Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 01:40:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Is background transparency possible in png format?  (Read 3070 times)
CyanideClyde
Forums Newbie

« on: May 12, 2013, 01:23:28 AM »

I only started using this awesome program about a week ago, and I played around with a few versions to get a feel for it. I noticed in Mandelbulber, that you could save png's with a '+ alpha' option that replaced the background with transparency. Is it possible to do this in the new Mandelbulb 3D version 1.8.9? If so, how?

I tried saving the Z buffer(8 bit) png, and converting it's channel to a selection in Photoshop with poor results, i.e.  low fidelity. I don't have much experience with fractals, so any insight is much appreciated. I'm also curious whether there is any way to do transparency in other areas, such as the color bar stops or individual formulas...
 huh?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 03:17:59 AM by CyanideClyde » Logged
CyanideClyde
Forums Newbie

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 05:23:58 PM »

Okay,I see you can make an image with a clear background from the z-buffer png in Photoshop(CS5). Just use 'select> color range', with fuzziness set to 200 and make a selection by clicking the black area in the z-buffer image...next open the full color version of the png in PS(same dimensions), then 'select> all' and 'Edit> copy'. Next go to the z-buffer image in PS and 'Edit> Paste Special> Paste in Place', then with the pasted layer selected 'Edit> Clear' using the selection made earlier.

I don't know that this is the best way to do it, but it works. Complex images might require a little cleanup with the history brush, or use of a layer mask(selection active) instead of clearing the pixels.

lxh
Iterator

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:07:05 AM »

Well, it seems that you're on the right track but there are other ways to handle ZBuffer in Photoshop. I use it as a Layer Mask to get more control. Use Levels or Curves to simply pick the back- and foreground to black and white and use 'Refine Mask' to feather, smooth or shift the edges.

I've learned so much by my mistakes that I'm planing to do some more.
CyanideClyde
Forums Newbie

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 03:53:06 PM »

Thanks...that should be more precise.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: