Logo by Khaotik - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 10:08:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbrot whirlwind  (Read 4370 times)
Timeroot
Fractal Fertilizer

The pwnge.

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 07:41:01 AM »

Okay, I finally learned how to write code for Ultra Fractal. You can find a pretty general group of formulas for the ones mentioned here under ahm.ufm.  cheesy Is it possible to make 3D fractals in Ultra Fractal?

Someday, man will understand primary theory; how every aspect of our universe has come about. Then we will describe all of physics, build a complete understanding of genetic engineering, catalog all planets, and find intelligent life. And then we'll just puzzle over fractals for eternity.
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 01:48:20 PM »

Yes smiley

Here's my currently released wip 3D formula (old-style ufm type):

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/MMFwip3D.zip

If you'd prefer to use UF 5's class based coding then check out Ron Barnett's ray-tracer formulas in the "reb.*" formulas/library.

I will be releasing an update to my wip 3D formula either today or tomorrow.

I should add that you can do (escape-time) 3D IFS too - see mmf4.ufm:3D IFS
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 09:40:34 PM by David Makin » Logged

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Timeroot
Fractal Fertilizer

The pwnge.

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 05:21:07 PM »

I'm sorry, I can't seem to get any of the 3D fractals to work. I tried the reb formulas and the mmf formulas, changing the color formulas appropriately. If it's 3D, I seem to always get either a blue, black, or transparent screen, with the exception of the reb "3D Fractal Raytrace". And I always let the image finish calcuating. ...help? huh?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:37:31 PM by Timeroot » Logged

Someday, man will understand primary theory; how every aspect of our universe has come about. Then we will describe all of physics, build a complete understanding of genetic engineering, catalog all planets, and find intelligent life. And then we'll just puzzle over fractals for eternity.
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 06:42:19 PM »

I'm sorry, I can't seem to get any of the 3D fractals to work. I tried the reb formulas and the mmf formulas, changing the color formulas appropriately. If it's 3D, I seem to always get either a blue, black, or transparent screen, with the exception of the reb "3D Fractal Raytrace". And I always let the image finish calcuating. ...help? huh?

For my formula that I posted the link to then you shouild use mmf4.ucl:3D colouring direct as the *inside* colouring.
I'm not sure about Ron's formulas, I haven't used them for a while.

Timeroot
Fractal Fertilizer

The pwnge.

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 12:12:28 AM »

Hmm, now it works. I hadn't even changed anything. ...were the "alien overlords" passing overheard before, disrupting my computer? Must've been. Hmph.

Anyway, I guess you can't create 3D fractals in UF very easily then? I guess that's one advantage ChaosPro has over UF: If you write out your formula in terms of quaternions, it can handle the 3D slicing and projection for you. Ah well. I tried looking through your WIP, but I could only make a toe of it. No head nor tail.  sad

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 12:59:49 AM »

Hmm, now it works. I hadn't even changed anything. ...were the "alien overlords" passing overheard before, disrupting my computer? Must've been. Hmph.

Anyway, I guess you can't create 3D fractals in UF very easily then? I guess that's one advantage ChaosPro has over UF: If you write out your formula in terms of quaternions, it can handle the 3D slicing and projection for you. Ah well. I tried looking through your WIP, but I could only make a toe of it. No head nor tail.  sad

My formulas aren't known for their ease of reading (including by me) - I have a strong tendency to optimise rather than write for clarity - including what doesn't really need optimising - also I tend to omit comments smiley

Basically the global: sets up all the variables that are fixed for the entire render such as the view transformation, the light source array data etc.
Then the int: section is where the ray-tracing takes place.
The loop: section simply sends the required data to the colouring that's required to render the fractal.

UF gives you your 2D coords on a rectangle as #pixel and I basically use this rectangle as an image plane which is at a user specified distance from the user specified target and at user specified angles - the viewpoint being a user specified distance further from the target through the centre of the image plane.
So in the init: section the #pixel value is transformed to give our direction vector for the ray through the current pixel then we simply ray-trace from where this ray crosses the user specified front clipping plane.
The ray-tracing loop actually operates in up to 6 different states - calculate at current step on ray, calculate at current step+delta and calculate (at one step position only but maybe at step and at step+delta) for each of the 4 adjacent rays (for getting the normal at the found solid).

I hope that helps smiley
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:01:34 AM by David Makin » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: