Logo by lycium - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 02:13:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Sliced Mandelbulb  (Read 11838 times)
JosLeys
Strange Attractor

« on: December 02, 2009, 06:39:50 PM »

I took a slice of a degree 6, and found this ..
Seems like all the familiar fractal shapes are to be found on the inside.
(image : Ultrafractal)

* 4D_test_116.jpg (137.24 KB, 800x602 - viewed 2282 times.)
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 10:27:25 PM »

Yes indeed smiley
It looks even better with some angle in the view:

Or even better with nice perspective like in this image from Buddhi:

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 10:52:22 PM »

pretty neat smiley

any cutplane-rotation animation yet?
JosLeys
Strange Attractor

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 11:12:35 PM »

Can't beat Bib's pictures!
Bib, what power is this and what cut did you take?
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 11:37:30 PM »

thanks smiley
you'll guess the power (2) and the cut plane from this image :

http://www.fractalforums.com/gallery/1/492_15_11_09_8_03_50.jpg

Actually I just found how to do like Buddhi's perspective using David's formula in Ultrafractal, but it's not easy to find the right parameters (Camera distance and Image Plane distance)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:37:57 PM by bib » Logged

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 12:15:57 AM »

Actually I just found how to do like Buddhi's perspective using David's formula in Ultrafractal, but it's not easy to find the right parameters (Camera distance and Image Plane distance)

If you bear in mind that the "Camera distance" is simply the distance of the image plane from the target and will not change the perspective when modified (only changing the camera location) and the "Image Plane distance" is the distance of the image plane from the viewpoint and will change the perspective when modified then you should be OK !
Note that one thing you can try for easier positioning is set the "Camera distance" to a very small value (e.g. 0.000001) and then the "target" is effectively the location of the image plane, in other words the target location becomes the camera position. Don't use zero for the "Camera distance" though because that'll screw up the camera rotation.
If you want things to look like small objects then use a large image plane distance, but if you want to make things look huge then reduce the image plane distance (e.g. to 0.1 or even less), reduce the distance of the camera from the desired view area and increase the magnificatiion.

BTW I am working on an updated formula (probably to be released as a separate formula rather than an update) that will render everything based on the Mandelbulb method considerably faster.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:17:45 AM by David Makin » Logged

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 12:29:33 AM »

Are these mandelbrot-like slices taken through a random plane? because if they're taken through i=0 or r=0 then it is clear that they will have mandelbrot-like detail because the equations are just mandelbrot-like equations.
If they are really from a random plane then that is more significant, more surprising and more interesting.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 12:34:29 AM »

Are these mandelbrot-like slices taken through a random plane? because if they're taken through i=0 or r=0 then it is clear that they will have mandelbrot-like detail because the equations are just mandelbrot-like equations.
If they are really from a random plane then that is more significant, more surprising and more interesting.

no miracle unfortunately!

EDIT : however if you rotate the cut plane 90° around the main axis, you get new kinds of shapes like:

http://www.fractalforums.com/gallery/1/492_16_11_09_11_33_06.jpg

http://www.fractalforums.com/gallery/1/492_16_11_09_11_21_29.jpg

@David, I'm trying hard but it's still unclear to me. For example if I take the first image I posted above and try to apply more perspective, the location is completely screwed up. Starting from the general view I posted just above, what operating mode would you suggest to do a similar image as Buddhi's one (the 2nd one) ?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:36:45 PM by bib » Logged

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 12:51:42 AM »

@David, I'm trying hard but it's still unclear to me. For example if I take the first image I posted above and try to apply more perspective, the location is completely screwed up. Starting from the general view I posted just above, what operating mode would you suggest to do a similar image as Buddhi's one (the 2nd one) ?

Ah, I think I understand your problem - I assume you positioned things using UF's standard zooming ? If doing that you change UF's centre from (0,0) then it causes problems setting positions up using the formula parameters. Ideally you should get the image set up as best you can with UF's location fixed and only change the magnification value and the formula parameters to set the position and distance etc. If you change the UF location so it's not centred then any changes you make to the formula parameters will always completely change the view.
So if you want to start from the image you posted then the first thing to do is reset UF's in-built center to (0,0) then use the formula target/distance/rotation to get a similar view to what you started with. As I said above a trick you can use here is set the "Camera distance" to a very small value, that way the target location is effectively the camera location. Obviously you can set a camera location then use "explore" on the camera rotation to point it in the correct direction.
Note that a trick to find the x,y,z value for a given location is make sure UF centre is zero with magnification 1 and the camera target is (0,0,0) with a normal camera distance, say 4 or more, then set the formula to "parallel" instead of "perspective" and view at (0,0) camera rotation and UF's x,y coords are the 3D x,y coords, then rotate the camera 90 degrees (direction not elevation) and you then have UF's 2D coords as the 3D z,y coords (or -z,y).
It's best to completely use the formula parameters for setting up positions, just changing the UF magnification until you're very close to what you want and then finally use UF's zoombox to relocate/frame exactly as you want things at the end.

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 12:58:52 AM »

Obviously you can set a camera location then use "explore" on the camera rotation to point it in the correct direction.

You're right and I suspected exactly what you explained about UF's location that should be set to 0.

But there is a kind of bug in the "explore" window when playing with camera position/rotation: it does not take into account all parameters (I don't know which ones exactly) so the preview image is not the result you get. It makes the process trial and error oriented and quite tedious.

cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 01:07:50 AM »

You guys never cease to amaze me. Especially considering that your renders probably take minutes to hours and take even longer to prepare.

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 01:47:49 AM »

You guys never cease to amaze me. Especially considering that your renders probably take minutes to hours and take even longer to prepare.

If you don't count the time taken writing and optimising the actual formula used then this one http://makinmagic.deviantart.com/art/Summer-on-the-Tundra-145532566 took only about 5 or 10 minutes to prepare, though admittedly the render took an hour and a half @3840*2880 - but that's only on a core2duo, maybe 4 to 5 minutes on a dual quadcore smiley
You must remember that in normal UF formulas you can work on an image without having to wait for each change to finish rendering, you get to see lower resolution previews when using "multi-pass" mode.

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 01:52:27 AM »

But there is a kind of bug in the "explore" window when playing with camera position/rotation: it does not take into account all parameters (I don't know which ones exactly) so the preview image is not the result you get. It makes the process trial and error oriented and quite tedious.

That's strange, I've never noticed such a problem...will investigate.

David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 01:54:30 AM »

Can't find a problem, but, you do know that the preview only shows the selected layer and not all layers ?

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 07:24:34 AM »

Can't find a problem, but, you do know that the preview only shows the selected layer and not all layers ?

Yes I know. I will try to make some screenshots and post an upr for the example.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: