Logo by CorneliaYoder - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 04:29:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Volumetric light and reflections  (Read 8718 times)
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« on: April 23, 2013, 11:51:43 PM »

Hi Jesse,

Your new volumetric light feature is a fabulous, albeit difficult to control, new feature to M3D. I am having issues with the combination of volumetric light and reflections, however. Calculating selections does seem to freeze M3D in an infinite loop. If I calculate reflections for the complete render, it freezes the first time, but if I stop the calculation and restart it, it seems to work fine. Can you have a look at this? Thanks!

All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power (Ashleigh Brilliant)
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 12:19:48 AM »

Hi Madman,

i have not seen this issue yet, so if you got some sample parameters, please post or send per pm.
Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:02:54 AM by Jesse » Logged
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 11:22:54 PM »

OK, this is weird... I have this issue with three totally different sets of parameters (m3i files). But... if I rerender the same parameter sets from scratch, reflections work fine... Sorry to have bothered you. Must have been a crooked bit in my PC   grin

Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 12:02:31 AM »

Just a thought:

because Jeremie got this issues too, but couldn't repeat them as well, it might be due to a memory limitation!?
Especially when the renders were huge in size.
Memory limitations can always lead to unpredictable issues... but i would expect more that rendering would stop rather than loop forever.

Nevertheless, if someone got repeatable params with this issue, please tell!
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 12:49:42 PM »

I don't think this has to do with memory (at least from an available memory standpoint, I have 16GO, more than enough). Difficult to reproduce indeed but I've seen similar issues, yes, however not while using "calc selection". It had more to do with passing params back and forth between the navi, the main window, the animation editor.

Since VL I noticed that the navi crashes (whereas usually it's very stable) but again, I can find a step by step way to replicate. Not sure if there could be an issue for example when using VL together with DE Combinate....

I think the navi crash has a good probability to be the same issue as Madman: rendering time growing infinitely in the main window (I saw that a couple of times recently)

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Madman
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:05:49 PM »

I don't think it is memory either. I'm not doing anything exceptional (rendering mainly @ 3600 X 2400). It's interesting that you mention DE-combinate, bib, because two of the three parameter sets that have this issue are DE-combinates. That was the first link I made, but the fact that one of the parameter sets that misbehaves is a "normal" alternate set, threw that thesis overboard... If I find anything reproducable, I'll let you know.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: