Logo by Timeroot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 09:44:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: experimenting with mandelbrot set and neural network  (Read 2730 times)
ker2x
Fractal Molossus

« on: November 15, 2010, 11:36:28 PM »

i tried to program a neural network that try to guess if a complex point is in the mandelbrot set.
The result is... well... bad. (and it's one of my best result)  sad
Anyone tried ? anyone know about NN ?

often times... there are other approaches which are kinda crappy until you put them in the context of parallel machines
(en) http://www.blog-gpgpu.com/ , (fr) http://www.keru.org/ ,
Sysadmin & DBA @ http://www.over-blog.com/
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:10:22 AM »

lol, funny application, just keep it running wink

how many neurons do u use for that ?
i think that a basic set up cannot lead to impressive results, but the overall shape is visible, so the system may has learned something,
it will always be kinda "unsharp", if the method would be fast enough for a point to decide it is inside/outside, and any of those 2 can give
valid results, the other variant can be calculated, perhaps you should train your nn for detecting points that are OUTSIDE ?

regards

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 12:19:34 AM »

A rough shape should work, of course a chaotic function that gives different results for very near points needs to much information storage.
You need a good way to feed the network, maybe not just x and y, but a precomputed value... hmm like 10 iterations of the formula  wink

I already thought of a neural network as configurable formula for one iteration... so you could varify the weights and choose yourself if its getting better to find some interesting stuff...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: