Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 01:04:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: A Mandelbox distance estimate formula  (Read 79519 times)
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 09:27:44 PM »

Thank you for these valuable informations smiley

I'm using knighty's formula
Acutally it's Buddhi's formula.smiley I've just modified it a little bit. I think it can be improved further.
BTW! the statment:
distance = (sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z)-abs(scale-1))/abs(DEfactor) - abs(scale)^(1-i);
is over complicated. Now i do instead:
distance = (sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z)-BVR)/abs(DEfactor)
BVR is the radius of the bounding volume of the fractal.

It's possible to use max(max(abs(x),abs(y)),abs(z)) as the norm instead of sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z). This is not an optimization, just another way to do it.
In case you are interrested, it's also possible to keep the size of the (positive scale) mandelbox constant.link.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:40:05 PM by knighty » Logged
Teraflop
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 05:53:40 PM »

Hm, nice... this "-BVR" makes a subtle but still visible improvement. Overall, I discovered, that sometimes you can multiply the distance estimation by some number above 1 and it will still work (typically somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5), but in some unusual cases, numbers below 1 are required.
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 02:38:02 PM »

Overall, I discovered, that sometimes you can multiply the distance estimation by some number above 1 and it will still work (typically somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5), but in some unusual cases, numbers below 1 are required.
I guess that happens with positive scale Mandelboxes. I've finally found a tweek to "improve" their DE estimate:
Replace:
Code:
DEfactor = DEfactor * abs(scale) + 1.0;
by
Code:
DEfactor = -DEfactor * scale + 1.0;

This way, it's not necessary (AFAIK) to scale down the DE for negative scales. Unfortunately, this is not true with positive scales. There are areas where it's necessary to downscale the DE by a factor down to 0.45 or so... Something is still missing. sad
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: