Logo by DsyneGrafix - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 02:49:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: The price of computer graphics 2 d  (Read 7170 times)
Lois
Conqueror

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 02:56:23 PM »

I thought Lois was a female name.  Maybe that's just an American thing?

But the most important questions have been ignored :

If you are serious about selling your art, you must first make it into a physical, tangible, object!

Nobody I have ever heard of sells computer art as a digital file, but many sell it as prints.

You need to understand that if you want to have any hope of making a sale.

After it is made into a real world object, you can then try to work a deal with any of the many Art Galleries in the world.  Other than that, I sincerely believe you will have the most difficult of all possible times getting any serious customers to even look at it, let alone make an offer.

I spent 15 years buying and selling Art before I came to my senses and went back to school, so I do speak from experience.  Get the Art OFF the computer, then we can talk.

In some countries, Lois man's name. I think can sell a digital graphics. And for what prices are selling prints?
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 04:04:33 PM »

Just for reference.

Anything on canvas +/- 120 x 80 cm can be sold for about 150,- euro
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 04:07:55 PM »

ignored again:
How did you print it?  On what stock paper?  Or is it a 3D Print?  Printed on canvas?

What are the exact physical properties (dimensions and things like is it framed, etc.) of the finished product that can be held in hand or displayed on a wall?

All of that is critical before approaching an Art Gallery to set up a consignment - which is your best bet to sell any piece of Art before you establish a name for yourself and can sell based on that name alone.
if you expect members to spend their time giving you serious and helpful answers please have the decency to provide the necessary information.

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Lois
Conqueror

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 04:48:50 PM »

ignored again:if you expect members to spend their time giving you serious and helpful answers please have the decency to provide the necessary information.

I mean it was the sale of computer graphics digital. Other options I do not really care.
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 04:59:44 PM »

Nobody pays for digital files except people buying internet design services.

Well, just ask any internet design service.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 06:28:09 PM »

I mean it was the sale of computer graphics digital. Other options I do not really care.

OK, I first should apologize for mistaking your gender!  I never heard Lois used as a man's name before.

As for selling Art digitally - I exaggerated when I said nobody sells it or buys it in digital format.  But in Every instance I have ever seen digital art sold as digital files you are not selling the art - you are selling the rights to use that art in other people's projects.  For example; think of "Stock Photography" or Textures for 3D Models or even for use in Motion Graphics for video production.

Those sorts of things are the only ways I have ever seen purely digital files sold for Artistic purposes.  But be aware that if you go that route, you lose any control over what sort of projects your work is used in, or how badly an end user may mangle, distort, chop out pieces from, or otherwise alter your work.  If, as you said, this is a religious work - you may want to be wary of that route since the ways it could end up in use may be considered blasphemous to you.  Like I said, selling Stock Art means you give up all rights to, or control over, how and in what medium your art appears.  Plus, while the buyers are forbidden from claiming the art as their own creations, they are under no obligation to credit you as the source!

If you are OK with that, try to put together a "pack" of such pieces (maybe 4 to 12 works) and approach a site like Shutterstock or some other "stock art" site.

Another option is to sell prints through a site like Deviant Art.  They offer all members the chance to sell their works printed in all sorts of ways.  It may be worth looking into.

Finally, should you go the direct route and try making prints, prices vary widely depending on the size of the print, the paper stock, printing technique, nature of the print run (limited, unlimited, large, small, single piece never to be reprinted, signed, signed and numbered, etc) plus the dimensions of the print )in inches or centimeters or whatever unit you prefer).  I have seen prices range from $3 to $500 for prints I have been interested in  (though none were CGI art, the same range should apply).

If you have a printing budget, I'd suggest a limited run of something between 25 and 250.  Sign and sequentially number each one of the first 90% or so (in a run of 250 I would sign/number 200)  (use the format 1/200, 2/200, etc) (then of the remaining 50 sign 25 of them as AP/200 which stands for "Artists Proof" and are generally reserved for either special customers or the Gallery displaying your work) (and keep 25 for back up in case of damaged or destroyed items - These can be sold as "Unlimited Editions" should the rest sell out)

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Lois
Conqueror

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 06:41:39 PM »

OK, I first should apologize for mistaking your gender!  I never heard Lois used as a man's name before.

As for selling Art digitally - I exaggerated when I said nobody sells it or buys it in digital format.  But in Every instance I have ever seen digital art sold as digital files you are not selling the art - you are selling the rights to use that art in other people's projects.  For example; think of "Stock Photography" or Textures for 3D Models or even for use in Motion Graphics for video production.

Those sorts of things are the only ways I have ever seen purely digital files sold for Artistic purposes.  But be aware that if you go that route, you lose any control over what sort of projects your work is used in, or how badly an end user may mangle, distort, chop out pieces from, or otherwise alter your work.  If, as you said, this is a religious work - you may want to be wary of that route since the ways it could end up in use may be considered blasphemous to you.  Like I said, selling Stock Art means you give up all rights to, or control over, how and in what medium your art appears.  Plus, while the buyers are forbidden from claiming the art as their own creations, they are under no obligation to credit you as the source!

If you are OK with that, try to put together a "pack" of such pieces (maybe 4 to 12 works) and approach a site like Shutterstock or some other "stock art" site.

Another option is to sell prints through a site like Deviant Art.  They offer all members the chance to sell their works printed in all sorts of ways.  It may be worth looking into.

Finally, should you go the direct route and try making prints, prices vary widely depending on the size of the print, the paper stock, printing technique, nature of the print run (limited, unlimited, large, small, single piece never to be reprinted, signed, signed and numbered, etc) plus the dimensions of the print )in inches or centimeters or whatever unit you prefer).  I have seen prices range from $3 to $500 for prints I have been interested in  (though none were CGI art, the same range should apply).

If you have a printing budget, I'd suggest a limited run of something between 25 and 250.  Sign and sequentially number each one of the first 90% or so (in a run of 250 I would sign/number 200)  (use the format 1/200, 2/200, etc) (then of the remaining 50 sign 25 of them as AP/200 which stands for "Artists Proof" and are generally reserved for either special customers or the Gallery displaying your work) (and keep 25 for back up in case of damaged or destroyed items - These can be sold as "Unlimited Editions" should the rest sell out)

Thank you. Selling stock to only simple things. Very rare works should go at a different price and a different way.
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 10:17:54 PM »

maybe read through this thread:
http://www.fractalforums.com/art-discussions/making-money-with-fractal-art/

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: