Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 11:56:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Gallery Posting Limits Coming Very Soon!  (Read 25537 times)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »

Here we are talking about images locally hosted here and posted in the Galleries

But what about posting images hosted elsewhere ?

If someone want show his images at better resolution or bigger size can't just do it ?

There are limitation or rules about ?

PS
 i hope i did not give to some troll the idea to post in the same topic a few hundreds png at 8000x6000
Obviously also for images hosted elsewhere should be some reasonable limit of size and quantity

..just asking i am new to this forum that is fascinating but also a labyrinth

That's why I suggested posting your externally hosted images as comments in the gallery.

If they are posted as comments in the gallery itself, and not the threads created in the forum by the gallery, they will not clutter the recent posts section, and you can have all you want posted, at almost any resolution you want.

This plan would work especially well for those "series" you mentioned.

Just upload one image within the normal size limits, then "comment" on the image with your externally hosted images using the [img] tag to display them.

Hope that helps.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
PhotoComix
Strange Attractor

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »

Cool !
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 12:51:37 PM »

just use the description of the image

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »

just use the description of the image

But wouldn't that would clog the recent posts area and defeat the purpose   huh?

That's why I prefer the gallery comments for multiple image posts, especially high resolution images. High resolution images distort the whole recent posts page   police

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 01:39:29 PM »

But wouldn't that would clog the recent posts area and defeat the purpose   huh?

why should it? linked images in the description are part of one gallery entry! or did i get something wrong here?  huh?

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 04:03:39 PM »

why should it? linked images in the description are part of one gallery entry! or did i get something wrong here?  huh?

The description gets posted in the recent posts page, while comments do not.

So posting huge amounts of images in the comments wont inhibit reading recent posts  (lots of images take a long time to load, and large images distort the tables on the page they appear).

So if we want to both allow mass image posting, or high resolution image posting, that would be the only way I can see which would not "pollute" the recent posts page.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 08:02:55 PM »

i use http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=unread for checking the news, and that would be fine, but recent posts show the bodies ... hmm sad

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »

ahhh, now i get it! like christian i use the list, so i didn't get your point Sockratease.
in this case a comment would be the better choice...  grin

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Tim Emit
Conqueror

https://www.facebook.com/
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 08:16:59 PM »

To be honest i am only too  happy to be limited to one a day..sure I could spam away endlessly (fragmentarium pumps out huge images in about 15 seconds flat)  and fill up all this virtual space but unless you guys find more money and more online storage space the continued growth and popularity of this site is only going to lead to even greater space problems in the future.. I guess the image limitation runs into difficulty when someone is using images to describe a process or similar but there must be a simple way around that..
zonepatcher
Conqueror

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »

what is da rush ??...why is it so Necessary to post more den 3 images a day ??..what's so important dat it can't wait a day or two huh?...so many other site are available ??...what is so compellin ??....I'm grateful ta be a member of a forum dat has da worlds most knowable coders n fractal artist...so much info contained here!!....most valuable resource fer fractals...RIGHT??
  Thanks ta all who makes dis all possible...yer efforts are so appreciated !!!****  YEA FRACTAL FORUM
 shocked
maybe a new topic for compulsive obsessive display disorder..hee grin
laser blaster
Iterator

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2013, 07:20:45 PM »

Just to be clear, the 3-picture limit doesn't apply to the images showcase forum, just the gallery, right? I didn't even notice the gallery existed until just now. Am I right to assume that the gallery is for posting your best works, and quickie pictures should go in the showcase forum?
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2013, 09:55:46 PM »

Just to be clear, the 3-picture limit doesn't apply to the images showcase forum, just the gallery, right? I didn't even notice the gallery existed until just now. Am I right to assume that the gallery is for posting your best works, and quickie pictures should go in the showcase forum?

That is sort of correct.  Quality is irrelevant though.  The Images Showcase is actually a mirror for most sections of the gallery, but images can be posted there directly too.  If posting images in the forum directly, it's best to use an external image host.  The only limit on externally hosted images is that of common sense and courtesy.  You don't want to go posting a dozen images back to back just because it dominates our recent posts page and is rude.  And you don't want to use the forum itself to host images as attachments because of the size limitations  (attachments are limited to small size and are meant to be used only for low resolution examples to accompany a discussion or perhaps for parameter files and the like).

Hope that clarifies things.

Thanks for asking and I look forward to seeing your stuff   afro
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:58:32 PM by Sockratease » Logged

laser blaster
Iterator

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2013, 11:39:54 PM »

Ah, so if I post in the gallery, it will automatically go into the forum as well? Cool.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2013, 11:53:46 PM »

Ah, so if I post in the gallery, it will automatically go into the forum as well? Cool.

In most sections, yes.

I believe the exceptions are user galleries and a few of the ones that we never noticed don't mirror   embarrass

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2013, 05:58:42 PM »

oops  undecided as a nube I have to apologize, I didn't realize this was such an issue, I posted a few images immediately without realizing 4 images at once might be considered a flood or that I may bump someone elses pic before they've had any exposure, I also didn't quite get how the catagories work, I thought they would be in my gallery but now I see that none of the images I posted are in my gallery, again, oops.

If the admin/moderator had the ability - it would be nice if they could allow one per day to a general category and perhaps 4 or 5 to a personal gallery or maybe cue them so they don't all come online at once, a round robin affair or delay pending review? Anyways, I feel a bit silly for breaking what is a now an obvious rule, I do hope that the images I did post are worthy. If you must delete them then so be it, no hard feelings.

Maybe the initial posting of all images should be in users personal galleries only, then categorized from there A Beer Cup

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: