Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 09:18:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: proposal for a contest or collaboration : 3D fractal chessboard  (Read 6192 times)
PhotoComix
Strange Attractor

« on: February 19, 2012, 04:10:40 PM »

I got the idea from http://tobaal.deviantart.com/art/madelbulb-chess-211893910

And the idea for a contest or maybe better for a collaboration is create a 3D fractal chessboard that should be:

1)complete of all pieces,

2)pieces must be recognizable

3)the final result should be printable by a 3D printer or anyway should become a real object at a reasonable price

4)also the board is needed...not a fractal board , i mean should be not too weird and must be usable,
still match well with the pieces

The best submission may become a fractalforums merchandise , the winner will win also a copy
(at soon the expenses are covered ..i.e at soon some are sold)
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:18:58 PM »

lol, this is a great idea, although i think it could not be pre-financed, 3d printing with so many parts can be expensive, but
i dont know how much it would be

but a mandelbulb chess board is definately something i wanna have in my cupboard cheesy

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 04:55:24 PM »

i'm afraid this idea is not so new. i've done this back in 2007. dunno if i was the first or if my solution is still contemporary - most of todays 3d fractal types were simply not contrived - but it should achieve all given goals (and i still have the meshes). i made them completely in quat, the only available serious 3d fractal type back then...
but i'm curious how a modern version of this project would look like... (hopefully not like that da stuff)

here's my "oldschool" solution
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1474388&user_id=263774&np&np (whole board with all chessmen)

the threat by taurus 2007
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:58:27 PM by taurus66 » Logged

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 05:39:52 PM »

Wow are you guys reading my mind? grin

I was thinking of a "chessboard vector field". Does somebody know a kind of field with those properties?

F(x,y) must be continue - or discontinue but NOT with a "change sign discontinuity"...
F(x,y) < 0 if int(x) + int(y) is even
F(x,y) > 0 if int(x) + int(y) is odd

In the meantime I continue thinking wink (probably something like sin(x)*sin(y) is ok)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 05:42:29 PM by DarkBeam » Logged

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
PhotoComix
Strange Attractor

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 06:21:40 PM »

Tauros your old school chessboard is really nice and close to what i have in mind

honestly i have no idea of the cost but maybe somebody here has access to a 3d printer  and like the idea
because the cost (for 1 or few prototypes )   depend much if somebody here has access to the hardware or not

I did some chessboard years ago and my cost was close to 0 because i have the clay, the oven the tool to cut the glasses and free glasses , free because leftover of a nearby shop.

But if i would have to commission a craftsman to do it the cost would be very high, : his time, the standard cost to cook the clay (3 times for each piece :1 for cook the object 2 for...not sure here of the word in English, 2 for give to the rough objects a nice surface ) the cost for the glass and its cutting.

Same if that chessboard was a request from one of my client instead that my personal project

That was a very different technology but i believe the same difference in the price apply in this case
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 06:34:49 PM by PhotoComix » Logged
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 07:41:53 PM »

Okay, I made the checkerboard now the rest is up to you guys A Beer Cup (boardIFS.m3f I am going to upload it)

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »

@darkbeam, rolling on floor laughing , what shall this formula do ? just a checkerboard`?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »

Yeah man cheesy it's not so easy as it seems btw, because actually it's monochrome and I don't know how to color it  rolling on floor laughing asked Jesse's help

Image here

If you iterate it you get a board with smaller and smaller squares whistling and rolling eyes

* uzz.JPG (59.64 KB, 788x557 - viewed 639 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: