Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 27, 2024, 02:20:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: filters for antialiasing animations  (Read 1111 times)
jakehughes
« on: February 06, 2008, 07:43:10 AM »

undecided  I'm a newbie, and have been experimenting with methods to get rid of the crawlies in animations.  what filters or rendering software is best for fractals?  I've been doing alot of reading about animation and have worked with a few programs, but the quality issue persists -- both on the computer screen and on the tv when I copy to dvd.  reading posts on this forum helps, yes, can someone point me in the right direction?
thanks,
jq
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 11:38:40 AM »

there are a number of solutions, depending on who you ask; some regard antialiasing as merely "blurring", so a simplistic solution in that case would be to whack your monitor or tv until its display is no longer sharp, or to take off your corrective glasses wink alternatively, you could improve the signal by employing supersampling; this can be as simple as rendering the image to a multiple of the final resolution in each dimension, and then doing a high quality downsample using another program.

photoshop (expensive) and irfanview (free) do a good job for still images, and for animations you can use the fantastic (and free) virtualdub to perform the high quality resize, along with several other filters in a highly customisable filter chain. it's really simple, and you can also compress the video using a high quality codec like xvid or x264 (which is the current state of the art).

hope this helps.

jakehughes
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 08:22:57 AM »

lycium, thanks for your reply -- I do appreciate it. 
I have been using virtualdub and have used various filters but did not see that one!
Now it's onto the next dimension of problems  grin
 smiley

shocked  Now I see it!   :smiley
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 06:08:15 AM by jakehughes » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: