Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 06:06:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Help about mandelbrot negative exponents  (Read 586 times)
trenmost
Forums Newbie

« on: April 30, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »

Hello!

What is the formula used for negative (z --> z^-n + c) rendering?

i applied the following formula:
Code:
RealNumber l = cLength(c1);  //sqrt(c1.r*c1.r+c1.i*c1.i)
 c1.i = sqrt(0.5*(l - c1.r));
 c1.r = sqrt(0.5*(l + c1.r));

but it only gives me a circle...
element90
Strange Attractor

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 02:07:24 PM »

To find the square root of a complex number

if z = a + bi

r = sqrt(a*a + b*b)
theta = atan2(b/a)

z.r = sqrt(r)*cos(theta/2)
z.i = sqrt(r)*sin(theta/2)

Elelemt90 Fractals blog www.element90.wordpress.com
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 02:16:58 PM »

Getting the inverse of z^n gives n roots, so element90's code is a little incomplete for the case n=2.

You can solve it quite easily for rational n = p/q (where p and q integers), however dealing with negative p/q is probably also a bit trickier and there might be infinitely many roots...

claude
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 03:16:09 PM »

Negative powers are just reciprocals:
z^{-n} = \frac{1}{z^n}

Complex reciprocal is defined by:
\frac{1}{x + y i} = \frac{x - y i}{x^2 + y^2}
This is derived by multiplying both the top and bottom of the left hand side by x - y i (aka the complex conjugate of x + y i) which leaves the fraction the same.

The escape time algorithm doesn't work for negative powers (there is no possible escape radius, because large values can get small again), see here:
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1257555/how-to-compute-a-negative-multibrot-set

Roots are fractional powers, z^{\frac{1}{n}} is the n-valued n'th root - the multiple values cause all kinds of problems, not to mention not being analytic at 0 - I wasted some hours trying to find an interior distance estimate for z \to z^{-2} + c, but the pre-conditions of the Koebe quarter theorem aren't met (\frac{\partial}{\partial z} f^p(z_0(c), c) wraps around the unit circle 3 times for that function, for the usual z^{+2} + c it wraps around just once, which I think is probably crucial).
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 04:29:22 PM »

As far as I can tell it's easy to find the inverse and it's an unique solution.
1/(a+ib) = (a-ib)/((a+ib)(a-ib)) ... etc wink

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 05:22:21 PM »

See also http://www.fractalforums.com/new-theories-and-research/negative-multibrots/
xenodreambuie
Conqueror

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 12:28:28 AM »

The escape time algorithm doesn't work for negative powers (there is no possible escape radius, because large values can get small again), see here:
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1257555/how-to-compute-a-negative-multibrot-set

Thanks for that article. Using a more general method for convergent Mandelbrot and Julia formulas, finding fixed critical points by Newton-Raphson fails for z-n+c. Using c for the critical point solves the problem (although I don't have a smooth transition between these methods).

Regards, Garth
http://xenodream.com
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: