Logo by Maya - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 08:02:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 3D Mandelbrot and Julia sets with waves  (Read 6287 times)
Description: Some 3D fractal images with an added sine wave effect
Duncan C
Fractal Fanatic

« on: October 12, 2010, 01:08:37 AM »

I recently added a new feature to my fractal renderer, FractalWorks:

You can apply a sine wave to the height values of pixels. The sine wave is calculated as a function of the fractional iteration value, and scaled to apply a fairly subtle wave pattern. You can very the period and amplitude. I also wrote the feature so you can attenuate the wave effect for the highest iteration pixels in a plot, since they tend to be so chaotic that it just ends up looking like noise.

Here are some sample images using the effect:

"Nautalis spiral"

http://www.pbase.com/duncanc/image/129332793

"Seussian fractal"

If you happen to have a pair of red/cyan 3D glasses, here is an anaglyph version of the "Seussian fractal"

"Seussian fractal angalyph"

Click on any of the above to see a larger version along with plot details.

Regards,

Duncan

Regards,

Duncan C
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 12:16:04 AM »

I particularly like that first image  surfing

Is this feature in the latest build available for download?

I am not sure if my version is the most current or not!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
kon16ov
Conqueror

warep kon16ov
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 01:44:13 AM »

VERY nice.  I, too, really like the first image.  I especially like the velvety texture; kind of craving cream cheese, now.  Though -- and this may just be the heavy dose of comtrex I just took -- I didn't seem to need the glasses for the last one.  It's pretty slick, as well!

Phil
Duncan C
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 02:47:10 AM »

I particularly like that first image  surfing

Is this feature in the latest build available for download?

I am not sure if my version is the most current or not!

Sockratease,

This new version, 0.6.4, was released earlier this month. The old version (0.6.3) will refuse to launch, stating that it's expired.

The waves feature is new with 0.6.4. It's in the 3D view window, in the "move mode" group of controls.

Regards,

Duncan C
Rathinagiri
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 04:52:26 AM »

Great and nice. smiley
The Rev
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 05:34:12 AM »

Sweet. cheesy

The Rev
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 09:38:04 AM »

Yes the first image reminds me of a yin yang design i have seen on a jewelry box, and is the basis for the optical illusion of spiral motion in perfectly concentric circles!

What interests is the viscous liquid flow patterns, and maybe this may model this behaviour adequately enough to provide realistic patterns in fluid dynamic flow modelling.

The next extension is to use e^{i\theta} i think.

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
Rathinagiri
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 10:00:27 AM »

Is there any windows version?
Duncan C
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 03:01:58 AM »

Is there any windows version?

Sorry, no. The way the app is written is deeply intertwined with Apple's Mac OS, and it would require a complete rewrite to make it available for windows.

Worse, it is written in a language, Objective C, which isn't normally available under Windows. It's possible that I could use an open source version of the underlying application frameworks, called GNUStep, to port the app to Windows without a full rewrite. That's about the only way I could see that happening, but unfortunately I don't have much time to dedicate to such a task.

Duncan

Regards,

Duncan C
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 11:05:28 AM »

This topic got hijacked and went way off the subject!

I split off the other discussion into it's own topic so as not to distract from what should be discussed in this thread, while still keeping the other discussion alive  afro

The discussion has been moved to Fractal Software:  General Software Discussion.

http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=4366.0
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 11:08:23 AM by Sockratease » Logged

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: