Logo by mclarekin - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 06:17:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: raising to a complex power?  (Read 1490 times)
inhahe
« on: November 21, 2009, 12:52:41 PM »

I heard that somewhere in these forum is a formula for raising the mandelbulb to a complex power, but I haven't been able to find it..
can somebody tell me what that formula is?
thx
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »

I heard that somewhere in these forum is a formula for raising the mandelbulb to a complex power, but I haven't been able to find it..
can somebody tell me what that formula is?
thx

http://www.fractalforums.com/3d-fractal-generation/true-3d-mandlebrot-type-fractal/msg8705/#msg8705

Note that that formula is the complex+real version of Paul Nylanders version of Daniel White's formula, not the version Daniel quotes in his skytopia article.

However I'm not sure how to get the derivative for the analytical distance estimate if you use fully complex powers - I've currently not actually tried non-real powers so at the moment for all my versions of the formula I'm just using the trig version of the derivative for real powers.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 03:21:08 PM by David Makin » Logged

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 05:29:02 PM »

I came to those results:

your new r = (r^2)^(x/2)
your new theta and phi = 2*pi*floor((-y log(r)-x phi+pi)/(2 pi))+y*log(r)+x*phi

with x+y*i being the complex exponent, r being the radius of your z and phi being the argument of it and phi being replacable by theta.
At least, that's true if I understood correctly, what happens with Mandelbulb...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: