Logo by DarkBeam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 01:39:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: tom beddard aka subblue current state of web based shaderlab  (Read 2976 times)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« on: May 05, 2015, 04:29:02 PM »

just stumbled over it at facebook, that dude is still working on that ultra crisp web based fractal renderer:
http://sub.blue/fractal-lab
 angel

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
eiffie
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 05:34:19 PM »

Glad to see this - hope he releases the code. Tom's Mandelbulb shader got me started down the fractal rabbit hole. Fun ride!
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 03:27:09 AM »

surprised
from the link http://sub.blue/fractal-lab
I have some project ideas I first want to fully explore using Fractal Lab, after that I'll probably release the code.
Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig
I like the tweening and keyframe controls.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 10:36:16 AM »

and what exactly is he doing with the primitives ?!?!?!

---

KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 12:49:21 PM »

WOW, and those Kleinians!!!!    shockedA Beer CupshockedA Beer CupshockedA Beer Cup

* k1.jpg (102.76 KB, 923x869 - viewed 499 times.)

* k2.jpg (122.45 KB, 946x900 - viewed 468 times.)

subblue
Conqueror

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 02:35:47 PM »

Thanks guys! It's the combined efforts of many people exploring the algorithms within these forums that make this field so much fun smiley The video has had a crazy number of views over the past couple of days so maybe we'll see a few new faces exploring these forums too.

Glad to see this - hope he releases the code. Tom's Mandelbulb shader got me started down the fractal rabbit hole. Fun ride!
smiley It's great to hear that! I still have a few more things I want to achieve with it first, but then I will open-source it. No timescales yet though.

and what exactly is he doing with the primitives ?!?!?!
It's a geometry trap - after each iteration pass the iterating point does a distance estimation to a primitive shape and the minimum distance stored to get the geometric union effect of the structure. Then by being able to rotate and scale the primitive shape you can get a huge variety of new structures from the same base fractal algorithm.

Compared to something like Mandelbulb3D there are only really a handful of different algorithms, but each have been parametrised and augmented with rotation, scaling and additional transformation features that there is still a massive parameter space to explore (as seen with some of the more crazy looking Kleinian structures in the screen captures).

In reply to your personal message ck about the hybrids - I did actually explore that a few years ago with my PixelBender scripts. Both as alternating between two formulas between iterations, and running both in parallel and then blending their distance estimates. However, I found that more manageable results could be found by augmenting the single fractal formula.

An important factor in developing FL was that the user interface had to be very clean and enjoyable to use (I get very frustrated if the UI gets in the way when I'm trying to explore something creatively wink Everything has to be immediately responsive with very accurate control because otherwise many interesting structures could be missed since a 0.001 change on one parameter could be when everything suddenly pops out.

Also at the time the GPUs I had access too would lock up if the shaders became too complex, so I've not implemented the full Hybrid features. Instead I've focused more on trying to build the best rendering engine I can. Even with the fairly standard base fractal types there is still a vast parameter space to explore creatively!

A more dynamic node based render pipeline would certainly be one approach to properly implementing hybrids - the output of which compiles to a single shader and building the UI accordingly. Not something FL can do in its current form just now.

It's all good fun though cheesy

www.subblue.com - a blog exploring mathematical and generative graphics
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 04:27:51 PM »

thank you for the information tom, for sure the user interface is what strikes most because of its responsiveness and the fine-tune capability,
that global illumination renderer is as well a precious thing to have, wooooooooooot, animation feature is what is missing most of the renderers right now, using shaders, i know that synthclipse will feature timeline soon, but the current contest could REALLY make use of the advanced animation capabilities wink
@tom why not blast us away with an incredible compo entry ?!  embarrass

---

LMarkoya
Strange Attractor

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 09:43:49 PM »

Have to admit, those Klinians look super, at the release of Frax, I started begging Tom for this, beautiful beginning Tom and thank you
LMarkoya
Strange Attractor

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 01:01:16 AM »

Due to limitations of bandwidth I was unable to actually watch the video at work.....all I can say is Damn, that looks beautiful Tom. Does it support a Z Buffer? It all looks amazing and it will be hard to wait for us mortals to get our hands on it.....beautiful job
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 11:40:19 PM »

wow!  shocked  cheesy
Incredible!
even more so that you plan to make it open source!  joy
please keep us posted!

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 11:54:56 PM »

Fantastic overview. IMHO that beats all current developments in that sector by far! Creative and innovative, that's subblue as we know him...
 Cantor Dance

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Tark
Forums Newbie

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 05:41:32 AM »

I can't wait for the open-source to be available.

Can I be on a list to be notified when Fractal Lab 2015 is released?

Thanks for your all your great work Tom.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: