Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 04:04:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Geometric Algebra, Geometric Calculus  (Read 11768 times)
Roquen
Iterator

« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2014, 03:08:48 PM »

I'm not following.  But I babble a little anyway.  Remember than complex numbers in the standard model of 2D in GA are the scalar and the bivector parts and can be formulated that way.  So some 'z' point is x + 0 e1 +0 e2 + y e12.

If you wanted to play around with variants in some extended model you'd have to move the x and y into the vector and the equation is reformed in the same way as in my quaternion thread.  Humm...you could probably do the two other configurations as well...but I don't think that would be of any interest.

Of course I may not be understanding what you mean by visualize...I've been assuming you mean "thinking about the elements" instead of literally "make a picture".  If the latter, then it depends on the equation.  In many cases you'll have zeros at fixed positions...otherwise you need to play around with projections.

All code submitted by me is in the public domain. (http://unlicense.org/)
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2014, 03:13:10 PM »

I just had the weirdest idea:
What would happen if you took a movie (2+1+3D) and just applied typical transformations on it?
I've seen switching space and time axes before. That can cause some interesting effects. But what about rotating the color axes into the spacetime axes? (remapped such that there is no color clipping)
I bet that would be pretty trippy.

Datavisualization deals with the issue of dimensional reduction all the time. There are algorithms which filter the data, automatically decide which parts are the "most significant" (e.g. their structure is the most complex/ they contribute the most to the used data) and, from there, produce a low-dimensional image which can be understood and interpreted by us more easily.
It's not perfect, but it's the best we can do.
hermann
Iterator

« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2014, 04:24:26 PM »

May be I have used the word dimension for my purposes. But geometric algebra is relative new for me, being classicly educated without geometric algebra a
3-Dimensional space was constructed by e_1, e_2, e_3.

Now in geometric algebra I have named the following structur 3-dimensional. May be not the correct name in mathematics, but that is it what I mean:

<br />\begin{tabular}{|c|c|c|c|}<br />\hline<br />Grade_{} & & & \\ \hline<br />0 &1 & & \\ \hline<br />1 &e_{1} &e_{2} &e_{3} \\ \hline<br />2 &e_{1}\wedge e_{2} &e_{1}\wedge e_{3} &e_{2}\wedge e_{3} \\ \hline<br />3 &e_{1}\wedge e_{2}\wedge e_{3} & & \\ \hline<br />\end{tabular}<br />

The following is a thing I call 4 dimensional
<br />\begin{tabular}{|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|}<br />\hline<br />Grade_{} & & & & & & \\ \hline<br />0 &1 & & & & & \\ \hline<br />1 &e_{1} &e_{2} &e_{3} &e_{4} & & \\ \hline<br />2 &e_{1}\wedge e_{2} &e_{1}\wedge e_{3} &e_{2}\wedge e_{3} &e_{1}\wedge e_{4} &e_{2}\wedge e_{4} &e_{3}\wedge e_{4} \\ \hline<br />3 &e_{1}\wedge e_{2}\wedge e_{3} &e_{1}\wedge e_{2}\wedge e_{4} &e_{1}\wedge e_{3}\wedge e_{4} &e_{2}\wedge e_{3}\wedge e_{4} & & \\ \hline<br />4 &e_{1}\wedge e_{2}\wedge e_{3}\wedge e_{4} & & & & & \\ \hline<br />\end{tabular}<br />

for 5 dimensions my LaTex code is not accepted. But the html-version works:
http://www.wackerart.de/mathematik/geometric_algebra.html

e_i's form a vector space.
e_i \wedge e_j form a bivector space.
e_i \wedge e_j \wedge e_k form a trivector space
one can continue to construc n-vector spaces.
From this Items one can construct a multivector. Which builds a multivector space.
All the vector spaces defined above are of cause vector spaces in the abstract sence!

Each of these vector spaces has of cause his own individual dimensionality.

Hermann
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:46:24 PM by hermann » Logged

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »

those objects are the descriptions of an orthonormal system (this is not actually a requirement, you can do non-orthonormal ones too) of all possible subspaces of a given dimensionality, added together to a larger vector space.

In practice you'll rarely need more than just a couple of elements to be presented at the same time.
It's not clear at all what it means to have a scalar AND a directed stretch AND a directed area AND a directed volume all at the same time.

A dimension, in mathematics, is no more than a number. It need not be visualized per se. It's not of great importance.
Intuition is greater in low-dimensional spaces we can actually grasp mentally, but that's precisely the power of geometric algebra: To intuitively extend this to higher-dimensional spaces, making the notion of reflection almost primitive. (It's just a double-multiplication with an element you want to reflect in, and its inversion, e.g. a sandwich operation).

You can't actually visualize those higher-dimensional spaces, but through geometric algebra, the operations on them become more intuitive. The notions of rotation or reflection become really clear.
hermann
Iterator

« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2014, 05:03:14 PM »

I just had the weirdest idea:
What would happen if you took a movie (2+1+3D) and just applied typical transformations on it?
I've seen switching space and time axes before. That can cause some interesting effects. But what about rotating the color axes into the spacetime axes? (remapped such that there is no color clipping)
I bet that would be pretty trippy.
May be one day I have a complete version of geometric algebra software. The next step is then how to define fractals and how visualise them. Sounds like a aweful lot of programming.

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2014, 05:44:24 PM »

eh, once you have the basic architecture down, defining any kind of geometric process should be easy enough.
In particular, already in this thread we found how to represent the MSet in Geometric Algebra. Applying that to higher dimensions unfortunately (but expectedly) just reproduces the quaternion-style rotated M-Set, but it works nicely for 2D.

What you gotta do is pick a base direction (the direction which will point in the positive real direction of the classical M-Set) and then just multiply it both sides with a (not reversed) arbitrary vector to get the "z²" part. Then, just add another vector c, and you have your usual situation.

Example:
Input vectors:
 \bold{z} = z_1 e_1 + z_2 e_2 \\<br />\bold{c} = c_1 e_1 + c_2 e_2
chosen base direction:
e_1
Process:
z e_1 z + c =\left(z_1 e_1 + z_2 e_2 \right) e_1 \left(z_1 e_1 + z_2 e_2 \right) + c_1 e_1 + c_2 e_2 = \\ \\<br /><br />\left(z_1 e_1 e_1 + z_2 e_2 e_1 \right) \left(z_1 e_1 + z_2 e_2 \right) + c_1 e_1 + c_2 e_2 = \\ \\<br /><br />z_1^2 e_1 + z^2 z_1 e_2 + z_1 z_2 e_2 + z_2^2 e_2 e_1 e_2 + c_1 e_1 + c_2 e_2 = \\ \\<br /><br />\left(z_1^2 - z_2^2 + c_1 \right) e_1 + \left(2 z_1 z_2 + c_2 \right) e_2 \to z \\\\<br />z_1 \to z_1^2 - z_2^2 +c_1\\<br />z_2 \to 2 z_1 z_2 + c_2 \\<br />z \to z e_1 z + c
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:07:31 PM by kram1032 » Logged
hermann
Iterator

« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2014, 04:27:14 PM »

I am still working on V9 and V18!

Maybe you can check my V9. Attention: This page will challange your browser!
http://www.wackerart.de/mathematik/geometric_algebra/multiplication_table_short_9.html

wink How did you note V18 with paper and pencil?  wink

Hermann

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2014, 04:38:57 PM »

it's not technically hard to write all this down, even if resulting tables are absolutely massive. Though if you multiply in a non-systematic way, by brute-forcing each possible combination of elements one by one to obtain the full multiplication tables, it's a very mind-numbing if technically easy task.
hermann
Iterator

« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2014, 04:47:32 PM »

eh, once you have the basic architecture down, defining any kind of geometric process should be easy enough.
In particular, already in this thread we found how to represent the MSet in Geometric Algebra. Applying that to higher dimensions unfortunately (but expectedly) just reproduces the quaternion-style rotated M-Set, but it works nicely for 2D.

Hallo Kram,

I have no problem in programming M-Sets with geometric algebra. Its more a technical question how to get a graphic interface to my software.
At the moment I am thinking to implement a 3D-JavaScript intefrace on my homepage. With severel windows in each window running a 3D animation.
The only problem is, I have to program it.

Hermann
P.S Something like this: http://www.wackerart.de/windows.html (use the scroll bars!)

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2014, 05:12:08 PM »

hah that's a neat demo
hermann
Iterator

« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2014, 07:30:26 PM »

I have produced the following page with tables of the canonical base vectors for the construction of multi vectors in different dimensions.
http://www.wackerart.de/mathematik/geometric_algebra/several_base_vector_tables.html

Hermann

hermann
Iterator

« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2014, 11:50:39 PM »

With geometic algebra it is possible to build complex numbers and quaternions.
But is it also possible to build Octonions and Sedenions with Geometric Algebra?

They also seems to have very interesting properties.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octonion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedenion

Hermann

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2014, 12:50:56 AM »

I'm pretty sure yes, however the correspondence might not be quite as pretty.
Quaternions are directly encoded by taking a 3D Clifford algebra together with the scalar element.
Trying to do this with Octonions and Sedenions is not quite as straight forward.
a 6D Clifford algebra happens to have 15 different bivectors, however, this sub-algebra would also generate quadvectors and the hexvector for this space. So you'd end up with 32 distinct elements in that space.

However, a 4D Clifford Algebra has 6 bivectors and its one pseudo-scalar quadvector. This, together with its scalar, should generate Octonions.
And a 5D Clifford Algebra generates 10 bivectors and 5 quadvectors. Taking those plus scalar should be able to generate the Sedenions.

I did not actually test if those are equivalent, but that's the easiest way of how I could see those algebras.

I did test something quickly though: The subalgebra of even-dimensional subspaces of an n-D Clifford Algebra actually has dimension 2^{n-1} for any dimension n. So my guess is that all those even-dimensional subspace subalgebras are precisely the, err, 2^{n-1}-ions.

Note that this trend also fits with the complex numbers. You have your elements {1, x, y, xy=I} of which the even sub-algebra is {1,I} and this happens to precisely model the complex numbers with the dimension 2^{2-1}=2^1=2.

This would interestingly mean that, technically, octonions are made up not just of planar rotations (or double-reflections) but also of 4-space rotations (4x-reflections) and sedenions even have a full-space rotation (6 consecutive reflections in different directions) of sorts.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 01:03:23 AM by kram1032 » Logged
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2014, 02:56:07 AM »

In this (rather large, 268 pages) journal, there is a paper (starting page 101) showing how to properly do calculus with arbitrary non-commutative variables (as you might find them in geometric algebra, for instance)
http://ejtp.com/articles/ejtpv11i31.pdf#page=101
I haven't looked into all the other papers in this thing, so I can't say if anything else interesting is in there. Feel free to dig through it all smiley
hermann
Iterator

« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »

Hallo Kram,

thanks for the information.

Some where it was stated that it was not possible to express octonions and sedonions but I can not remember the link.
The paper you posted looks very challanging. So I have my usual time constraints.
Also my holidays are know over and I am back in the company with challanging and time consuming jobs.

Normaly I prefere not to make software public before it is complete. But I discovered, that I can generate HTML-Documentation from GPS (Gnat Programing Studio).
So I have generated the documentation of my geometric algebra software to give a snapshot of the actual state of the work.
http://www.wackerart.de/mathematik/geometric_algebra.html#rainy_days
It is still very incomplete, but the tables generated with this software can be seen on my geometric algebra page:
http://www.wackerart.de/mathematik/geometric_algebra.html and in this thread.

I also made this incomplete work public to give you, jehovac and all in fractal forums a positive feedback for all the inspiration I have received.

Hermann
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:20:22 AM by hermann » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: