Logo by AGUS - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 07:58:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Dr. Strange  (Read 5876 times)
Description: mandelbulb
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« on: November 28, 2016, 05:25:46 AM »

some interesting "effects" in Dr. Strange
https://www.fxguide.com/featured/dr-stranges-magical-mystery-tour-in-time/

Quote from:
Doctor Strange’s Magical Mystery Tour in time
By Mike Seymour
November 14, 2016
Doug Bloom points out that in addition to the stylistic reference to fractals, in the MMT sequence the team used actual "pure mathematical fractal geometry" which they baked down into volumetric representations which then moved through the traditional Method pipeline. They also used some fractal mathematics to place geometry, and then the team "manipulated that geometry by hand - so we broke the equation, but it still had the feel of a fractal" explains Bloom. Olivier Dumont adds that with the actual fractals the artists do not have much flexibility to manipulate the fractals "so you are better of to bake it out, and place it the way you want... that is the hard part with fractals they are not really controllable".

They reference and used Mandelbrot equations, Mandelbulbs, full volumetric fractal surfaces and volumes "and we found what we could do reliably to control speed and frequency during our R&D period, and then it was a game of offsetting the animation until we got something that sat in the shot properly "explains Bloom.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:53:32 AM by 3dickulus, Reason: quote » Logged

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 12:47:05 PM »

Cool!
Seems like they were digging here for ideas.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 10:26:17 PM »

Fractals?

Nope.

Don't see any.

That is a 100% Real video taken of The Astral Plane for the movie!!

The guy in the interview is just calling it fractals to cover up the Inter-Dimensional Technology they developed for the new Marvel Movies.  None of them have any special effects or computer generated imagery at all.  It's all real  blindfold

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 02:30:43 AM »

@knighty I wouldn't be surprised if they used pieces of code from FF

@Sockratease their cover story seems to be working though wink
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 04:08:10 AM by 3dickulus, Reason: reply » Logged

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 12:25:13 PM »

nice, the mandelbulb formula is from here, without this forums they wouldnt have anything to render cheesy

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 10:57:25 AM »

Awesome  A Beer Cup  cheesy
so Mandelbulb and Mandelbox in Dr Strange: https://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/bonus-luma-pictures-new-tools-for-doctor-strange/
Mandelbox and distorted Mandelbulb in Suicide Squad: https://www.fxguide.com/featured/suicide-squad-vortical-flows-and-fractal-machines/
Hybrids in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, Mandelbulb in Big Hero 6...

whatever next?
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 11:27:46 PM »

Ha...  I just watched it and realized that it used a bunch of code we already have for portions of the mirror world scenes (angular duplication in the movie might be a bit more complex than simple polyfolds in specific sectors- I want to get my old computer up and running so I can write some code!). 

The accordion (box tiling+) functions I wrote a while back (June-July last year) can be used to create mirror world like movements- didn't do it myself (used them for different things) but they can be used to do mirror world like things for animations (better than boxtiling). 

http://www.fractalforums.com/mandelbulb-3d/continuous-boxtiling-function-(accordionpluscycleshift)/msg98180/#msg98180

I watched the movie to see the fractal artwork I had read was used... didn't really see a lot of "true" fractal stuff (I recall some buildings that looked like Menger mods), but a lot of mathematical duplication techniques in the mirror world scenes caught my eye. 

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 06:57:45 AM »

Strange as it may seem, fractal structures and patterning and dynamics are the normal experience of our lives. To create a strikingly visual 3d world from fractal techniques is what has advanced due to the work of this and other fractal communities.
In the wider entertainments industry fractals are extremely valued and important in distinguishing scene, set and environment design, but also now spaciometric dynamics.

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 07:45:20 PM »

A couple months back, while at a MatterHackers party (MH is a place that sells 3d printing stuff here in Lake Forest, CA), I started up a conversation with some dude.

The conversation led to what my interests were, related to 3d printing, so I mentioned in addition to my fundamental interest in pragmatic engineering applications, one of my interests is mathematically generated artwork.

I mentioned that I had just seen Dr. Strange, and that the mirror world scenes (I don't think I called them that) looked like they used mathematical algorithms that I had posted here.  The guy said "I did the VFX in Dr. Strange.  Here is my card."

Here I was spouting off my idea that I had come up with and publicly released the mathematical algorithms used in the movie before the movie was released to Miguel Guerrero (or at least someone with a MAGVFX business card... mehhh).  Ok, so maybe I was bullshitted by someone who knew that fractals would come up in conversation at a 3d printing party.  Anyway.... 

I wonder if they believed me that I was me??

hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 06:58:27 PM »

There are probably legal and financial reasons that make it impossible for anyone in the film biz to believe that an outsider could have a valuable idea. Except perhaps for the jury that hands out the technical Oscars. smiley
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 09:29:20 PM »

The guy said "I did the VFX in Dr. Strange.  Here is my card."
You should call him and find out his position in the hierarchy, if he's up there, then send him links to your demos and a resume wink

We believe you cheesy but being a math thing it's not impossible that someone else with skills equal to your own could have come up with the same thing huh?

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 10:06:39 PM »

The math code isn't complicated.  I'm pretty sure they thought "hah, another person who thinks they invented the wheel."

Meh... anyways.  cheesy

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 04:51:56 PM »

I don't see what the fuzz is about.
if all he said is that he created the vfx of dr. strange, and he actually worked on this with a team, is that wrong?
I mean, of course the tools were invented by other people, but he didn't claim to have come up with the formulas, just doing those vfx.

I'm proud anyway about what some individuals here have come up with or developed and shared with the world through this forum!

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: