Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 04:38:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractal and music  (Read 1520 times)
3tienne
Forums Newbie

« on: February 02, 2014, 02:53:40 PM »

Hi,
i'm new to the forum but i came with something in mind.
When i look to animations made by people like Don whitaker or other people on youtube, i immediately think of the windows media player of some years ago, with this ugly and useless animations made of line moving on the rythm of music.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lUfeZDNaRD8&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/lUfeZDNaRD8&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
What if instead of this animations that werent nice at all, they were nice fractals form and an animated camera?
Im pretty sure im not the first to think of that, and that there is a project being developped somewhere...
Anyway, i spoke of that idea to a friend of mine who produces music, and seeing some videos made with mandelbulb 3D he was quite interested.

So my questions are:
-can I try to use mandelbulb3d code to start this project?
-Is someone interested in helping me with that?
-is there a similar project already being developped i could collaborate?

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 03:26:41 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forums   afro

So my questions are:
-can I try to use mandelbulb3d code to start this project?
-Is someone interested in helping me with that?
-is there a similar project already being developed i could collaborate?

MB3D is not open source, so I doubt it's code will be available for modification or inspiration.  However Mandelbulber is Open Source and did, at one point, have a sound driven animation feature - but it was buggy and removed from the program  (if I recall correctly).  But it's code is available, and the sound driven parts may still be out there for you, if you can find it.

My programming days are so far behind me I missed the whole intro of Object Orientated Programming  (Yes, I learned by punching cards), so my help would be worthless at best!  Hopefully somebody else can assist.

I have no idea if anybody is working on this or not.

If I needed something like this quickly, I'd try manipulating an image sequence using "expressions" in After Effects or some other video editor that has a similar feature.  By altering frame rates and possibly the visible area of an image sequence, you could cheat.  Admittedly, this is nowhere near what could be done with the fully implemented concept you mention - but it's a start if results were needed for a quick and dirty job.

Good luck on the quest  embarrass

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 04:52:58 PM »

There are plenty of sound visualization works out there that are way more impressive than this ages old default one from Windows Media Player or what it was. Some of them might come close to what you are thinking.
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 05:06:55 PM »

i guess the problem is the rendertime. high quality seems hard to achieve in realtime. the movies you see here have render times of days or even weeks..
but then again I'm not a programmer and don't have a clue and don't want to discourage you. It'd be great if you found a way to speed things up..

reading your post I had to think about the elecric sheep screensaver. but it doesn't work with music..

ah, and of course:
 howdy

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 05:43:02 PM »

I bet electric sheep could easily be extended to allow for music that they either create themselves too, or take as input for a given evolved ruleset that results in their patterns.

Renderingtime for really advanced, fancy effects would indeed be an issue if you don't want to bake/compile a given pattern to a given piece of music "off-line" but want to just throw a random piece of music in and get a "live" visual feedback out. However, compared to this (computer-wise) stone-aged visual audio-feedback system you gave as example in your video, a LOT should be possible in real time by now. Incredibly fancy stuff even, if you look at what gaming graphics can do nowadays.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: