Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 09:05:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: How to make a sphere?  (Read 6498 times)
Weber
Conqueror

Just floating around

« on: January 29, 2016, 03:56:34 AM »

I am wondering if someone can post a formula of a spherical shaped fractal?

I don't want a fractal that has a sphere somewhere inside, but rather the whole fractal is a sphere.  If no one can post the param, could someone at least point me in the right direction as far as where to start?  What formula etc...?
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 05:36:51 AM »

A Julia of the default bulb with parameters (0,0,0) is a sphere, but it's not really that fractal...  

You could use:

Code:
USE 1Bryan1's code below...

To make something similar to the following (made with Fragmentarium... for the extra circular holes):
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 02:34:25 AM by M Benesi » Logged

1Bryan1
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 09:22:44 AM »

A Julia of the default bulb with parameters (0,0,0) is a sphere, but it's not really that fractal... 
When I tried the parameters - formula 1 is blank.
Putting Formula 1 as "_BPolyhedronToSphere" seems to make any additional formula fall into a sphere.

Find 340+ more of my fractal art at http://1bryan1.deviantart.com/gallery/
Weber
Conqueror

Just floating around

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 07:30:13 PM »

Ty both!  And yes by adding "_BPolyhedronToSphere", I was able to create that same image.
1Bryan1
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 10:13:49 PM »

For your info: if you put _Transform and _BPolyhedronToSphere as your first two formula then anything in Formula 3 (Fo 3) onwards AND tick "repeat from here" in Fo 3 - you can rotate, scale and move your spherical artwork within Formula 1.

For example, I have done this for M Benesi's parameter (below).
In the Navigator window - click on "Formula values:" to access the formula parameters and play with the values

Code:
Mandelbulb3Dv18{
g.....S....O/...w....2....U3sPmu.xn..rfXqZNVnF1EnsEfL/9SXzvfQW18m/amzyeFxQzzunxD
................................aNaNaNaNqz1........Y./..................y.2...wD
...Uz6....E2..../M.0/.....En....r/....E3......YwAh0F3cqD/..........m/dkpXm1....U
z.....kD12../2............................................U0.....y1...sD...../..
.z1...sDpMJWVRBRVxXL8xqB4IaKzWPaqn2ebkpDIp3yd8lxLwf3yw6vc3cMzsL0CyMx47qDaBVGFj/G
XxPaSbnvXJJKzKftxw2tFUpDU.....Y5..............sD.6....sD..G.....................
.............oAnAt1...sD....zw1.........................................A....k1.
.....CnAnz1.......kz.wzzz1.U..6.P....U5...EB....m....c3....F....6/...I1.....SF52
...U.qFG9yzb2zzzRYoWzz7lz16.pc..zXCc..kvrEtMc7xD6ocyFE0ujz1..........2.28.kFrA0.
.Ub96aAIVz9.1se7Umvxz0........../EU0.wzzz1...........s/...................E.2c..
zzzz.............0...................2./8.kzzzD............8....................
/EU0.wzzz1...................................2CcN/UvNPcveeWCNq0.yRiibHJJUk1f..XR
SvBmx3CcN/UvNPcvQsLsUa3.ibhVi1bTV1OK.sSq4uCly3CcN/UvNPcvMwLsUa3.ibhVinqTV1OK.sSq
4uCkz3CcN/UvNPcv..EsUa3feeWCNqGQIJ36wk8EwyLsUa3f................................
E....AU6V2E.....I....U....kLI7LMiBbNj7LP..................................E/3IU.
...................wz.......................................kL3k................
..............zD................................................................
.....................2.....3....0....wZEEx4PtVKNY7rPiFpPH/5OZ7LN...KIxqIkVKNmJ4.
............................../E........E.2........wz.........yD................
................................................................................
................................/....E/...k/....BJaPbJaQ7NoI....................
................4MU/....................6.2........wz.........zD........Uz1.....
................................................................................
............................................}
{Titel: main paras~}

Find 340+ more of my fractal art at http://1bryan1.deviantart.com/gallery/
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 01:18:36 AM »

When I tried the parameters - formula 1 is blank.
Putting Formula 1 as "_BPolyhedronToSphere" seems to make any additional formula fall into a sphere.
Thanks Bryan, formula 1 doesn't show up because the formula is called "_BPolyhedronlToSphere" (with an l in it!) on my computer.... probably should change it so this doesn't happen again.

I originally called the formula "PolyhedralToSphere" and when I changed the name I left the l... apparently Andreas or Luca corrected my misspelling... and I didn't. 

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 01:21:49 AM »

Ohh- side note, mclarekin has been working on some of msltoe's old formulas, some of which have lots of spheres... might work for you.  

mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 02:26:15 AM »

I am not quite sure what is needed???

but the base shape of many fractals is a sphere, it is what you add afterwards that brings it away form being a sphere

and with the following code i can inflate a lot of fractals into a sphere

double lengthTempZ = -z.Length();
  if (lengthTempZ > -1e-21) lengthTempZ = -1e-21;   //  z is neg.)
  z *= 1 + fractal->transformCommon.offset / lengthTempZ;
  z *= fractal->transformCommon.scale1;  // scale to control the size increase when using a positive radial offset
  aux.DE = aux.DE * fabs(fractal->transformCommon.scale1) + 1.0; // for analytic linear DE
  aux.r_dz *= fabs(fractal->transformCommon.scale1);
//  for analytic log  DE

* sphere.jpg (101.63 KB, 800x600 - viewed 491 times.)

* MB5 test qdsc1a 3200.jpg (130.91 KB, 600x600 - viewed 786 times.)
Weber
Conqueror

Just floating around

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 05:33:56 PM »

I too can get a basic sphere from a lot of formula combinations, but in this video at 5:20 is what I'm really trying to go for.  It probably wasn't made in M3D but I want to try and get as close as I can to recreating it.
This is my video, but those aren't my fractals.  I simply remixed them by adding music.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yrBXWVfxHoE&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/yrBXWVfxHoE&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>.
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 07:01:04 PM »

The details look like an Amazing Box of some sort.  If you know the name of the original video, you might be able to ask someone the parameters.  

At second glance, I'm thinking you could just do an Amazing Box with a bounding sphere (not sure of the name of a bounding sphere type formula for M3D??).

You want to find a formula like:

if (sqrt(pos.x^2+pos.y^2+pos.z^2) > bounding_sphere_radius) {x=max_bailout+1;}  
or
   DE= sqrt(pos.x^2+pos.y^2+pos.z^2) - bounding_sphere_radius;

with pos being the 3 dimensional "pixel" location vector. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:12:37 PM by M Benesi » Logged

Aexion
Conqueror

The Fractal Hermit

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 02:38:07 AM »

The details look like an Amazing Box of some sort.  If you know the name of the original video, you might be able to ask someone the parameters.  

At second glance, I'm thinking you could just do an Amazing Box with a bounding sphere (not sure of the name of a bounding sphere type formula for M3D??).

or

There's a third possibility:
The spherical version of the box, the one that iterates the radius as an extra dimension..
I think that I already have posted the formula..
Here's an example:

Fractals all the way..
Incendia for 3D Fractals
Aural for Musical Fractals
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 05:58:19 AM »

The spherical version of the box, the one that iterates the radius as an extra dimension..
  Which of the 30 Amazing box formulas is it?  cheesy

Weber
Conqueror

Just floating around

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 05:00:38 PM »

The details look like an Amazing Box of some sort.  If you know the name of the original video, you might be able to ask someone the parameters. 

or

Here's an example:
<Quoted Image Removed>

Well thanks both for your help!  I'll definitely be giving these a try.
Aexion
Conqueror

The Fractal Hermit

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 11:42:41 AM »

Which of the 30 Amazing box formulas is it?  cheesy
30!! That's a  lot of variations to explore!!.. smiley
I just used the original one..

Here's the shader (I coded it in fragmentarium), not very good (I'm a little rusty in shader coding),but it works.
It basically takes the radius as an extra dimension.
Also, I have included the tetrahedron/octahedron one.. Its just the same as the sphere, but using
the dimensions in another way (quadray coordinates)..
If you add the extra dimension for the radius, you will get the sphere, but this time made of triangles.
Hope that helps..

* SphereBox.frag (2.25 KB - downloaded 156 times.)
* TetraBox2.frag (3.33 KB - downloaded 136 times.)

Fractals all the way..
Incendia for 3D Fractals
Aural for Musical Fractals
Weber
Conqueror

Just floating around

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 05:01:49 PM »

So here's what I was able to achieve with the above mentioned formulas with a couple of my own added on.

* smoothsphere.jpg (80.28 KB, 800x392 - viewed 465 times.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: