Logo by Dinkydau - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 06:45:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Comprehensive collection of fractals in our universe  (Read 7265 times)
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« on: September 19, 2013, 11:47:36 AM »

I've spent quite some time gathering all examples of fractals in nature, our universe, our daily live.
Yes, I'm one of these "everything is fractal"-guys.  :smiley
I made that pinboard for myself, but I think it can be helpful to sharpen the "fractal view", the ability to recocnize the fractal patterns all around us.
To avoid confusion and arguments I need to define what "fractal" means for me:
Contrary to many I call stuff fractal even when it is not the 100% perfect mathematicl fractal. I think natural fracals have a far wider range than these theoretical, perfect ones. I actually think that the fractals in nature have a multifractal level (meaning that the formula itself changes in a self-similar, fractal way). And that this makes them far more complex than the "simple formulas" we know from our fractal mathematics. And harder to spot.

Here are some features that each on their own can indicate that a thing "is fractal" - at least in my personal view.
Spirals, fractal branching, self similarity, (radial) symetry, "infinity",

--edit 5.2.2014:  I'Ve come to the conclusion that the core of everything I would call fractal is recursion. ----
--edit:27.05.2015: I would now ground the pinboard on the following statement:
The universe unfolds through the recursive calculation (aka "time") of a probably very simple formula that results in what we perceive as our fractal cosmos.
Our reality is surfing the fractal border between 3d:Space and 4d:Time

----

So it's all about finding the patterns that indicate this.
I see fractal patterns in stuff others (especially mathematicians) won't consider fractal, like evolution, design, history, human beings, science itself(branching, ever more details).. could go on and on.

Back to the Pinboard:
I tried to avoid duplicates and stuff that is too similar. But some are still in there, especially amongst the newer and more important ones that needed "fractalization" wink
You can click the pins for a larger view and (most of the time) then click the picture for more information or the source.

Enough talk, here come the pictures wink
Enjoy!

http://www.pinterest.com/chillheimer/life-is-fractal/

And feel free to comment, discuss and especially to add a good new find here!

----------------------

Warning: Don't get hooked on pinterest! It's an absolute timekiller!! - but such fun and a great tool - don't use it!!)  :smiley wink
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:21:29 PM by Chillheimer » Logged

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »

Lovely collection, some really great images to illustrate your ideas!  A Beer Cup

alij
Conqueror

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 06:13:19 PM »

Excellent resource I've bookmarked this for future reference I'm sure it will come in useful.
mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 01:53:24 AM »

Warning: Don't get hooked on pinterest! It's an absolute timekiller!! - but such fun and a great tool - don't use it!!)  :smiley wink

Too late I'm hooked, very impressive smiley smiley smiley
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 05:18:59 AM »

Superb!  grin
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »

I've spent quite some time gathering all examples of fractals in nature, our universe, our daily live.
    I made that pinboard for myself, but I think it can be helpful to sharpen the "fractal view", the ability to recocnize the fractal patterns all around us.
    I tried to avoid duplicates and stuff that is too similar.  http://www.pinterest.com/chillheimer/life-is-fractal/
    And feel free to comment, discuss and especially to add a good new find here!

It is too bad that your Pinterest page does not always give credit to the original web page's owner of those images.  I have seen a lot of people that have created similar "collections" from sources they stumble upon while browsing around the Internet.  I tend to have a lot more respect for the originator than those people that can only gather up stuff from others.

In case you are interested, you have two of the same images by Hector Garrido.  Also some duplicate images of fruit cross-sections.  Though the images of the Romanesco broccoli are not quite exactly the same, was there a reason for having two of them, especially since the first one would take the viewer to a web page with multiple views??  And there are probably more dups, just did not wish to waste any more of my time on this site.

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 04:03:06 PM »

I tend to have a lot more respect for the originator than those people that can only gather up stuff from others.
I didn't make this collection to gain respect in a forum wink
As said, I did this for myself, as some kind of digital leaflet, because the compilations I found were missing a lot of stuff that I would call fractal.
And I wanted it to be easier accessible which works great with pinterest in my opinion, all in view, just scrolling down..
I just thought it'd be nice to share here..

Of course the originators deserve respect, I don't disagree at all!
And most of the time they are named in the way that pinterest works: You need to click on the small pic in the list and then on the large picture and it will lead you directly to the source (if I -or the person I repinned it from- could find it)

Thanks for pointing some duplicates, I cleaned up a little..
The romanesco is twice, because the newer one is a video that shows a weird glitch in the 'formula', resulting in a different kind of familiar fractal.. I found that interesting enugh.. smiley
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:06:07 PM by Chillheimer, Reason: typo » Logged

stereoman
Fractal Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 11:44:48 AM »

Very good collection, I agree with your viewpoint.

youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 08:57:35 PM »

Got this one already?

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/01/nanoparticles-catch-cancer-cells-that-make-it-into-the-blood-stream/
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 06:05:02 PM »

Just wondering if your project is still active?  huh? Or perhaps iterated into some new project(s) or discussions?
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 08:53:35 PM »

hi youhn!
I add some new stuff to the pinterest-board whenever I discover them, but I think I've covered the most important ones and want to avoid duplicates.
fractalogy.org is still going, but due to job&family situation I wasn't very active in the last months. also I was missing a bit more participation from the community - the job is just too big for a single person. I need to become better at marketing wink
also, you guessed correctly, it iterated to new projects, I've teamed up with the video-producer I did this together <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tN_eNQFcv5E&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/tN_eNQFcv5E&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
to create a youtube channel only about fractals, adding video explanations to the more important aspects at fractalogy.org
somewhen around spring is the plan..

Progress might slow down, but I don't think I'll ever quit that fascinating obsession.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: