Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 01:38:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Multiprecision computations on the GPU for deeper Mandelbulb exploration  (Read 13757 times)
cortexman
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:25:42 AM »

The future of exploring the Mandelbulb definitely involves multiprecision (otherwise known as arbitrary precision) computation on the gpu so that one can more quickly achieve zooms of a given depth than on their cpu. I have spent a lot of time trying to find the state of the art in multiprecision computation using the GPU since no current Mandelbulb viewer supports it. Makin's Ultra Fractal 5 formula supports it on the cpu, but it becomes much slower as a function of precision and can't yet be parallelized across multiple cpus.

The state of the art on this topic, published in great detail just this January, can be found in several articles on Eric Bainville's website that include detailed descriptions, code and benchmarks which demonstrate the superiority of the gpu. Eric also has a 128 bit precision gpu implementation of a Mandelbrot viewer, available here.

I believe we can fully expect multiprecision arithmetic libraries on the gpu in the near future because of its need in the sciences, particularly molecular biology and not to mention the science of fractals wink As an example, the MPIR project, which is a fork of a recent version of the GMP multiprecision library, has parallel implementation and GPU support as a primary goal. Unfortunately they have not yet produced more than proof of concepts. Nonetheless I plan to keep a keen eye on their progress.

I'm not sure what the minimal subset of GPU optimized functions that we need is. It seems like we might be able to get away with addition and multiplication by using as many trig identities as possible, but I'm not sure. If that is the case, perhaps we can already optimize an existing GPU renderer (for example, the DirectX 11 version), so that it supports zooms of arbitrary depths.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:17:24 PM »

Makin's Ultra Fractal 5 formula supports it on the cpu, but it becomes much slower as a function of precision and can't yet be parallelized across multiple cpus.

UF does support distributed rendering, so maybe not multi-CPU, but surely multi-machines. (I am not not sure if it still supports that when arbitrary precision is necessary)

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 07:32:58 PM »

cool, exactly what i was looking for

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:31:32 PM »

Old topic, but I was searching around google for similar info.

A slight update.  ChaosPro is distributed across multiple cores (not sure about multiple CPUs).  The new UF may be <distributed across multiple cores> as well???

Also, the new GPUs now seem to include double precision (see page 5 of this white paper) native in the hardware- but I could be reading marketing gimmicks?

panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:19:25 PM »

This seems to be an arbitary precision library for CUDA, for linux c++.
I don't even see the build option in Vcc express so somone with Linux c++ would have to check it out.

http://code.google.com/p/gpuprec/
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 12:00:24 AM »

I'm sure it could be ported...  cheesy 

Nice find. 

cortexman
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 12:26:07 AM »

Nice find! I will keep this in mind the next time I have some free time...perhaps over the summer.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: