Logo by S Nelson - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 28, 2024, 06:42:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Burning Ship fractal  (Read 28946 times)
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 08:48:23 PM »

The combination of a _folding2 and a integer power 2 alternated leads also to a burning ship variant, with some crap around.
But there should be more than one ways to get a 3d version.
hermann
Iterator

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 11:07:17 PM »

The following is a detail of a burning ship fractal.

This one is a detail of a Burning Ship Julia.

It will be interesting to see a 3 D Version.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:10:06 PM by hermann » Logged

JackOfTraDeZ
Explorer

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 04:37:55 AM »

there are some REALLY good images here:

http://www.wackerart.de/burning-ship.html

sure wish I could do them in FRACTINT, maybe animate ...
hermann
Iterator

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 03:52:53 PM »

Here is a burning ship julia fractal!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 09:05:11 AM by hermann » Logged

Cyclops
Conqueror

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »

Anyone know what fractal type I'd need to use to get a Burning Ship in Incendia? Nice Julia by the way!

Sensitively dependant on initial conditions
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 05:43:45 PM »

As suggested by hermann, I post here the 3D version of the burning ship, done with Mandelbulb3D:

http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=4057
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 11:04:34 PM by bib » Logged

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
JackOfTraDeZ
Explorer

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 05:47:35 PM »

That 3D image is AWESOME!  Looks like a Gothic Alien city on some planet - would be cool in a movie or viddie game! I still can not get any of these to work in FractInt; maybe I should try to learn another software and join the 21st century ...........
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 05:58:19 PM »

Thanks smiley Credits go to Jesse for the program and the formula scripting, and M Benesi for the formula itself.

I have never used Fractint, so I can't tell how complex it would be to learn the new 3D programs. But I was quite used to Ultrafractal, and switching to Mandelbulb3D was quite easy. For Mandelbulber I would say it would probably be a little bit more complex, but really worth the investment.

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 09:25:43 PM »

what i love most about the burning ship is that also in 3d it looks like an old ship or big space galleon

happy

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
miner49er
Safarist

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 10:35:10 PM »

Wow.

That 3D version of the burning ship is the _most_ amazing 3D-version-of-a-2D-fractal I've ever seen. What I mean is, it actually looks like I would expect a 3D version of the burning ship to look like.

Well done.

...I'm still getting my head around Mandelbulb3D.
Cyclops
Conqueror

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 10:13:29 AM »

Can anyone tell me how i get this fractal in incendia?

Sensitively dependant on initial conditions
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2014, 03:05:22 PM »

That 3D image still looks wonderfull! Perhaps one of the more timeless jewels found here on the forums.

But anyway, not only to bump this topic. Could we do a comparison between the Mandelbrot set and the Burning ship Fractal? Just add and explain, we'll organize into a nice table later on.

Similarities
- Both have a west antenna
- Formulas are very similar
- Miniships are found in the BS, same as Minibrots are found in the MS
- When zooming into a mini, period doubling takes place

Differences
- BS is not symmetrical on the horizontal axis
- BS is not connected
- BS has sharp corners
- BS does not have infinite spirals (the ones without a mini) .... ?? Not sure about this one

My math is not very strong, but it would be nice to apply the comparison on this area aswell. And add visual examples.
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

Experienced Fractal eXtreme plugin crasher!

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2014, 03:54:43 PM »

Hi guys.

I know this post has only just been resurrected but is anyone still stuck on getting the burning ship working in FractInt?

Only reason I ask is that I've just spent two minutes writing this and I'm happy to share the code if anyone's stuck.  I've also created a slight variant of the fractal too, which I've named KungFuPanda.  You'll see why if you give it a try.

Anyhow, here's the code:

Code:
burningship {
  ; SMF to demonstrate how to do it.
  if (ismand)
    p = 0-pixel
    z = p
  else
    p = 0-p1
    z = 0-pixel
  endif:
  z = abs(z)
  z = z * z + p
  |z| < 4
}

kungfupanda {
  ; burning ship variant
  ; abs(z*z) in place of abs(z).
  if (ismand)
    p = 0-pixel
    z = p
  else
    p = 0-p1
    z = 0-pixel
  endif:
  z = abs(z*z)
  z = z * z + p
  |z| < 4
}

What seemed to be missing in the early replies to this thread was the bailout condition at the bottom (the last line essentially).  Unlike the colon : which simply separates the initialisation from the per iteration code, there's nothing separating the bailout from the rest of the code.  It takes some getting used to, but can give undesired effects if you forget about it.

In case you were wondering about the if (ismand) section, this allows the user to display julias too.  Essentially, you press space bar.  This brings up a crosshair, which you move around on the screen (hold down control if you want it to move faster).  When you are happy with your coordinates, press space again and you will get the julia of the location under the crosshair.  To return to the non julia variant press space once again.  The status of the ismand flag and the location of the julia are saved in the parameters (and embedded within any saved .gif file), but if you want to set one manually or see what it is set to, press z while displaying the fractal to go to the parameters screen.

Here's the KungFuPanda variant I've found:

Any problems, let me know as I've been using FractInt for some time.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:01:17 PM by simon.snake » Logged

To anyone viewing my posts and finding missing/broken links to a website called www.needanother.co.uk, I still own the domain but recently cancelled my server (saving £30/month) so even though the domain address exists, it points nowhere.  I hope to one day sort something out but for now - sorry!
ellarien
Conqueror

I like flowers

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2014, 01:50:11 AM »

- BS does not have infinite spirals (the ones without a mini) .... ?? Not sure about this one

There is at least one kind of infinite spiral.

may24_02 by ellarien, on Flickr

They can be found to the south of the western antenna, on the 'whiskers' that come out where the bulbous part at the eastern end of a miniship dips down below the axis. As far as I can tell there are no minisets down there at all.

Another difference is the tendency in some areas for minisets to appear in close symmetrical pairs, and relatedly the existence of areas where quite elaborate symmetrical patterns form around an empty centre rather than a miniset.
youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 11:41:21 PM »

Also in common with the Mandelbrot set:

Looks pretty symmetric around the most vertical axis.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: