Logo by mclarekin - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 05:42:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Are fractals real or is it a part of how our minds work?  (Read 14896 times)
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« on: June 06, 2016, 09:41:09 AM »

I've been thinking about this but I can't figure it out. huh?
Do fractals actually exist or is it just our mind's abillity to recognise patterns which makes us think that?

There has for example been some proof why we find them in nature but the the main reason behind it has not. Are the fractals in nature actually found there because they are useful? Or is it because we automatically see patterns that might not even be there?

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 10:57:56 AM »

This is a question to which we will never be able to give a definitive answer.  At least not until we can reach a universally agreed upon definition of "fractal."

So until then, my answer is a resounding No!

Fractals, in my view, are a mathematical construct with no real world corollary.  We see examples of nature using Fractal Geometry, iterative processes, and strange attractors - but I believe all of reality is Finite and so long as the definition of Fractal involves anything infinite, the answer will always be no.

If we loosen the definitions, we allow things in which many people say are not fractal  (and I am amused by how these are often the same people who say The Universe is a Fractal!)  (If The Universe is a Fractal, then there is NOTHING that is not a Fractal and this discussion is pointless). 

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 11:19:30 AM »

everything we do is a simplification of reality, fractals are a finer definition of what we see in our world, and hence the world is - in my point of view - fractal yes

the branching structure of a tree is something we observe, reality in general is far more complex than any of our abstractations, although fractals seem to be unbounded due to the infinity of their mathematical nature, fractals are no more and no less of a tool to describe what we see

as mandelbrot pointed out, the world is not made of pyramids, cubes or spheres, these euclidean objects are a too hars simplification of reality, and fractals help in describing our nature in a more close way

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 11:24:51 AM »

I kind of forgot that fractals are ideal shapes compared to real things. But then why do we connect these imperfect shapes?

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 12:05:39 PM »

I kind of forgot that fractals are ideal shapes compared to real things. But then why do we connect these imperfect shapes?

We're both Chemists, so if I ask you to consider The Ideal Gas Law, you know that it so very closely approximates real world situations that it is used very effectively to describe reality and make predictions.

But we know that it is merely a very close approximation.

Ideal situations simply do not exist in reality.

The True Nature of Reality, I suspect, will prove to be far more complex than anything we have proposed so far in our Philosophy.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 12:07:13 PM »

...as mandelbrot pointed out, the world is not made of pyramids, cubes or spheres, these euclidean objects are a too hars simplification of reality, and fractals help in describing our nature in a more close way

More close, yes.

But still not there yet   bubble gum

TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 12:43:59 PM »

We're both Chemists, so if I ask you to consider The Ideal Gas Law, you know that it so very closely approximates real world situations that it is used very effectively to describe reality and make predictions.

But we know that it is merely a very close approximation.

Ideal situations simply do not exist in reality.

The True Nature of Reality, I suspect, will prove to be far more complex than anything we have proposed so far in our Philosophy.
Yes, thats true. So in that case we use fractals to understand nature and other things. (I hope I don't sound like a non-fractalist but I haven't thought about it this way.) But finite and infinite are also just concepts even if they are assumptions. How do we come up with these things?

Edit: I hope this makes sense, I'm currently still confused about how I thought things were different. confused And I think I am confusing myself a bit more than anyone else. Ill rate some images and Ill come back once I can think again.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:16:40 PM by TheRedshiftRider » Logged

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 01:45:31 PM »

from where does come the infity, infinity is present in nature, e.g. the size of our universe is considered to be infinite

mathematically it is a theoretical construct that is rather observed than constructed, e.g. the + (addition) has no limit, whenever you add one to something it gets bigger, and for that you can add another one, you see it occurs by the way we try to grasp our surroundings and just simple things as adding incur strange stuff like infinity in the simplest operation

so, as sock statet nature is far more complex than our fractal view to it, fractals are an improvement over euclidean (triangles...) worldview but surely not sufficient wink

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »

Well, I'd say it's both, real and how our minds work.

Fractals are an emergent phenomenon of recursive processes - mathematical but also physical processes.
The result of such a process is either always the same (as in zero or a fixed value or going to infinity), self identical (as in the koch snowflake) or quasi self similar, as in the mandelbrot set, with it's evolving forms.
let's use that as a (crude)model for reality:
always the same: black holes and infinity of space as the 2 extremes.
self identical: suns and planets, 'lifeless' matter that repeats the same thing over and over, unless an external force 'changes the formula'
self similar, evolving: life

It doesn't matter if fractals in nature are imperfect. Actually I wouldn't say they are - they just are distorted through external influences (which I would call multifractal)
Take the good old tree. It might grow approximately perfect under perfect conditions. But those conditions don''t exist. Weather and wind (fractals again) influence it's growth and make it gnarled and distorted form the ideal form. This applies to all fractals in nature and is the reason why  many are hard to recognize on the first glance.

then your second part - are fractals part of how our mind works:
yes they are, at a very fundamental level (hierarchical buildup of the brainstructure and the connections) as well as the way we actually think:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-chaotic-life/200909/fractal-brains-fractal-thoughts

Are the fractals in nature actually found there because they are useful?
yes. fractals are the optimal way to 'store' as much information and create the most complexity with the least amount of effort or 'storage capacity'. nature always tries to use the most efficient way possible, so it ends up with fractals. I had a good scientific paper about this but can't find the link right now.. roll eyes

btw, in case you didn't know, our ability(or fault) to see patterns where no patterns are is called Parodeilia - which indeed pobably often happens when actively looking for fractals, I've had this quite often I guess.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:59:56 PM by Chillheimer » Logged

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 02:15:51 PM »

haha, sock our eternal 'fight' deserves it's own post.. wink

.... but I believe all of reality is Finite and so long as the definition of Fractal involves anything infinite, the answer will always be no.
In my opinion this is the heart of the annoying problems any such discussion faces.
Would you mind showing me this definition that explicitely says a fractal is only a fractal if it is infinite?
Because usually (as in the wikipedia definition) the term that is used is "fractals show self similarity on all scales". But that is NOT the same as infinity!

I wonder, do you have the same bias against euclidean geometry?
I mean, if you look at a soccer ball or a planet and someone says, hey that is a sphere, do you say: nope, you're wrong, it's not! because in nature there are no perfect spheres? actually it's surface is rough if you zoom in close enough. which would make the surface fractal. at least for a (elliptical roll eyes)sphere like our planet.

if a sphere like the earth is neither fractal nor a perfect euclidean sphere - what is it in your opinion and how do you suggest we talk about anything in our reality at all, if no way of perception is 100% true ever?!

also, please take into account, that even a mathematical fractal is only infinite in reality, if you keep calculating infinitely long.
the same is true for a fractal universe, in which recursion could be described as time passing. so we are currently at iteration 10^12436. and it looks finite - but not if time keeps ticking and iteration count goes up.
what you do is the same as looking at a rendered image of the mandelbrot set and then say "it's not a fractal, because it doesn't go on forever, see, theres only 1920*1080 pixels of it, so NOT infinite!)

If we loosen the definitions, we allow things in which many people say are not fractal  (and I am amused by how these are often the same people who say The Universe is a Fractal!)  (If The Universe is a Fractal, then there is NOTHING that is not a Fractal and this discussion is pointless).  
First of all - as long as there is no agreement that the universe is a fractal, such a discussion is never pointless, at least as long as there is no reasonable explanation for the omnipresence of fractal patterns in nature.
And why would it be pointless to search for other patterns and to find the connections between these patterns and the 'full view'?  you see a deep zoom image of the mandelbrot set and it doesn't look anything like the zoomed out full view of the set. And yet there is the deepest connection.

If you count me to the people who say something is not really a fractal while saying the universe is a fractal, please let me clarify:
some things might not be visibly fractal but still have a fractal nature or be the emergent result of recursion of a basic formula.
fractals can become so rough and chaotic and so distorted that it is impossible do recognize the fractal nature of it. especially if we are talking about multifractals. just combine 6 formulas in mandelbulb3d and if you'Re lucky you get at least some noise that you would never recognize as fractal.
just because we don't have the means to recognize something as fractal doesn't mean it isn't.
I know this is a dead end in science and just as bad as explaining the existence of god with god being powerful enough to create himself.
but then again, I'm just some guy on the internets and if I had the perfect answer and proof for all this we wouldn't have this conversation.
But at least I'm trying to find answers that are in my reach.

Also: If the universe is a fractal, it is clearly not a "simple" fractal like the koch curve or the mandelbrot set. And it has different levels of complexity on countless but limited scales (like the m-set is limited to -2 and +1).
In the mset you have shapestacking that gives rise to new complexity, while the basic information that lead <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ojhgwq6t28Y&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/Ojhgwq6t28Y&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>.
EDIT: youtubelinks that are posted using the url= function should not be embedded. do you have an idea how to fix that?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 02:39:37 PM by Chillheimer » Logged

hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 03:01:35 PM »

Would you mind showing me this definition that explicitely says a fractal is only a fractal if it is infinite?
This is not part of the definition because it is a consequence of self similarity.

Consider a tree, with two branches splitting off from the trunk. For the branches to be similar to the whole tree, each branch needs to have two twigs splitting off of it. In order for the twigs to be similar to the whole tree, each needs two ... and so on and so forth, forever. There will be an infinite number of ultimate branch tips ("leaves" if you will).

And there actually must be an infinity of them, because infinity is the one (non-zero) magnitude that fits twice into itself. That's the only way in which one of the two biggest branches can be truly alike the whole tree: one such branch has exactly as many leaves as the whole tree, despite being just half the tree. Infinity delivers on that seemingly impossible constraint.
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 04:14:44 PM »

This is not part of the definition because it is a consequence of self similarity.

Consider a tree, with two branches splitting off from the trunk. For the branches to be similar to the whole tree, each branch needs to have two twigs splitting off of it. In order for the twigs to be similar to the whole tree, each needs two ... and so on and so forth, forever. There will be an infinite number of ultimate branch tips ("leaves" if you will).

And there actually must be an infinity of them, because infinity is the one (non-zero) magnitude that fits twice into itself. That's the only way in which one of the two biggest branches can be truly alike the whole tree: one such branch has exactly as many leaves as the whole tree, despite being just half the tree. Infinity delivers on that seemingly impossible constraint.

well explained, that helped, thank you!

but then again, just as the "inventor" of the actual word "fractal" said:
“Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a straight line.”
he was talking about fractals describing actual nature and reality. not hypothetical infinities.
In his book "the geometry of nature" he talks about these fractal patterns in nature and he calls the actual 'objects' fractals, to him the coastline IS a fractal.
I find by always just fixing only on the theoretical concept of infinity we rob mandelbrots discoveries of their actual, practical use.
"not infinite, so not fractal, so no need to think about using them as a way to explain our reality" (of which they are perfectly capable, much more than euclidean mathematics)
that in my eyes is ignorant. (with absolutely no intention to insult anyone, especially not you hobold!)

sorry, but who are all these mathematicians who think they can re-define what Mandelbrot actually said and explicitely meant by only fixing on a small detail of his definition?

(it might be that I have misinterpreted or remember the details of his book false. but even if that is the case, I still find it worse to look at a tree or romanesco brocoli and say: not infinite, not fractal.
what is it then, if not fractal?? as in my previos post - it's all about the limited resolution of real life objects, as any snapshot of the mandelbrot set is not infinite, it's pixels.)

man, this topic always gets me going..    embarrass

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 04:27:45 PM »

from where does come the infity, infinity is present in nature, e.g. the size of our universe is considered to be infinite

mathematically it is a theoretical construct that is rather observed than constructed, e.g. the + (addition) has no limit, whenever you add one to something it gets bigger, and for that you can add another one, you see it occurs by the way we try to grasp our surroundings and just simple things as adding incur strange stuff like infinity in the simplest operation

so, as sock statet nature is far more complex than our fractal view to it, fractals are an improvement over euclidean (triangles...) worldview but surely not sufficient wink

The magnitude of the universe (finite or infinite) is absoultely undecided!  It is a subject of constant debate amongst cosmologists because it makes all the difference in many of our grander theories.

Whenever infinity is encountered in any explanation of things, it is usually considered a failure of that model.  Black holes almost did in The Standard Model of Physics because many physicists felt that infinitely dense objects cannot exist.  That is still debated hotly to this day! 

...Also: If the universe is a fractal, it is clearly not a "simple" fractal like the koch curve or the mandelbrot set. And it has different levels of complexity on countless but limited scales (like the m-set is limited to -2 and +1).

I'm at work, so will try to be brief - hopefully more details later!  But in short; If the Entire Universe is a fractal, then everything in it is also a fractal.  Therefore, at that point, it becomes meaningless to even ask if any individual part of it is a fractal since it all must be.  By definition.  Specifically to this discussion, if The Universe is a fractal then they must be both real and a part of our thought processes.  No further debate is possible.  Even a straight line becomes a fractal since it is part of a larger fractal.

Consider a parallel question that may help illustrate my point : Is any part of The Mandelbrot Set NOT a fractal?

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 05:25:05 PM »

hehe, until you are home I've written many more pages, I'll drown you with my  canadian  
grin

The magnitude of the universe (finite or infinite) is absoultely undecided!  It is a subject of constant debate amongst cosmologists because it makes all the difference in many of our grander theories.
I just love it how the fractal perspective gives a simple and clean answer to this problem - that includes both views.
if the universe is fractal, then it is infinite, but in a confined space, just as the M-Set is infinite, but it takes place in a confined space of the coordinate system.

If the Entire Universe is a fractal, then everything in it is also a fractal.  Therefore, at that point, it becomes meaningless to even ask if any individual part of it is a fractal since it all must be.
but as long as the scientific majority neglects the possibility that the universe is a fractal, solely based on exactly your argumentation this is the only way to show them this view might be wrong and that it is at least worth to really examine this instead of ignoring it.

man, this feels like the futurama episode about the missing missing missing link to prove evolution.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TTOla3TyfqQ&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/TTOla3TyfqQ&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

and yes, I am well aware of the irony that I use creationism as argument against science trying to disprove a fractal theory that can never be totally disproven (which is essential for science).
and this deeply sucks, but I can't just ignore the obvious fractal nature of reality just because of that.
this situation honestly is very annoying for me, because I like to think of me as a rational, scientific person.
if anyone has a satisfying and logically consistent solution for me, I'd really love to close this chapter once and for all instead of chasing windmills..
It really bothers me.

Consider a parallel question that may help illustrate my point : Is any part of The Mandelbrot Set NOT a fractal?
nope doesn't help.
my answer would be no.
except if we limit the resolution and just take a snapshot, thus making it tangible, visible, coming into what we call reality.

I guess the formula itself is a mathematical concept, not an object.
the result - the picture - is the object.

maybe the universe as a whole is also "just a concept" and not an object.
the actual result, our reality & conscious experience is the object.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 05:38:35 PM by Chillheimer » Logged

TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 05:44:47 PM »

This is a question to which we will never be able to give a definitive answer.  At least not until we can reach a universally agreed upon definition of "fractal."

So until then, my answer is a resounding No!

Fractals, in my view, are a mathematical construct with no real world corollary.  We see examples of nature using Fractal Geometry, iterative processes, and strange attractors - but I believe all of reality is Finite and so long as the definition of Fractal involves anything infinite, the answer will always be no.

If we loosen the definitions, we allow things in which many people say are not fractal  (and I am amused by how these are often the same people who say The Universe is a Fractal!)  (If The Universe is a Fractal, then there is NOTHING that is not a Fractal and this discussion is pointless).  
everything we do is a simplification of reality, fractals are a finer definition of what we see in our world, and hence the world is - in my point of view - fractal yes

the branching structure of a tree is something we observe, reality in general is far more complex than any of our abstractations, although fractals seem to be unbounded due to the infinity of their mathematical nature, fractals are no more and no less of a tool to describe what we see

as mandelbrot pointed out, the world is not made of pyramids, cubes or spheres, these euclidean objects are a too hars simplification of reality, and fractals help in describing our nature in a more close way

Ok, so the definition could be that fractals are a good way to describe things in nature. Simple geometric shapes simply would not be realistic.

Nevermind that. That post has a lack of logic.

Of course, more complexity is needed to get results that come close to nature. Like if something is infinite it doesn't mean it is a fractal.

Well, I'd say it's both, real and how our minds work.

Fractals are an emergent phenomenon of recursive processes - mathematical but also physical processes.
The result of such a process is either always the same (as in zero or a fixed value or going to infinity), self identical (as in the koch snowflake) or quasi self similar, as in the mandelbrot set, with it's evolving forms.
let's use that as a (crude)model for reality:
always the same: black holes and infinity of space as the 2 extremes.
self identical: suns and planets, 'lifeless' matter that repeats the same thing over and over, unless an external force 'changes the formula'
self similar, evolving: life

It doesn't matter if fractals in nature are imperfect. Actually I wouldn't say they are - they just are distorted through external influences (which I would call multifractal)
Take the good old tree. It might grow approximately perfect under perfect conditions. But those conditions don''t exist. Weather and wind (fractals again) influence it's growth and make it gnarled and distorted form the ideal form. This applies to all fractals in nature and is the reason why  many are hard to recognize on the first glance.

then your second part - are fractals part of how our mind works:
yes they are, at a very fundamental level (hierarchical buildup of the brainstructure and the connections) as well as the way we actually think:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-chaotic-life/200909/fractal-brains-fractal-thoughts
yes. fractals are the optimal way to 'store' as much information and create the most complexity with the least amount of effort or 'storage capacity'. nature always tries to use the most efficient way possible, so it ends up with fractals. I had a good scientific paper about this but can't find the link right now.. roll eyes

btw, in case you didn't know, our ability(or fault) to see patterns where no patterns are is called Parodeilia - which indeed pobably often happens when actively looking for fractals, I've had this quite often I guess.
That makes sense. Perfect things can only happen under perfect circumstances. Which results we could use to in general group things that deviate.

I've been looking for Paradeilia but I couldn't find it. Thanks for helping out there. smiley

haha, sock our eternal 'fight' deserves it's own post.. wink
In my opinion this is the heart of the annoying problems any such discussion faces.
Because usually (as in the wikipedia definition) the term that is used is "fractals show self similarity on all scales". But that is NOT the same as infinity!

I wonder, do you have the same bias against euclidean geometry?
I mean, if you look at a soccer ball or a planet and someone says, hey that is a sphere, do you say: nope, you're wrong, it's not! because in nature there are no perfect spheres? actually it's surface is rough if you zoom in close enough. which would make the surface fractal. at least for a (elliptical roll eyes)sphere like our planet.

if a sphere like the earth is neither fractal nor a perfect euclidean sphere - what is it in your opinion and how do you suggest we talk about anything in our reality at all, if no way of perception is 100% true ever?!

also, please take into account, that even a mathematical fractal is only infinite in reality, if you keep calculating infinitely long.
the same is true for a fractal universe, in which recursion could be described as time passing. so we are currently at iteration 10^12436. and it looks finite - but not if time keeps ticking and iteration count goes up.
what you do is the same as looking at a rendered image of the mandelbrot set and then say "it's not a fractal, because it doesn't go on forever, see, theres only 1920*1080 pixels of it, so NOT infinite!)
First of all - as long as there is no agreement that the universe is a fractal, such a discussion is never pointless, at least as long as there is no reasonable explanation for the omnipresence of fractal patterns in nature.
And why would it be pointless to search for other patterns and to find the connections between these patterns and the 'full view'?  you see a deep zoom image of the mandelbrot set and it doesn't look anything like the zoomed out full view of the set. And yet there is the deepest connection.

If you count me to the people who say something is not really a fractal while saying the universe is a fractal, please let me clarify:
some things might not be visibly fractal but still have a fractal nature or be the emergent result of recursion of a basic formula.
fractals can become so rough and chaotic and so distorted that it is impossible do recognize the fractal nature of it. especially if we are talking about multifractals. just combine 6 formulas in mandelbulb3d and if you'Re lucky you get at least some noise that you would never recognize as fractal.
just because we don't have the means to recognize something as fractal doesn't mean it isn't.
I know this is a dead end in science and just as bad as explaining the existence of god with god being powerful enough to create himself.
but then again, I'm just some guy on the internets and if I had the perfect answer and proof for all this we wouldn't have this conversation.
But at least I'm trying to find answers that are in my reach.

Also: If the universe is a fractal, it is clearly not a "simple" fractal like the koch curve or the mandelbrot set. And it has different levels of complexity on countless but limited scales (like the m-set is limited to -2 and +1).
In the mset you have shapestacking that gives rise to new complexity, while the basic information that lead <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ojhgwq6t28Y&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/Ojhgwq6t28Y&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>.
EDIT: youtubelinks that are posted using the url= function should not be embedded. do you have an idea how to fix that?
Yep, fractals≠infinity. Although they are related. I guess the same could be said with all euclidian shapes:
Shapes we find aren't perfect.

About the infinite calculations, I found something related:
http://www.fractalforums.com/new-theories-and-research/we-will-never-know-the-real-answers/
If we wouldn't know we couldn't reach infinity. tongue stuck out

Well, I would say the universe is an ''inaccurate fractal''. It does not have the ideal circumstances to be a fractal but it has fractal properties that  at some point aren't accurate anymore.

The last thing simply is the difference between ''strict'' fractals and quasi-fractals which have more variation (and which are in my opinion closer related to nature)

But isn't infinite selfsimilarity only possible after an infinite amount of steps?

well explained, that helped, thank you!

but then again, just as the "inventor" of the actual word "fractal" said: he was talking about fractals describing actual nature and reality. not hypothetical infinities.
In his book "the geometry of nature" he talks about these fractal patterns in nature and he calls the actual 'objects' fractals, to him the coastline IS a fractal.
I find by always just fixing only on the theoretical concept of infinity we rob mandelbrots discoveries of their actual, practical use.
"not infinite, so not fractal, so no need to think about using them as a way to explain our reality" (of which they are perfectly capable, much more than euclidean mathematics)
that in my eyes is ignorant. (with absolutely no intention to insult anyone, especially not you hobold!)

sorry, but who are all these mathematicians who think they can re-define what Mandelbrot actually said and explicitely meant by only fixing on a small detail of his definition?

(it might be that I have misinterpreted or remember the details of his book false. but even if that is the case, I still find it worse to look at a tree or romanesco brocoli and say: not infinite, not fractal.
what is it then, if not fractal?? as in my previos post - it's all about the limited resolution of real life objects, as any snapshot of the mandelbrot set is not infinite, it's pixels.)

man, this topic always gets me going..    embarrass

But what about simple euclidian shapes that make up a fractal(basic IFS fractals)?

The magnitude of the universe (finite or infinite) is absoultely undecided!  It is a subject of constant debate amongst cosmologists because it makes all the difference in many of our grander theories.

Whenever infinity is encountered in any explanation of things, it is usually considered a failure of that model.  Black holes almost did in The Standard Model of Physics because many physicists felt that infinitely dense objects cannot exist.  That is still debated hotly to this day!  

I'm at work, so will try to be brief - hopefully more details later!  But in short; If the Entire Universe is a fractal, then everything in it is also a fractal.  Therefore, at that point, it becomes meaningless to even ask if any individual part of it is a fractal since it all must be.  By definition.  Specifically to this discussion, if The Universe is a fractal then they must be both real and a part of our thought processes.  No further debate is possible.  Even a straight line becomes a fractal since it is part of a larger fractal.

I agree with Chillheimer although I must say that that is a very good point.

Edit: I hope I do understand thing again and that my answers/questions aren't too silly. tongue stuck out I like how this thread has grown, thanks for participating and I hope we can keep it going.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: