Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 07:29:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Newtonian Triples  (Read 2355 times)
Description: Newton, De Moivre and Sir Roger Cotes honoured
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« on: September 13, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »

For me Newton, De Moivre and Cotes are the most significant triple in modern mathematical science.

N(x,y,z) = xñ + yč + z$

Where n is the unity in honour of Newton
Č is the Cotes root of unity and $ is the De Moivre root of unity
Č$ = -n, č*-n= -č and $*-n =-$, č2=$ , $2=-č

N2(x,y,z)= x2ñ - z2č +y2$ + 2*( -yzñ + xyč+ xz$)

It is clear that these are not quaternions, but they demonstrate that quaternions are based on the roots of unity modulo 8, these  being based on roots of unity modulo 6.
 As my computer is down at the moment I wonder if anyone would be so kind as to code this up and render a mandelbulb for me. Just replace ñ,ç,$ by 1,i,j using the given transform.
The formula for higher powers I will discuss later.
For the theoretical background and a bit of historical blather see my blog
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:23:16 AM by jehovajah » Logged

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 01:07:36 PM »

So what you're saying is:

(x+iy+jz)² = x²-iz²+jy²+2(-yz+xyi+xzj)

so...

Code:
x =  x²-2yz + a
y = -z²+2xy + b
z =  y²+2xz + c

As proposed MSet?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:17:00 AM by kram1032 » Logged
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 09:54:05 PM »

Almost.

The labels 1,i,j have several meanings in such a formula. In my case they do not represent the underlying algebra, the coefficients however do. It may be that you have to code it with 1,i,j to get your app to render the kind of image I want to inspect. However, if you do not use i,j in your coding you shoul be ok to use the coefficient rules as you have stated.

I expect the generated image to be distorted into the Cartesian reference frame, but at this stage I do not want to apply correction values to portray exactly how it sits in space. Anyway I have not worked those out yet!

See what you can do with what you have thanks. I will be interested in your results.

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 10:58:12 PM »

(x,y,z)² = x²-iz²+jy²+2(-yz+xyi+xzj)

so...

Code:
Newx =  x²-2yz + Cx
Newy = 2xy-z² + Cy
Newz = 2xz+ y²+Cz

As proposed MSet?

Just to clarify it for any code warriors not used to this early stage of implementing a new formula.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:33:00 AM by jehovajah » Logged

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 09:01:17 AM »

The quaternion 8 group is not isomorphic to the roots of unity modulo 8 because of the non commutativity. This means it is homeomorphic to a related group, possibly the direct sum of the cyclic groups 2 and 4. While the logarithmic addition is commutative, the underlying product is not, making it truely a remarkable insight to combine the group elements precisely that way, and also explaining why it took ten years for Hamilton to realise this combination. There was no group theory then to help him out, and this is why he is, along with Grassmann, generally regarded as the fathers of modern Algebra.

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 10:03:07 AM »

My recent blog post explains how Hamilton's quaternions came to be non commutative. I also posit that a commutative version of the quaternions underpins it. Group theoretical structures are referenced, but I would refer the reader to Norman's excellent overview of group theory on his YouTube channel.

The Quaternions are a viable functioning reference frame, so why fix what works, right? Well would you not like them to be commutative, providing they do not mess up the fractals? That is all i am saying! Don't mess with the fractals, baby! grin
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:59:55 AM by jehovajah » Logged

Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 04:34:33 PM »

(x+iy+jz)² = x²-iz²+jy²+2(-yz+xyi+xzj)

so...

Code:
x =  x²-2yz + a
y = -z²+2xy + b
z =  y²+2xz + c

As proposed MSet?

Here I rendered m-brot and j-set of formula. Side extruded 3D fractal. All are rendered using Log Trichrome colouring, colour lines are z value gradients during all iterations.

IMHO it needs someting more, maybe some hidden coeffitients or something.
 You could test different formula versions, just download Chaos Pro and place your formula in formula file ( forFormula.cfm in forFormula.zip at the bottom), which actualy are text file. Just change zzx= zx*zx + .... All another needed code alredy are there. It have the most easy to use compiler of all, unless you can use assambler language and edit machine codes, then you can test with m3d;) Or GPU programming with no math libraries;) Of corse it don't means best renders ever.

* Newtonian_triplet_mset.jpg (31.68 KB, 316x299 - viewed 693 times.)

* Newtonian_triplet_julia2.jpg (24.47 KB, 317x261 - viewed 701 times.)

* Newtonian_triplet_mset2.jpg (23.09 KB, 369x271 - viewed 709 times.)
* forFormula.zip (1.44 KB - downloaded 139 times.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:41:10 PM by Asdam » Logged

fractal catalisator
Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 04:39:11 PM »

Here is 2D, m-brot inside and cutout on z=-0.0001. All the same colout method. IMHO, it needs much more.

* Newtonian_triplet_2D.jpg (36.19 KB, 480x360 - viewed 716 times.)

* Newtonian_triplet_inside.jpg (71.91 KB, 480x358 - viewed 706 times.)

* Newtonian_triplet_cutout.jpg (16.46 KB, 304x253 - viewed 708 times.)

fractal catalisator
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 02:12:48 AM »

Thanks Asdam! Some great colouring.

I will be able to work with what you have done, but I am very pleased to see the Mandelbrot like cross sections.
I suspect a few things may need adjusting to counter the fractal generator bias toward ijk but Good Job! cheesy

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 04:14:09 AM »

Ok, I am excited!
My original request was for a 3 d render to produce a mandelbulb. I think Asdams work is based on the notion of extruded fractals, but I am not familiar with Chaospro.

The render I am looking for may have to be placed in a quaternion frame  or a bespoke 3d renderer. What I expected was a twistedlathe image with lots of swirls. This can be controlled by getting the correct parameters even if it flattens the image.
Asdam,Good Job! Thank you so much! cheesy
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:17:35 PM by jehovajah » Logged

Alef
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 04:13:42 PM »

Ok, I am excited!
My original request was for a 3 d render to produce a mandelbulb. I think Asdams work is based on the notion of extruded fractals,mbut I am not familiar with Chaospro.

The render I am looking for may have to be placed in a quaternion frame  or a bespoke 3d renderer. What I expected was a twistedlathe image with lots of swirls. This can be controlled by getting the correct parameters even if it flattens the image.
Asdam,Good Job! Thank you so much! cheesy
There are lots of swirls and twists, but only in single plane and in XY cutout;)
If you want image with twisted swirls you'll need triplex math or maybe trigonometry. Or more complex polynomials;)

Best so far what I got using quadratic polynomials and modulus function is this:

zx=real(z);
zy=imag(z);
zz=abs(part_j(z));

zzx = zx*zx - zy*zy + 2*zz*zx  + Cx;
zzy = 2* zx * zy + 2* zz * zy   + Cy;
zzz= zz*zz - zy*zy  + abs(Cz);

z= quaternion(zzx, zzy, zzz, 0);
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:38:47 PM by Asdam » Logged

fractal catalisator
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 11:59:35 PM »

There are lots of swirls and twists, but only in single plane and in XY cutout;)
If you want image with twisted swirls you'll need triplex math or maybe trigonometry. Or more complex polynomials;)

Thanks again Asdam. Interesting form, but not what I expected to see from my formula. However your comments pinpointed the notation issue. I am used to Quasz so xyz are real and imaginary coefficients of 1,i,j!

Try
zx^2-2*zy*zz + cx=zzx
2*zx*zy-zz^2 +cy=zzy
Zy^2+2*zx*zz +cz =zzz
In the quaternion bracket.
Please allow zz to have its full variability.

The swirls in one plane refer to the extrusion render done previously, or have you other mandelbulbs not published?
Thanks for your support  grin

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:39:46 AM by jehovajah » Logged

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 07:55:02 AM »

Hey there.   Ended up with something very similar to Asdam's version.  Basically a very thick 2d Mandy.

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 08:34:54 AM »

Hey there.   Ended up with something very similar to Asdam's version.  Basically a very thick 2d Mandy.

Hiya Matt! Howya doing? cheesy

Yes this happens sometimes with me to! I remember when I first attempted to make a 3d version of Fracmonks formula. The important thing is the relationship between the coefficients and the frame used to display those coefficients. And then you do have to fiddle a bit .
Asdam's quaternion offering is very exciting, because this is what I might get with Quasz when I get my computer back.
It is such a long time since we did this we forget that simple mistakes in programming our fractal generators cause unexpected results, and differences in notation too!
Like your new work by the way, and I think it is important.

Thanks again guys A Beer Cup

Just an update, while i am analysing your results: I think I might try z=z^3 +c this being modulo 6 and all! Catchya later. Lol!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:48:52 PM by jehovajah » Logged

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »

Restrict y and z to<<1 to pick out Mandy's.

Working on cubic now.

RIP computer! cry repair man told me it died.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: