Logo by HPDZ - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 08:40:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Building Mandelbulber on Windows with Visual Studio  (Read 5598 times)
neosettler
Forums Freshman

« on: April 30, 2013, 02:54:04 AM »

Greetings everyone,

I'm trying to build Mandelbulber with Visual Studio 2010. While this announced itself to be cumbersome, I hope to succeed. That said, I haven't found any documentation so far on how to build Mandelbulber (Regardless of which compiler one uses). It would be very appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction.

Neo
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 07:14:50 AM by neosettler » Logged
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 08:28:43 PM »

Greetings everyone,

I'm trying to build Mandelbulber with Visual Studio 2010. While this announced itself to be cumbersome, I hope to succeed. That said, I haven't found any documentation so far on how to build Mandelbulber (Regardless of which compiler one uses). It would be very appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction.

Neo

I use MinGW (32-bit) environment (with gcc compiler). To compile the program there are needed GTK2+ and libjpeg development libraries. The program is already prepared to compile for Win32. With VisualStudio 2010 will be difficult because it's not so compatible with GNU standards.

JohnVV
Conqueror

having fun

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »

It has been a while so.
But building gtk, and it's needed support software, on visual studio is a royal pain

using MinGW is by far much more easier

but if you want

start with searching for building the photo program " The Gimp" ( GTK = Gimp Tool Kit ) in VS

Running OpenSUSE 42.1-64bit & ScientificLinux-6.7-64bit
I don't pitch Linux to my friends,I let Microsoft do it for me!"
neosettler
Forums Freshman

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 04:32:23 AM »

Thank you very much for your inputs guys,

NOTE: I'm only interested in building for x64.

With VisualStudio 2010 will be difficult because it's not so compatible with GNU standards.

Well, I don't mind difficult, as long as it is not impossible!?

To compile the program there are needed GTK2+ and libjpeg development libraries.

Could you be more specific as which versions are needed? GTK2.? (seem to have two branches)

http://www.gtk.org/download/win64.php

There is several libjpeg out there and I'm not sure which one is needed.

It would be helpful if you could provide the thirdparty libraires as a separate download or maybe a "how to" document.

But building gtk, and it's needed support software, on visual studio is a royal pain

I'm still surprised that Visual Studio is considered like a black sheep and more often ditched by the open source community.

start with searching for building the photo program " The Gimp" ( GTK = Gimp Tool Kit ) in VS

Alright, thanks for the hint, I'll do that.

lukesleftleg
Navigator

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 06:30:22 PM »

Actually, I'd also be very grateful if someone could point us in the right direction if specific versions of the libraries are needed, although I'll be having a go at building using MinGW (with NetBeans and for Windows 32 bit).

Thanks very much in advance.
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 08:27:12 PM »

I'm still surprised that Visual Studio is considered like a black sheep and more often ditched by the open source community.

It's simple: GNU autotools and GNU make and gcc offer a single build environment that requires only minimal adjustments for compatibility with Windows.

Visual Studio uses a syntactically somewhat different make utility called nmake, and you cannot even build 64 bit binaries if you do not buy a commercial Visual Studio 2010 version.

The only cross-platform build approach that I know that will handle Visual C++ as well is cmake. But once you've started a project based on autotools, it is hard to switch to cmake.
neosettler
Forums Freshman

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 03:55:28 AM »

Thank you for your support,

I'm still looking for the libjpeg8 for windows but I cant find it so far. Anyone gathered all the necessary dependencies successfully?
JohnVV
Conqueror

having fun

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 01:17:10 AM »

when i was still using Windows and owned a full install of MS's VisualStudio
I found that 90%+ of the software i was building was gnu ported to windows

with building in VS it was necessary to build the project from scratch
import the cpp code and the required headers from an existing project
then build the lib's that are required ,the same way
but build those first
the same as i would if i wrote the whole thing from scratch

it took me a few weeks to build GTK2 and all the prerequisites

in contrast

Mingw / msys
from the terminal ( no GUI )
one day to install mingw , configure it
15 min. to run a "hello world" and debug it

then 30 min to install the needed software to build "The Gimp " ( the gtk2 & source was already installed with a few mouse clicks )
and 30 min build time

now there is some "fun" converting a mingw .so and .la to a Windows .dll
normally it is easy with mingw's "dlltool"

for a GUI there is "bloodshed's " DevC++
DevC++ can also act a a gui for installing prebuilt( *.dll & *.exe) code ( or source and/or dev *.h headers) in mingw

now if you ARE building a lot of MS's "share code" and .net code
then use VS !!!

the two ( VS and MinGW ) can ?? with CARE .Can be installed side by side
BUT !!!!!
mingw can NOT use the VS's dev files
and VS  CAN NOT use MinGW code

the headers are NOT COMPATIBLE

But once you've started a project based on autotools
the only issue is when M4 messes up
wrapping ones brain around the m4 macros is well like
having a " Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 01:34:18 AM by JohnVV » Logged