Logo by lycium - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 09:38:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Competition 2014 - Still Frame Results  (Read 7881 times)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 06:10:35 PM »

i have prepared the analysis as descriped in the above paper, so, if you wish i can provide an voting system as described in the paper, but keep in mind we would need some votes for each entry to make it work wink

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 02:58:31 PM »

i have prepared the analysis as descriped in the above paper, so, if you wish i can provide an voting system as described in the paper, but keep in mind we would need some votes for each entry to make it work wink

That's one idea, but personally I prefer a simpler system.  If we choose that method, we'd likely have to impose the "must vote on every image" rule.  Or find a way around the need to do so for the formula to work  (which I see as the biggest drawback to that technique as I see it - and in my opinion the thing that will ultimately prove it not good enough for the contest)  (I also believe using the gallery's star system is not conducive to a contest and a totally new system must be found).

But if we want to test many various voting techniques, that is as good a starting point as any.  

I'd like to start this idea of Monthly Challenges soon (August 1st, so it has a full month?), and maybe start a new child board in the contests board and  let this "one location for everybody to map/color" idea be our first challenge.

I envision a thread for posting entries (can the gallery be set to post entries to the challenges to that thread?) and a voting thread with a poll for the next challenge's theme.  The voting technique would be different each month so we can get real experience seeing each one in action with plenty of time for the community to establish which one is most suited to our smaller voting pool and unique range of personalities present on this forum   afro

This would have no prizes of any kind and would just be a challenge to keep us amused and to test various alternative organizational techniques for The Big Contest next year.

So, to keep this discussion going - what sort of location would folks suggest?  A not too deep minibrot?  An embedded julia type thing?  A seahorse, elephant, or dragon?  A classic spiral?

What sorts of limits should we impose?  The obvious one is "No Layering" but there may be some who don't want too extravagant mapping techniques like restricting color cycling animated gif images, or images of beautiful women in orbit traps   clown

Maybe I can make the board and have the first post be a poll with these options, and any others suggested here?

We have all month to decide, but the sooner we make an organized effort and make it Official that this will happen, the better!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 03:35:25 PM by Sockratease » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
LhoghoNurbs
Safarist

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »

Monthly Challenges is a nice idea, although it might be hard to invent an interesting and unique challenge every month. Also, instead of 12 times per year, it could be 11 or 10 -- i.e. no monthly challenge during the annual contest...
Caleidoscope
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 11:39:04 PM »

So, to keep this discussion going - what sort of location would folks suggest?  A not too deep minibrot?  An embedded julia type thing?  A seahorse, elephant, or dragon?  A classic spiral?

Maybe stupid, but why not every month  (or 6... a year, it is a lot of work Socratease smiley a challenge within certain restrictions, every time different  and maybe even with fun ideas  from the participants themselves (?)  And I would suggest to put this on a  seperate board, no matter if it's a julia or whatever. 

You know, in my view  pfffff   there are so many artists here and they know so much about stuff I can't even pronounce,  that in my simple opinion I think it will be fantastic to see how they take up the glove, accept the challenge no matter what and make the best of it.  All of them winners, all another view, another interpretation of the challenge they were confronted with!

Goodnight, I'm gonna walk the dog and hit the pillow.   snore
Greetings from the Netherlands.

"Today you create the memory for tomorrow, be sure to make it a good one"
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 05:33:36 AM »

people, this is developing and obviously the is the demand not only for a good voting system for the annual compo, but a demand for a monthly compo, we are going to rovide that soon, lets just take a breath and enjoy the annual results, we will come up with something very soon!

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
LhoghoNurbs
Safarist

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 08:12:35 PM »

If there are too many contests, then many people might get emotionally tired of taking part in each of them ... and they will soon start skipping them. This may reduce the number of participants in the annual contest. If there is one contest, then everyone will be focused on it.

Here is another idea:

• The spring contest focused on the artistic aspect of fractals in the full spectrum of art (like poems, sculptures, hand drawings, blended images, etc).
  • The autumn contest focused on the technological aspect of fractals (like algorithms, performance, renderings, formulas, etc).
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »

If there are too many contests, then many people might get emotionally tired of taking part in each of them ... and they will soon start skipping them. This may reduce the number of participants in the annual contest. If there is one contest, then everyone will be focused on it.

Here is another idea:

• The spring contest focused on the artistic aspect of fractals in the full spectrum of art (like poems, sculptures, hand drawings, blended images, etc).
  • The autumn contest focused on the technological aspect of fractals (like algorithms, performance, renderings, formulas, etc).

That's odd.  I have had the opposite experience!

First, there will still only be One contest per year.

The concept we were discussing is just a series of monthly challenges with no prizes or anything and the only reason to even declare any sort of winner is to test voting schemes for the next real contest.

My experience at 3D Art sites is that there are often many contests running at once, each with prizes (which we are in no position to do) , and many of them are monthly.

It keeps people in practice and sometimes the narrow theme of a challenge can force people to work within timelines and on a theme they may not otherwise have tried.

Granted, the 3D Crowd is hoping to one day get graphics work, so such things have more value to them.

But nobody should feel pressured to participate - it's all just for fun.

I have had little time to set this up in it's own forum, it may be easier to use the gallery.  Still not sure on that...

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: