Logo by Sockratease - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. May 06, 2024, 09:56:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: What is causing freezeup in 189 Navigator?  (Read 11410 times)
chaos_crystal
Safarist

I Have No Limits.

« on: June 03, 2013, 05:15:16 AM »

I've been having a problem with MB3D's navigator freezing up when I zoom in really close on an object. My desktop PC is slow but it shouldn't be that slow! The drawing will slow down more and more and become increasingly pixelated until it stops and the program is frozen. A friend of mine has been having the exact same trouble, he said, "If you make too many changes before it finishes refreshing the image, it freezes." Well, that shouldn't be happening, should it?  confused

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a bug or just one of those things we have to put up with? 

I conceived and developed a new geometry of nature and implemented its use in a number of diverse fields. It describes many of the irregular and fragmented patterns around us, and leads to full-fledged theories, by identifying a family of shapes I call fractals.

— Benoit Mandelbrot
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:30:33 PM »

I've encountered similar stability probs with the navigator. The only way I found to unfreeze, ist to restart the program.
besides that m3d still has many stability issues in connection with energy saving functions of windows (s3 and s4)

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 12:02:06 AM »

I've been having a problem with MB3D's navigator freezing up when I zoom in really close on an object. My desktop PC is slow but it shouldn't be that slow! The drawing will slow down more and more and become increasingly pixelated until it stops and the program is frozen. A friend of mine has been having the exact same trouble, he said, "If you make too many changes before it finishes refreshing the image, it freezes." Well, that shouldn't be happening, should it?  confused

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a bug or just one of those things we have to put up with? 

If you are inside the fractal, what is not always obvious after the changes, the zoom increases very much and might lead also to freezing sometimes.
So you have to switch to the fixed zoom mode by pressing F6, before further navigating.

Of course this need to be improved for a saver handling.

@Taurus, dunno what the problems with the shutdown mode are like, have not tested much in this direction.
The only thing i have done is that the program tells on a windows request for shutting down, that m3d would not allow shutting down.
But every windows version has its differences... can't support all and everything.
taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 06:05:34 AM »

It's nothing I can reproduce, but I'm going to scrennshot next time it's comintg up. Since the history folder it's not that disturbing...

taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 10:28:16 PM »

ok, here comes the first screen. in this case the program still works properly (as far as i tested), but you can't quit anymore. you need a task manager to quit. Sometimes more functions, like saving are struck. More of that, when it occurs...

* xchange.jpg (189.51 KB, 1039x805 - viewed 286 times.)

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 11:24:35 PM »

ok, here comes the first screen. in this case the program still works properly (as far as i tested), but you can't quit anymore. you need a task manager to quit. Sometimes more functions, like saving are struck. More of that, when it occurs...

Are you running the program over a network?

I can set some flags for the program that are related to this issue, maybe this would help...
taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 04:20:02 AM »

Are you running the program over a network?

Nope, I'm running it on an USB drive.

LadyGrey
Forums Newbie

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 02:29:55 PM »

Hi, I'm also having a problem with the Navi in 1.8.9 freezing and have to terminate the program with Task Manager. The trigger in my case is using any dIFS formula. I was trying out Dark-Beam's (Luca) Smiley Tutorial http://dark-beam.deviantart.com/art/Smileys-and-DIFS-playing-281255598 and Reflective dIFS Tuto http://dark-beam.deviantart.com/art/REFLECTIVE-DIFS-tuto-305115761.

MB3D is the only active program running on a Windows 7 stand-alone desktop from the hard drive. I'm a newbie so am not doing anything complicated but can't rule out stupid wink
PhotoComix
Strange Attractor

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 10:30:15 PM »

The trigger in my case is using any dIFS formula.

Are you sure is dIFS ?
I am rendering a series of quite complex dIFS parameters , huge renders often with really long rendering time  ...and even stressing the 3D navigator in the while, when rendering , to try different views

M3D doesn't like much doing that , and so the new view is very slowly displayed in the nav, but must be considered this happening when is busy rendering.

Just to say that the culprit may be something else then dIFS
...are you using M3D from a usb drive ? Do you have occasion to try if running on a USB 3 pendrive improve (in case you use a older model )?

LadyGrey
Forums Newbie

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 08:44:41 PM »

I found my error a few minutes ago. I forgot to switch to Decombinate mode after shifting the dIFS to Fo1 while following the "Reflective dIFS Tutorial". A sphere is now showing in the fractal and I can carry on with the tuto.

Thanks for the reply! smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: