Logo by Cyclops - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 07:40:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulb on MAC  (Read 31931 times)
Description: What are you doing???
LMarkoya
Strange Attractor

« on: November 08, 2011, 10:12:34 PM »

I( know this subject has been covered a bit, but thought I'd ask again as to what others are doing for Mandelbulb. Just got a new system and I'm trying to do without Boot Camp and a windows installation.
I have tried Crossover but have some problems...it does not seem to recognize my own files when I copy them over to the MAC. And from then on MAndelbulb started missbehaving needing 2 clicks to activate anything instead of one, etc...soooo....just thought I'd ask who is doing what successfully.

I'm running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

Thanks in advance
Louis
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 10:39:45 PM »

I'm running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

That's your problem right there.

Mac broke HUNDREDS of programs with 10.6, and THOUSANDS with 10.7

Yes, the mac people screwed up.  I know that is impossible for most mac users to accept, but I know it to be true.

I use 10.5 and Crossover - and never once had any issues with Mandelbulb 3D.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
slock
Alien

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 12:19:31 PM »

Hi,
I actually got Mandelbulb 3d to work on osx 10.6 and 10.7 (lion), as a native app and I already rendered a lot of formulas, with absolutly no performance or graphic issue, I'll send it when I'll be back home (quite soon)
also, I dit not have any issue with lion, all my apps works fine just as they did on SL

ps : if jesse come, I can post all your release of mandelbulb for mac if you want, but I'll just ask you to add a little textbox to paste the parameters found on the internet, as the clipboard is not recognized by your app's import system, but very well by any textbox (including the one already here in your program, such as the rotation or position of the camera
thanks
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 12:25:00 PM by slock, Reason: forgot to say something ... » Logged
LMarkoya
Strange Attractor

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 03:38:37 PM »

THat would be great....let me know if you can share it

slock
Alien

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 04:24:44 PM »

hi,
unfortunatly, the file is too big for the forum, so I have to send it to mediafire, here is the link : http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?355yzk3xdkdb47y

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 04:38:13 PM »

Hi,
I actually got Mandelbulb 3d to work on osx 10.6 and 10.7 (lion), as a native app and I already rendered a lot of formulas, with absolutly no performance or graphic issue, I'll send it when I'll be back home (quite soon)
also, I dit not have any issue with lion, all my apps works fine just as they did on SL

ps : if jesse come, I can post all your release of mandelbulb for mac if you want, but I'll just ask you to add a little textbox to paste the parameters found on the internet, as the clipboard is not recognized by your app's import system, but very well by any textbox (including the one already here in your program, such as the rotation or position of the camera
thanks

Hi,
i am not sure if i understood correctly, i can make the text parameters readable as a kind of textfile instead the clipboard, did not thought tof that this function does not work on other operating systems. (If this is what you are requesting)

And the version 1.7.3.1 is still in the download section available, have you changed something that makes it work better on a Mac?
slock
Alien

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 08:55:24 PM »

Hi,
yes, you understood me well smiley
the main problem with porting app to other os using the wine method is the clipboard, it works kinda "strangely" : I can easily copy/paste anything between native osx apps and wine apps, but sometime it just doesn't work, like in gimp or for instance mandelbulb 3D, the way you access the clipboard ain't recognized, BUT when I take some parameters on the web using safari, I can paste them in any textbox present in mandelbulb 3D, that way, if you could simply put a new window when the import parameters button is pressed, and in this window put a textbox and a button that read the data from the textbox, or as you said, being able to import parameters from a txt would also be fine

btw, I haven't modified you're app in any way, I just built a wrapper around it so mac osx can run it as he would do for any other app, meaning that the exe file and all its library remain untouched, that way I can update the wrapper using any future (or previous) version of mandelbulb 3D in a matter of seconds, so 1.7.3.1 should work as fine (but I haven't tried yet), if you want me to try, I can do it
I also think I could manage to port it on Linux, but I can't promise anything as I haven't tried yet

anyway, thank you for this awesome app, and if you want me to port further version of it, just ask wink (or I could tell you how to do it by yourself, you don't need a mac for the upgrade procedure, it's as you want)
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 12:07:13 AM »

Ok, now i understand what you mean with textbox, this would be no problem.

But i have no clue about the wrapper thing, if Mac users can profit from it you might upload this wrapper because the download link you posted is only for a bit old m3d version, no other files in there.  huh?
slock
Alien

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 08:24:43 AM »

Hi
In fact the wrapper is the .app file I shared, with mandelbulb 3d 1.7.4.1 inside just figured out that I sent the wrong archive, oops, sorry about that
But since I don't go to the download section often, I just didn't noticed that v1.7.5.1 came out Sceptical
I'll update it today, this shouldn't be too long

edit : just updated the wrapper, no more textbox needed, the update seems to have fixed the bug, now the app is fully operational on mac !
download link : http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?c5hj5ycivlb0lna

also, if one day you want to translate your app to french, I'll do it with great pleasure
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 05:14:47 PM by slock » Logged
mauxuam
Alien

salamaundra
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 09:05:12 PM »

tnx !
it works really well on my machine (macbook pro 10.6.cool.
finally no need to reboot smiley
sprool
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 11:58:43 AM »

Hi
In fact the wrapper is the .app file I shared, with mandelbulb 3d 1.7.4.1 inside just figured out that I sent the wrong archive, oops, sorry about that
But since I don't go to the download section often, I just didn't noticed that v1.7.5.1 came out Sceptical
I'll update it today, this shouldn't be too long

edit : just updated the wrapper, no more textbox needed, the update seems to have fixed the bug, now the app is fully operational on mac !
download link : http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?c5hj5ycivlb0lna
This is great news, been searching and searching for something good to run on the mac, can this be made a bit more PUBLIC ? A lot of people moaning about no good software to run oin the mac. Will try this asap when I get home tonight.
sprool
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 08:18:51 PM »

Big thx - works fine on the mac (OS X 10.7) Finally!! A great 3d mandel prog for the mac smiley
professurreal
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 12:26:29 PM »

Hi i just seem to have one issue with the mac version... When I go to lighting and want to select a lightmap it just says "lightmap not found".
However, the images are in the folder...
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 06:02:44 PM »

Can you specify the directory for the maps with the 'Ini Dirs' button in the 'Utilities' submenu?
The images must be in png or jpg format and the name has to be only the number you selected.
professurreal
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 09:16:17 AM »

It seems like it doesn't work with the default setting as there is no C: drive on a mac so I just had to point it at the right directory.

Thanks for pointing it out wink
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: