Logo by reallybigname - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 10:49:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Any recommendations for good free video editor (OSX)  (Read 2744 times)
toxic-dwarf
Navigator

« on: April 07, 2013, 03:51:04 AM »

I have mad a short animation using mandelbulb3d , edited the individual frames in Photoshop using the 'automate->batch' function and compiled them into a video. Now I want to edit the video, using simple cut and paste, speed variation etc to try and use as a video for one of my tunes. I have tried iMovie and find it rather frustrating. Avidemux refuses to open and hyperengine-av is powerpc only. What do other users recommend instead?
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 04:59:35 AM »

hmm, i dont know if it works under mac, but in my eyes the best, and price worthy product would be "sony vegas" there exist many cheap versions below 100 euro
and editing like cutting or speed adjustments are really made ease through intuitive draging and dropping!

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
slon_ru
Iterator

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 05:50:36 AM »

Hi,
it simple, but powerful.
http://www.iskysoft.com/articles/virtualdub-video-editor-for-mac.html
br

toxic-dwarf
Navigator

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 07:17:09 AM »

I checked the virtualdub site http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net and they stated that there isn't a mac version.  suspious I always like to check stuff out before downloading and to be fair haven't heard many good things about iskysoft. I might try and download from the sourceforge site and run it in a wineskin.
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »

The Video Sequence Editor of the Blender Package is quite powerful, athough its UI needs getting used to like all the rest of blender.

http://www.blender.org/education-help/faq/mac-os-x/

and its available for 32 and 64bit Macs

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »

virtualdub is not suitable for cutting, it is rather just a converter with effects ... used to assemble a movie out of single images....

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 03:35:17 PM »

virtualdub is not suitable for cutting, it is rather just a converter with effects ... used to assemble a movie out of single images....

I used to do cutting and a wide variety of editing in VDub.  It's just got quite a few extra steps involved.

VD can only "append avi segments" - so if you manage to create all your segments, one at a time, you can then join them linearly.

It's a Royal Pain in The Patootie though.

That's why Non-Linear Video Editors are the choice of pros and amateurs with a budget everywhere.

But VirtualDub is capable of much more than it seems on the surface  (do a search for it's extensions and plug-ins - they can greatly expand it's capabilities).

Good luck with your projects.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 05:16:19 PM »

I used to do cutting and a wide variety of editing in VDub.  It's just got quite a few extra steps involved.

possible, but cumbersome. And I don't know a way to vary speed in VD

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 06:35:15 PM »

possible, but cumbersome. And I don't know a way to vary speed in VD

As with everything in VD, it's complicated, but possible.  You can change frame rates in individual segments made from image sequences, but since it wont compile avi segments having different frame rates properly you must take the extra steps of reopening the avi with the altered frame rate and then exporting a new image sequence - and then recompiling a new avi to re-import into your final project and append where needed.

WAY too much work if you have any alternatives at all - but still possible if you must stick with freeware.

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
taurus
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 09:32:24 PM »

WAY too much work if you have any alternatives at all - but still possible if you must stick with freeware.

naaah. for windows, mac and linux there are several non linear editing progs for free:

wax, jahshaka, cinelerra, blender and many more. for all of them there are video tutorials available, so there's no witchcraft required, to learn one of them.

toxic-dwarf
Navigator

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 07:17:38 AM »

Thank you all for the suggestions, but I have just discovered that Photoshop CS6 can process video in exactly the way I wanted and more! How have I used this program so much and never realised this! Goes to prove my observation skills are similar to that of a tennis ball! It handles audio as well, my mind has just been blown! I'll be uploading the result soon. Thanks again and i apologise for my muppetry (although i'm sure i will surface again soon!!!)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: