Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 10:19:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 24 - next weekend - 24th August, 2012  (Read 1668 times)
willvarfar
Explorer

« on: August 16, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »

Ludum Dare is like the biggest make-a-game-in-a-weekend competition going!

I will be entering a Jam team.  Historically drawing from Glest game modders but now I'm inviting in you fractal hackers too!

Previous contests my mates and I have done things like graphical text adventures and platform games.  This time we're fairly pre-decided to make a fly-around-a-3D-fractal-shoot'em-up using webGL.  We have some music and portal-style voice-over help this game too lined up.  We are getting better and better at finishing in time, and we're hopeful.  Last time we got 20,000 people to start playing (and a handful finished it!)

Please join us!  As a fractal designer, coder, or just play testing!  I think big teams are more fun.

You should of course make your own entry instead.  More entries is even better and competition welcome.  Last contest, Ludum Dare had 1,402 entries!

So make sure you have some time free this next weekend.  Fractals will shock and awe!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:56:43 PM by willvarfar » Logged
willvarfar
Explorer

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 05:34:45 PM »

Ludum Dare looms!

Can you make GLSL DEs or colouring functions?  Or Javascript?  We need you!  Please join my team
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:38:44 PM »

ok, how is the plan ? make a fractal game using glsl and js ?!

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
willvarfar
Explorer

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 10:35:31 PM »

Basically yes, that's our plan!

In a couple of hours the theme is announced.  Regardless of the theme, we'll likely end up making a multiplayer online 1st/3rd person space fighter game.  Ambition is to use fractal levels e.g. you flying, fighting and weaving around a mandelbox or bulb etc.  But its precisely the fractal and ray marching side that I am least competent at...
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 12:13:14 AM »

i am most certainly not in for a rushing project, especially hence i am not fond in the raymarching business, but a space lander/navigator game through a mandelbox/buld sounds doable wink

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 12:13:59 AM »

ego shooter seems harder because of the movement and colision detection of the characters with the ground....

---

willvarfar
Explorer

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 04:31:35 AM »

Luckily, for collision detection DE is *exactly* what you need, and GLSL and Javascript are just a find-replace of pow with Math.pow apart! smiley

Theme is Evolution.

(Glad the theme wasn't 1000 Kittens)

We'll work on theme integration later smiley

Right, I've started and sit in #ludumdare_glest on irc freenode.net.  We're Europeans so give my artist Mr War a while to wake up smiley
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 06:02:35 AM »

Good luck! Hope you have a great time and get a fantastic response.
If you win get some pictures and post here.
Fractals rule!

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
willvarfar
Explorer

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 11:21:48 PM »

We didn't slip the mandelbox in in the end Sceptical

But we are proud, pleased and enjoyed making our entry:
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-24/?action=preview&uid=10313

Its not fun alone, so if you play it try and get a friend to go to the same webpage at the same time, and you can shoot each other!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 09:39:18 AM »

Congrats

---

jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 04:13:06 AM »

Thanks for the update. embarrass

I still can't make out what you were doing! grin

Was it actually coding or a shoot em up or both?
I am not a gamer so forgive my ignorance, but sometimes my sons try to show me some "map" they have built in some game. Is it like fighting while building the landscape algorithms, the winner dominating the landscape as well as the opposition?

Anyway, some screenshots might help recruit more code warriors!

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
willvarfar
Explorer

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 05:04:27 PM »

It was a game-writing competition.  Over the weekend, we made a game.

Over 1400 other people/teams made games too on that same weekend and with that same theme.

This contest, the theme was 'evolution'.  You could imagine fractals - or at least procedurally generated content - 'evolving' in some way and being an intricate part of some game.

But my team went in a slightly different direction; we interpreted "survival of the fittest" as an ideal excuse for a dueling game:

Now there was lots of technical difficulties - its likely the only multi-player real-time 3D game ever entered in the Ludum Dare contest!

You can play it online yourself here: http://williame.github.com/ludum_dare_24_evolution/

Its no fun with no-one to shoot, so get your sons to go to the same webpage at the same time and you'll have some targets!
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 02:49:40 AM »

Thanks! You really are code warriors! grin

Pity about the team ,eh? I can see why you needed some fractal heads on board! Maybe next time some will be excited to join. I mean can you imagine coding evolving fractal backgrounds to this game? Awesome potential. wink

I read that some had slow connections that hampered the collaborative effort, but well done team!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: