Logo by Dinkydau - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 09:11:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Histogram Coloring Issue  (Read 4078 times)
clonexpert
« on: January 15, 2010, 07:05:50 PM »

Hi, I'm trying to make histogram coloring in my fractal generator, I've studied the descriptions on HDPZ.NET, and read over ievs "Newbie: How to map colors in the Mandelbrot set? " topic like a million times, to understand Duncans procedure, but it's still not working... I didn't rly understand the way he divided the iterations to multiple bands. And the way he updated the new colors.
If I'm using a 800x800 image, and as maximum iteration of 1000, i get the Histogram (the attached file).
I think it's correct how it is, but when i add them together as it should be, and make the percent tables, something isn't okay. The problem is with the numbers, so i think the procedure how it calculates the histogram is correct, and the values are correct)  at the fourth iteration I get the 0,793641115261387 value in the color table (79 percent)
, 5th =  0,181975744889239, 6th = 0,0755547660428449  etc. (that's also in the attached file, at the bottom), and then its dropping below 0,01... So it keeps skipping big parts from the color map... Any idea what's wrong  huh??
Thx for the help!!!  tongue stuck out

* lajos2.txt (28.72 KB - downloaded 186 times.)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 08:30:12 PM »

hmm, i do think that this distribution is what to expect, where do you store your FULL iteration values ?
those should be ~halve of the image when using it on the standard mandelbrot

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
clonexpert
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 11:00:55 PM »

Thanks for the answer!
 Full iteration values?  you mean iteration value for every single pixel? if yes, then see the attached file.
So, we both think the distribution is ok, then what am I missing? huh?
I have a gradient editor what saves the gradient in a bmp file, it's length is 1000 pixels. So for every iteration I get the u  as  Histogram / number_ofpixels_outside_of_the_mandelbrot_set  * 1000, and this should give a value from 0 to 1000, and then it gets the color from the bmp, based on this. This works, however as I said in my first post, it simply skips the 99% of the color-range... =[

* iterperpixel.txt (1926.45 KB - downloaded 168 times.)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 11:53:29 PM »

so, it has a logarithmic behaviour, you can smooth it out, or linearize it by taking the log ( or inverse ) of your calculated values, because
it is very likely that you hit the lower iterations very often, and some of the higher pop up on a low "chaoutical" base, because sometimes
you hit a deeper one, but only one time, and thus it gets a low histogram value

can you post the link to the histogram tutorial ?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
clonexpert
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 10:31:35 AM »

http://www.fractalforums.com/programming/newbie-how-to-map-colors-in-the-mandelbrot-set/ this is ievs post about the same topic, however I had hard time understanding Duncan Cs explanations at some critical parts.

http://www.hpdz.net/TechInfo_Colorizing.htm This is a pretty good tutorial with diagrams and formulas, showing different techniques, why the easier ones not good enough, but I think it should be more detailed at the Histogram and Rank-order mapping. Also I'm not sure how to use the Fractional Counts (see bottom of that page), what values should I give to F and W?

If I take the log of that u, Im getting a bunch of negative numbers. I know, I know, I'm a real noob  sad, but I dont know how to interpret them.
Thanks for your patience  Azn

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 01:08:03 PM by clonexpert » Logged
clonexpert
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 11:06:21 AM »

It just doesnt help to smooth it out, cos no matter how I manipulate those numbers, the difference will be way too big between those iterations. I know I'm missing some critical part, there must be a trick to use that histogram, but i dont know what that is  cry
clonexpert
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 09:13:51 PM »

can any1 help me pls  huh?
Duncan C
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 02:21:42 AM »

can any1 help me pls  huh?

I haven't checked this part of the forum in quite a while, so I just found your post. I'll take a stab at a better explanation over the next couple of days.

Duncan

Regards,

Duncan C
clonexpert
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 05:29:54 PM »

Hello Duncan,

Thanks a lot for your support! I've already made up a solution myself, and sent my project to the competition's site, and theoretically today is going to be announced who are going to the finals. If you would like to see what have I done, I'd love to show it; and I may put up some questions if your time permits. If you have any messenger, it would be much easier to talk there.
  I'm waiting for your answer! have a nice day!

Tamás
Duncan C
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 04:29:28 AM »

Hello Duncan,

Thanks a lot for your support! I've already made up a solution myself, and sent my project to the competition's site, and theoretically today is going to be announced who are going to the finals. If you would like to see what have I done, I'd love to show it; and I may put up some questions if your time permits. If you have any messenger, it would be much easier to talk there.
  I'm waiting for your answer! have a nice day!

Tamás

Tamás,

I enjoyed chatting with you. Why don't you post the link to your video. I bet the other members of the forum would enjoy seeing it.

Can you tell the group a little more about the contest you entered? I didn't get the specifics, and I'm sure the rest of the group would be interested in hearing about it.

Reagards,

Duncan C

Regards,

Duncan C
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: