Logo by yv3 - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 10:16:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Definition of 'Art'  (Read 28556 times)
Jules Ruis
Fractal Lover

Jules Ruis

« on: October 19, 2006, 12:16:44 AM »

Definition of Art.

'Art' is an individual expression of an individual feeling.

Question: Is making Fractals then 'Art'?

Jules J.C.M. Ruis
www.fractal.org
matera
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 04:41:04 AM »

It certainly is. Fractal images that are presented as art, rather than as specimens to demonstrate the result of a mathematical operation, are produced by a process of selection that depends entirely on the individual's personal taste and esthetic values. Choosing the parameters and coloring method and selecting a particular area are much the same as choosing paint colors and brushstrokes and composing an image on a canvas. As long as the process is under the control of the artist, it is art.
bradorpoints
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 07:23:33 AM »

What do you think?

I'm an observationist fractal artist.  I know the software, and how to navigate - but that's about it.  I read a few technical books regarding fractals before realizing that, while this course of study is facinating, I don't about the math.  It's similar to photographing something in nature - clouds, trees, etc.  You need to frame what you are looking at - mood, interest, style all influence that tiny piece of the shoreline we all love to explore.  It's art.
GFWorld
Fractal Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 09:27:28 PM »

Jules wrote>Question: Is making Fractals then 'Art'?

Yes it is art.
I agree with braderpoints and Mats posts, could not write a better english text here :-)

But I think we have a wonderful actual example here that it is art
... http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=55.0 wink

Margit
titia
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 05:15:06 PM »

It depends, I think. There are people that use the software and let it do almost all the work. They make random images. Sometimes nice to look at, but often not real art. Also: if it is art or not depends on the image and of course on the person that looks at it.
I am an educated artist and I use fractalsoftware just the way I use my colorpencils. I choose my colors, my composition, my shape. I give shape to my mood or ideas.

Titia

Generalized Newton IV (no PP, as usual)
Marc Brutschy
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 07:59:05 AM »

I would say making fractals can certainly be "art".  But then I suppose I have to define what I think "art" is.

I have an interesting take on the definition of art.  I asked a professional sculptor once why so many sculptors give lengthy descriptions of what they intended to accomplish with their art.  He said it was called "art speak" and is used to justify their creations as being art.  This is really important in the area of sculpture because an "artist" could set a coffee cup, a nail, and a banjo on a table and claim is was a sculpture in "found objects."  That's considered a medium in sculpture.  So what makes this bunch of stuff, however positioned, art?

The answer is: art speak!  If the artist drones on for hours in an interview about how s/he is trying to do blah blah blah, then it must be art.  And who can argue with that?

This leads to my personal definition of art.

--->  "Art is whatever the artist says it is, and the more convincing the argument, the more people who will agree that the work is actually art."

How does this work in practice?  When people first saw Piet Mondrian's paintings, most of them said, "That's not art!"  But over time, the art community accepted his work as art because of his convincing arguments about what he was trying to do.  Now people say, "Well, it may be art, but _I_ sure don't like it."

Which is about all anyone can say once a bunch of people accept a body of work as art.

So, is your fractal a work of art?  It is if you say so.  But if you want lots of other people to agree with you, you might just have to start talking like an artist and persuade people that you have created a work of art.

Oh, and a bit of suffering for your art doesn't hurt either.

Marc Brutschy

titia
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 10:04:50 AM »

".... Oh, and a bit of suffering for your art doesn't hurt either."

:-)))))

Yes, you gave a nice definition.

Titia

alan2here
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 10:19:08 PM »

Yes
faceface
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 09:38:51 PM »

Definition of Art.

'Art' is an individual expression of an individual feeling.

No - Perhaps one individual can create, and the creation in isolation can have meaning, but perhaps that is never art - in my opinion. Art is about communication - I think.

Definition of Art.

Question: Is making Fractals then 'Art'?

What are you trying to communicate? Is your message received or not? If your art is never understood - is it still valid? Is the Mona Lisa in the vacuum of space still art? I would be inclined to answer NO to both questions. If we seal the Mona Lisa in a box for the rest of time - it ceases to be art. If our art is never understood (on any level) then it is never art.

Perhaps in the pathological case of split personality we can argue that the individual is his own audience, and that information can be communicated from left to right brain for example ... but is that a valid exception to my definition - or just more confusing didactic lunacy?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 09:43:07 PM by faceface » Logged
matera
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 04:22:36 AM »

A more jaundiced view...if you look at the commercial side, Art is whatever sells, and you can't sell Art unless you are recognized as an Artist, that is a supreme BS-er who has sold enough stuff to rich people already - then your work is considered an Investment...in other words, it has little to do with esthetic value or communication (until long after you're dead).  LOL
titia
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 04:30:54 PM »

Not long ago, there was a Dutch artist, who had a list of people that bought his work before he had even made it....! Of course he laughed about that. Only a straight line was already art. The buyers made it "art".
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 08:40:44 PM by titia » Logged
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 08:05:13 AM »

Laura H. Haglund ("Matera the Mad") wrote:
>
>    ....if you look at the commercial side, Art is whatever sells,
>    and you can't sell Art unless you are recognized as an Artist,
>    that is a supreme BS-er....

Titia van Beugen wrote:
>
>    ....there was a Dutch artist... who had a list of people that
>    bought his work before he had even made it....

This can be said for all Graphic Artists, who are hired (and sometimes payed) in advance to create "art" for a client.  Though in most cases, the client works closely with the artist to explain what it is they want to see in a finished product.  And usually, the artist has to do the work over and over again until the client finally is satisfied.

This was what I did as a profession many decades ago, before I got into working with computers and becoming a programmer.  Back then, I was not an independent artist, but worked for different companies, and got paid by the hour.      tongue stuck out

« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 09:06:40 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

titia
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 08:59:51 AM »

Yes Paul, true, but this artist didn't work with his client. He made something and it was sold already. His name was more important than his work.

Ultra Fractal
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 11:28:21 PM »

I'm quite new here, but firmly convinced that it is Art if the creator intends it be so.

Good Art or Bad Art is subjective.

I am just having fun.

I only half grasp what's going on Mathematically, but I have great Fun using Fractal Art in my Side-Work, making Computer Games and Animations.

Is Fun an Art Form?

I think so.

Look at Performance Art.

It can be a Process and a Mind Set, as much as a finished image!

My 3 Cents worth for today...

Nice to meet you all!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
matera
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 02:01:03 AM »

If laughter is medicine, fun is an art form - anyway, art is fun wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: