Logo by LAR2 - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 07:12:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Infinite Waves  (Read 2091 times)
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« on: July 20, 2014, 11:02:54 AM »

Hi everyone!
(and congrats Kalle for your own space here, finally!)
I have a question: How do you use Infinite Waves correctly?
As soon as I switch it on, the screen turns black, no matter what type/period I've added..
What am I doing wrong?
Cheers,
Chilli

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Dinkydau
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 02:35:18 PM »

You need to give numbers for at least brightness, otherwise the brightness is 0 everywhere.

simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

Experienced Fractal eXtreme plugin crasher!

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:20:32 PM »

In the fractal I entered for the competition this year, I used the following wave values:

Code:
B 1033 0
B  337 0
B   61 0
H 4127 0
S   17 0
S  613 0

This palette worked well with the closeness of the location as it passed close to a few minibrots.

Feel free to try this out in your own renderings.

To anyone viewing my posts and finding missing/broken links to a website called www.needanother.co.uk, I still own the domain but recently cancelled my server (saving £30/month) so even though the domain address exists, it points nowhere.  I hope to one day sort something out but for now - sorry!
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 09:30:09 PM »

ahhh... brightness... here comes the light! smiley

thank you, guys!

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 05:24:13 PM »

I just started to explore the Infinite Wave function in Kalles and I found it to be kind of hard (so very nice to work with, since challanges are a good thing). But it's too complex to predict, it really calls for a kind of preview. When the waves are only applied to the actual fractal, it's impossible to see what happens on other zoom levels.

I've been using some math tools like octave + gnuplot to see how additions of waves interact with eachother. It's not the most easy or most clear way to do it though.

What are your methods to create infinite waves? Just trial and error? Make use of number sequences?
Kalles Fraktaler
Fractal Senior

kallesfraktaler
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »

Just trial and error smiley
The Brightness is set to a lower value than the others, and it defines the density of the colors.
The others are just some numbers, it always turns out nicely but get kind of the same all the time with very colorful colors. So now I am back to the palette again which can be set to pale, pastelle, neon or whatever I like.

Want to create DEEP Mandelbrot fractals 100 times faster than the commercial programs, for FREE? One hour or one minute? Three months or one day? Try Kalles Fraktaler http://www.chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler
http://www.facebook.com/kallesfraktaler
youhn
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 08:05:53 PM »

I used to make stripes manually, projected on palette with long waves of color to get things like this:

The stripes are just visible in white, in the least dense areas.

Lately I found a way to simulate this with the Inifite Wave function, which also dims the overall saturation. Just use big numbers for the period of brightness and hue (like B = 2048, H = 1536) and a serie of small numbers for the saturation ( S=1, S=3, S=5, S=7, S=8, S=9, S=11). Combine this set of waves with a low value for Divide Iteration like 0.02. This will produce pictures like this:

(Kalles Fraktaler file attached to this post)

These are ideal for color cycling movies, since it created a semi-random texture which will accent the movement. Instead of the illusion of glowing colors, the actual movement becomes more visible. With even higher ratios between B/H and S, the bands will almost become invisible. This will result in an averaged saturation of about 50%, and also some interference (depending on the location in the fractal).

* bs-7001.kfr.txt (1.77 KB - downloaded 109 times.)
laser blaster
Iterator

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »

I like to make my color palettes in GIMP. I would make a very long and skinny image (like 2048x16 px), paint on some colors, then read in a line of pixels in my program as a palette.That way, you have full aesthetic control over the result, and can layer in high-frequency waves on top of long gradients as you please. Unfortunately, KF doesn't have any way to import a palette from an image
youhn
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 01:30:05 PM »

I've also tried the gimp, but did not really feel right for me. I want the waves to visualize the repeating stuff in the fractal sets. With the right value for color density (divide iteration), spiral things in the Mandelbrot can look like bubbles.

Another one with the method to dim the saturation (big values for B and H, very low for S):

Source: http://jeroensnake.deviantart.com/art/Flow-mask-green-477398802

See attached file for original location. The result was sheared, stretched and sharpened with the Gimp ...

* bs-0198.kfr.txt (11.07 KB - downloaded 121 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: