Logo by reallybigname - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 05:36:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Self-similarity of variable stars and their atomic scale building blocks  (Read 2925 times)
rloldershaw
Navigator

« on: October 06, 2006, 04:29:13 PM »

For those who are interested in fractal phenomena in nature, I have an example that you might like to explore.

An important class of variable stars are known as RR Lyrae stars and they are largely composed of helium atoms and ions.  There appears to be a discrete fractal relationship between the fundamental properties of the stars and those of their atomic scale building blocks.  This discrete self-similar relationship is quantifiable and is shown to apply to their masses, radii and oscillation frequencies.

Two paper that develop the concepts and observational tests can be found at

www.arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/papers/0510/0510147.pdf     and

www.arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/papers/0606/0606128.pdf   .

Research that extends the discrete fractal modelling to delta Scuti variable stars and ZZ Ceti variable stars is also available at my website at www.amherst.edu/~rloldershaw (see the "New Developments" section)or at the www.arxiv.org preprint website, if you search on Oldershaw.

As always, questions, comments and criticism are very welcome.

Rob
web2k
Forums Newbie

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 02:18:45 PM »

I noticed this post on sci.physics newsgroup this morning and thought rloldershaw and others might otherwise miss it.

(quote)
Newsgroups: sci.physics
Subject: Fractal Universe
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:57:02 -0500
Message-ID: <kfednTpmzc4CFa_YnZ2dnUVZ_rCdnZ2d@comcast.com>

I know that many people will think that these ideas are really crazy, but I
think that this guy is raising some interesting issues.

http://www.amherst.edu/~rloldershaw/stars2/index.html

While I dont think that he has really proved his claims, he has certainly
assembled some interesting observations which seem to support the Bohr
model.

Coupling those ideas with the ideas found here
http://sciphysicsopenmanuscript.blogspot.com/    could lead to a whole new
view of the universe.

Seems to explain pretty much just about everything.

(end of quote)
heneganj
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 03:36:26 PM »

Good spot.
rloldershaw
Navigator

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 05:50:20 PM »

Hi web2k,

You are right, I probably would have missed that post.  A direct link to the main page of the Fractal Cosmology website is

http://www.amherst.edu/~rloldershaw .

Thank you very much for for letting me know about Snellbach's comments.

And if anybody at this forum has questions/comments/criticism, I am at your service.

In the "Selected Papers" section, paper #0 is a brief manifesto that is motivational (no scientific expertise is required).  In the same section, paper #3 gives a brief non-technical run through some arguments for a fractal paradigm of nature (little science background is required).  And finally in the "Galactic Scale Self-Similarity" section, if you scroll down to "II. Preview", you get a 2-minute run through a reinterpretation of the Big Bang paradigm within the unbounded discrete fractal paradigm.

Not much time and effort is involved in making this initial exploration into fractal cosmology, and you will probably have no difficulty coming up with questions or comments.  I would be honored to try to answer them.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: