Logo by mrob - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 10:42:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractal Quest  (Read 385 times)
Description: A wild mystery fractal has appeared...
macawscopes
Forums Freshman

« on: February 17, 2016, 10:35:44 AM »

Hey there, long time reader, but this is my first post, a little mystery puzzle adventure Azn

Late one November evening, as the first snow settled, I found myself gazing far off
into distant regions of the abstract, intermeandering mathematical cosmos.

Using the GPU and memory as a makeshift symbolic antenna, I hacked the computer
into some kind of cyber-mathematical signal transducer. Long into the night, I sat
punching symbol upon symbol into this highly experimental scientific instrument.

Sure enough, out of nowhere a mysterious & intriguing signal popped onto the screen.

"It appears to be some sort of fractal!" I reckoned quietly, in a calm, scientific manner.

Was it only a blob?  A glitch in the tensor?  Whatever it was, it looked strangely
familiar...

Deep inside, however, excitement welled as I dove farther, further into the abstract
mathematical space. I knew what this was. It was none other than a fractal
quest.

Well three months have passed since then, and I've learned more math (and
more computer programming) on this journey than I've ever learned in my life.

Can you identify this strange mathematical entity?

<a href="https://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=155587929&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">https://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=155587929&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:29:46 AM by macawscopes, Reason: writing style » Logged
PieMan597
Conqueror

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 01:09:40 PM »

It looks like you've somehow found a "true" 3-D representation of the Mandelbrot set, but it is fuzzy.
macawscopes
Forums Freshman

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 06:23:54 AM »

I'm working on writing a paper.  As much as I'd like to share more here, I think I'd better try and get the paper done and on arxiv.org first.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:20:30 AM by macawscopes » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: