Logo by mclarekin - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 06:29:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Distributed computing for fractal goodness  (Read 5018 times)
twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« on: June 24, 2009, 09:41:43 PM »

How good of an idea would it be to set up a distributed network for some awesome fractal pictures, and especially animations? Okay, it probably won't cure cancer or find aliens, but we'd see some jaw dropping results to show for it if enough people joined in.

Just thought I'd throw the idea out there...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:44:00 PM by twinbee » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 09:55:27 PM »

i had the idea of managing an ultrafractal5 server list of users, so that each user can register when he is online,
and every user can load such a dynamic ip list to set up its server list, i believe at least for large render projects
this would be great if more than 100 people are constantly in wink

greets

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 02:56:21 PM »

Count me in.....once I have bought a decent PC smileysmiley

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
twinbee
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 07:28:15 PM »

It would be ace if we could get projects outside of ultra fractal too (e.g. nice custom 3D raytracing stuff), though that might be tricky. Also afaik, each computer in the UF network would have to buy the $140 version.

We could have a forum/thread containing 'candidate' projects, and the most popular (through voting or however else) can have priority. Sort of a queue system could be developed, where a judgement can be made according to a: how good a particular render will turn out and b: how quick it will take. Short-time, more interesting projects would go to the front...

I'd pitch in too smiley
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 07:51:57 PM by twinbee » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 08:49:35 PM »

as far as i know does an uf5 server not need an registered uf5, just the user who is using the server must have it ... it is simple watermarking of the image, but i am not sure about it

perhaps i should ask on the uf-programmers list ... i will do it right away ...

afro

---

Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 07:51:16 PM »

as far as i know does an uf5 server not need an registered uf5,
    just the user who is using the server must have it ... it is simple
    watermarking of the image, but i am not sure about it. afro

The trial version will work, one does not need a licensed version to run the server application.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:57:16 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

stigomaster
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 04:30:23 PM »

So there won't be a "Unregistered copy" watermark problem with the trial UF5? If not, I will gladly join in with my little Toshiba notebook. Every last clock cycle counts, right?  tongue stuck out
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 08:03:11 PM »

yes, it would work, but we would need a technical concept
- dynamic updated server list that is downloaded by hand before starting uf5
- bug the programmer for using an http xml url to retrieve an updated server list

do not know really how this could be done easily ...

i have had a small farm with 4 computers running last time, and the deeper you zoom, the more you rely on many servers to support the actual image...

cry

---

stigomaster
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 08:34:37 PM »

This reminds me by the way of the Electric Sheep screensaver... No more is necessary to say, I guess tongue stuck out
Timeroot
Fractal Fertilizer

The pwnge.

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 07:38:42 AM »

That would be SO COOL. I think, if it happened, the first projects should all be some totally "uber" zooms of the mandelbulb; maybe some really high res/high iteration images of the different "species" of phenomena of the mandelbrot, trying to build a "zoo", and then some of the fractals that go up "quarticly" (as opposed to quadratically) with resolution, such as the Supermandelbrot and Superjulia.

My question is (I don't know to much about this) - why would we need a server through UltraFractal? If enough people joined, maybe some kind of bitTorrent would work, with tasks just listed on Google Sites or something... then, as the images were processed, they could be stored on PhotoBucket, and then compiled together and saved on YouTube if it's a movie. Would that be at all possible?

Someday, man will understand primary theory; how every aspect of our universe has come about. Then we will describe all of physics, build a complete understanding of genetic engineering, catalog all planets, and find intelligent life. And then we'll just puzzle over fractals for eternity.
miner49er
Safarist

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 09:56:14 AM »

I like this idea. A lot.

I would be happy to provide some CPU time and be involved in some coding.
Right now though, I'm balls deep in a nother project.
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »

....the first projects should all be some totally "uber" zooms of the mandelbulb;

....why would we need a server through UltraFractal?  If enough people joined,
    maybe some kind of bitTorrent would work, with tasks just listed on Google Sites
    or something... then, as the images were processed, they could be stored on
    PhotoBucket, and then compiled together and saved on YouTube if it's a movie.
    Would that be at all possible?

Yes it would be possible.  But setting it up, managing it, getting people involved (and having them stay involved), and all the other organizational aspects is another story.

Having something established that uses Internet-connected computers, like in the SETI@home scientific experiment, is a much easier way to generate hundreds of images.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:58:59 AM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

Timeroot
Fractal Fertilizer

The pwnge.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 05:41:21 PM »

Could it be done through BOINC? Would probably make things a lot easier. BOINC is a platform distributed computing; anyone who downloads one piece of software can then choose any multitude of projects to work on, which it will then cycle through.

Someday, man will understand primary theory; how every aspect of our universe has come about. Then we will describe all of physics, build a complete understanding of genetic engineering, catalog all planets, and find intelligent life. And then we'll just puzzle over fractals for eternity.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 06:08:49 PM »

it would be the first BOINC projekt i add on all my friends computers having boinc installed cheesy

i think it is an open standard and, the programmer of uf frederik slijkerman should have to set it up to make use
of it ....

and i do not know how efficently ultrafractal would handle those nonconform global tables formulas which
are necessary for global illumination purposes on single images .... that would be hard, but it would be enough
if the uf network could render frames of an animation easily ...

btw. i always think that i am rendering some stupid test parameters of students sitting somewhere testing
some theories when running boinc ( from the filenames of the tasks )

---

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: