 times faster than the commercial programs, for FREE? One hour or one minute? Three months or one day? Try Kalles Fraktaler http://www.chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler
http://www.facebook.com/kallesfraktaler
skychurch
Alien

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 08:44:13 PM »

That is very cool! I assume you are using a high precision datatype for the SA calculations and the delta pixel position?

The answer is that SA is skipping the iterations that requires higher precision smiley
But I don't think you can zoom past hardware limit on arbitrary locations, and definitely not close to a minibrot?

Mandel machine is exploiting this alot, because it also benefits the parallel calculation capabiltites of SIMD that requires hardware datatypes, and is even using the 32-bit float datatype for massive parallel computing. However it failes on some locations.

Thanks for the confirmation, Kalles. It finally started to fail at 10e670 at which point I switched from double to my FPU implementation, which is synonymous to your long double and is a lot slower due to single register only usage.

It would be nice to be able to switch this automatically but I've no idea how to do this at the moment.

FYI, I'm using full arbitrary precision for the reference points and 64 bit exponent and 128 bit mantissa for the SA calculations. I still need to build extended number implementation for when fpu is no longer viable post SA.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: