Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 06:13:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Is it possible in anyway to upload image via url?  (Read 3446 times)
Pangaea
Navigator

« on: June 08, 2016, 06:14:25 PM »

Hi there folks

My upload is so horrifically poor that i "think" the forum is timing out before my image has a chance to upload. I am trying to upload a nice high res image (keeping it under forum size and file size max), , it seems to upload for about 5 mins, then the page just seems too refresh to a white/blank page.  
My upload ratio is extremely terrible, and I was wondering if there was any possible way to make the forum upload an image from url where I can upload my image to my ftp without it timing-out mid upload

OR

Is there a way to embed the image onto the page (so its counted as a gallery image) but have it read from my own server?

OR

Is it ok I give my logins to a trusted friend who has proper internet connection so he can download the image from my server then onto the forum?
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 07:22:49 PM »

It is possible to use a the image tag.

Code:
[img]http://image URL[/img]

Right-click the image and then click ''copy image link'' or something like that and then paste it like shown above (the image tag can also be found on the upper-left side above the description box.). This can't be used for the gallery though but you can try to upload a low resolution version as thumbnail and the have the link with the tag in the description.

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Pangaea
Navigator

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:34:18 PM »

thanks redshiftrider

I shall post a smaller version then try to embed the 10,000 px on in the description,,, if its a case that the image pushes the forum tables out to crazy sizes then, ill just write the link to it.
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 09:11:45 PM »

thanks redshiftrider

I shall post a smaller version then try to embed the 10,000 px on in the description,,, if its a case that the image pushes the forum tables out to crazy sizes then, ill just write the link to it.
Now that I think about it, I don't know what embedding large images would do to the page itself. Posting a link is also good.

Alternatively you can try websites like gigapan. It is a free site you can upload massive images to and then share a link to that page, things with bandwith are much better as the image is sliced into small bits when being uploaded and viewed.
Here is one I posted a while ago as an example:
http://www.fractalforums.com/kalles-fraktaler-gallery/dunes-(39600x6400)/

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Pangaea
Navigator

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 09:44:59 PM »

hi there,  yes indeed posting that 10000pix did push the tables out, was pretty ugly and the scroll bars where not very prominent so I just went with a link.

Ah wasn't aware of gigapan, I shall certainly check it out.

Im not sure if this forum is phpbb? There are bbcodes available to wrap url image links that are massive and they will display on the forum page in a size that is specified on the admin side of the bbcode itself. Many of these also make the image wrap a hotlinkable image so the when the user clicks on it will load into a new tab/full page view. Just a note tho, it dose not act like a thumbnail image size on the page so even if its small embed size on the forum page the image will still take as long to load on that page as if it where the full res image , if your with me.

Anyway might be worth checking out, could be useful for this forum in particular.

Thanks for taking the time out to assist too btw smiley
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 10:07:05 PM »

hi there,  yes indeed posting that 10000pix did push the tables out, was pretty ugly and the scroll bars where not very prominent so I just went with a link.

Ah wasn't aware of gigapan, I shall certainly check it out.

Im not sure if this forum is phpbb? There are bbcodes available to wrap url image links that are massive and they will display on the forum page in a size that is specified on the admin side of the bbcode itself. Many of these also make the image wrap a hotlinkable image so the when the user clicks on it will load into a new tab/full page view. Just a note tho, it dose not act like a thumbnail image size on the page so even if its small embed size on the forum page the image will still take as long to load on that page as if it where the full res image , if your with me.

Anyway might be worth checking out, could be useful for this forum in particular.

Thanks for taking the time out to assist too btw smiley
Yes this is a phpbb forum.

I guess that is similar to this:
http://www.fractalforums.com/board-rules/resize-images-in-posts-bbcode/
It is possible to resize images but the filesize that has to be loaded is indeed the same.

I'm glad to help in any way I can. wink
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:20:19 PM by TheRedshiftRider » Logged

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 11:39:07 PM »

all right what was said, posting large images nowadays can be used by linking various large scale image hoster which provide viewers of any kind, i cant just not name one at the moment, hosting and uploading of ridiculously oversized images will not be the goal of this page, so linking using standard bbcode is always the way to go here, resizing and linking with images up to 10kx10k pixels  might be in the range of its ok, for anything larger you need to provide a viewer link

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: